Transformers: Escape miniseries

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

Re: Issue #2

Post by andersonh1 »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:25 amMegatron's devolution to explicit tyrant seemed, to me, to happen so quickly that it makes me think that may have been his plan all along; that all the bold ideals might have just been a facade.
I think you're right. How did Codexa evaluate him in issue 26?

"How stupid of me not to have seen it long ago. It's not about the cause, it's about you. Self-elevation. Self-glorification. You mislearned every lesson I tried to teach."
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: Issue #2

Post by Ursus mellifera »

andersonh1 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:48 pm
Ursus mellifera wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:25 amMegatron's devolution to explicit tyrant seemed, to me, to happen so quickly that it makes me think that may have been his plan all along; that all the bold ideals might have just been a facade.
I think you're right. How did Codexa evaluate him in issue 26?

"How stupid of me not to have seen it long ago. It's not about the cause, it's about you. Self-elevation. Self-glorification. You mislearned every lesson I tried to teach."
You're right! I forgot about that.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Re: Transformers: Escape miniseries

Post by andersonh1 »

Hard to believe it was February 10, over three months ago, that issue #2 came out. What in the world is going on with IDW? Is it printer problems? Distribution? IDW itself having issues? I have no idea, but these books are absurdly late. The series ought to have wrapped up by now, but we've just hit the halfway point.

Escape #3 - Thankfully the plot elements are still interesting enough to keep me engaged with the story. Dai Atlas struggles to explain his experiences as an immersant and can't, the Insecticons have apparently used Skystalker to steal the cloning technology, and Straxus is reluctant to let anyone too near Darkmount, because he's focused on the bots in his care. The insecticons are pretty horrific in this continuity, obsessed with eating both organic aliens and other Transformers. We also get an explanation for the Seekers and their identical body type as attempts to clone Skywarp and his teleportation that failed. Only the body type was recreated.

Good issue, long overdue. Spins its wheels a bit in terms of the evacuation plot, but other ideas and plots advance and they're worth following. I hope we don't have to wait three months for issue 4.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Escape #3:

"Escape" seems to take place between issues 26-9.

I suspect that "Escape" is being published separately from the main series for the sake of pacing. Including this run as part of the main series would have disrupted the pacing of both.

This is more forgivable because "Escape" is readable enough on its own.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

This issue continues the recent trend from recent issues, showing the Autobots and Decepticons becoming the factions most people remember from the original series.

The Autobots, despite not being inclined to fight, are obligated to do so (most directly represented by Dai Atlas reclaiming his sword). And, the Decepticons material advantages are off-set by the fact that they cannot trust each other. (The issue opens with two Decepticons trying to kill the Insecticons.)

It is safe to assume that next issue will show the Insecticons massacring civilians, pushing the Autobots to take up arms against the Decepticons.

Up until now, Ruckley's run has been a "Year One" style origin story. Obviously, original stories have to end at some point. But, art aside, I am optimistic that Ruckley will be able to maintain the quality of the writing after this particular phase e
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:09 am Up until now, Ruckley's run has been a "Year One" style origin story. Obviously, original stories have to end at some point. But, art aside, I am optimistic that Ruckley will be able to maintain the quality of the writing after this particular phase e
The original story is over! FINISHED!!

*cough*

I'm with Ruckley until he leaves, or the story takes a major downturn for at least half a year. I feel like the BW comic is really helping me accept the art in the main series and its spin-offs.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:09 am This issue continues the recent trend from recent issues, showing the Autobots and Decepticons becoming the factions most people remember from the original series.

The Autobots, despite not being inclined to fight, are obligated to do so (most directly represented by Dai Atlas reclaiming his sword). And, the Decepticons material advantages are off-set by the fact that they cannot trust each other. (The issue opens with two Decepticons trying to kill the Insecticons.)

It is safe to assume that next issue will show the Insecticons massacring civilians, pushing the Autobots to take up arms against the Decepticons.

Up until now, Ruckley's run has been a "Year One" style origin story. Obviously, original stories have to end at some point. But, art aside, I am optimistic that Ruckley will be able to maintain the quality of the writing after this particular phase e
I agree, he's finished with the "here's how the Civil War began" and has set up the current status quo with Autobots as underdogs. I figured Dai Atlas would have to find some reason to fight, otherwise why bring the character into the story at all? Whether he'll survive against a horde of Insecticon clones is another question. Given where this book is going and given the status quo in Transformers 31, this book feels somewhat like the multiple divided factions we saw back in War Withn 2, if not quite that extreme yet.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Transformers: Escape #5

Surprisingly, the final issue. (I had assumed it would be 6 issues.)

And, surprisingly, it did not end with a blood-bath. I had expected more/most of the refugees to be die, providing heroic motivation for Hound and other Autobots to militarize against Megatron. Instead, enough of the aliens make it off Cybertron to.....set up for something later. If this run of comics lasts, it is safe to assume that Dai Atlas' alien charges will be back.

One of the more striking things about the aliens' escape was how clear it was (despite the art). Ruckley's writing makes it clear that most of the aliens make it off planet alive. This sort of clarity is rare in comics. Marvel and DC are both guilty of showing mass-killings, and not being clear how many (even by rough percentages) survivors there are. In some cases, art and writing contradict each other. In some cases, the writing is not consistent page by page.

In this case, there are clearly survivors. The Autobots were (mostly) successful. And, instead of a cliche disaster, their motivation is simple guilt about the fact that they allowed a large number of refugees under their protection to be expatriated. (That should be enough to force a heroic change in perspective.)

The probable return of Dai Atlas' aliens is telegraphed by their survival, and the fact that they are not written as helpless children. Wheeljack and Gears put down a large number of insecticons using technology they borrowed from one of the aliens (who specifically points out the logic of developing weapons that can kill a transformer).

So far, this is my favorite run of Transformers since it started.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Escape #5 - good review, Dom. Transformers 31 spoiled the fact that Straxus abandoned Darkmount, so that didn't surprise me,
Spoiler
but the loss of one of the three ships with all hands aboard did. The "rain" of the dead falling to the ground below after the ship is destroyed was a strong visual, and it adds yet another disaster to the growing list of death and disaster since this series began. There is no turning Megatron into some noble fighter against an evil regime who went bad here, all of this is his fault. All the metaphorical blood shed in this series is on his hands. So Darkmount becomes an Autobot refuge and fortress, Dai Atlas goes with the aliens who are able to leave Cybertron, and we have Straxus and his refugees out there somewhere.
It's a solid resolution to the story that leaves plenty of characters in play for future use.