Transformers: Escape miniseries

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

Transformers: Escape miniseries

Post by andersonh1 »

5 page preview is available: https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/12/29/idw ... ore-426721

Looks like what's going on here could easily fit right into the main series as subplots.

- Hound is attacked by Insecticons, who are feeding off some of the aliens living and taking refuge on Cybertron
- Wheeljack is struggling to grasp all that's changed on Cybertron while he was on the winged moon
- Ratchet stands up for his patients as Gutcruncher and others try to literally drag them out of the hospital

It's good stuff, definitely got me interested in the rest of the series.
andersonh1

Re: Transformers: Escape miniseries

Post by andersonh1 »

Escape #1 was another excellent Transformers issue, and it feels like part of the main series. Being written by the regular writer no doubt helps with that.
Spoiler
- the Insecticons are creepy and dangerous, which is always a good thing. Not only are they a threat to the aliens living on Cybertron (which is, in itself, a nice concept) but Shrapnel would have probably killed Hound if help hadn't arrived. Having the Insecticons develop a taste for organic life adds to their depravity.
- Hound's love of the natural world (Earth, of course, in his original tech spec bio) means that he fits well in the role of concern for the organic species living on Cybertron and their environment. There are some strong character choices by Ruckley for the various plot strands.
- Ratchet is great here, standing up for his patients at great personal risk. Hoist calmly thinking on his feet and using the surgical instruments as potential weapons to back up his refusal to surrender patients is a great moment for the character. We don't see Hoist do a lot in most continuities, so this is another example of a b-lister being used well, something I always appreciate.
- I'm glad I bought E-hobby Road Rage back in the day. Makes me appreciate the character's role in the story all the more. Good fiction can enhance my appreciation for a figure and vice versa.
- I've never seen Zone, so I'm not very familiar with Dai Atlas, but it's still cool to see him break his immersed state at the end of the issue, presumably to come aid the A'ovans.
- I think there's more than enough story here to support this mini-series running alongside the main storyline. Transformers has an abundance of characters and it's good to see some of the non A-listers headlining a story of their own.
- last of all, Optimus Prime is finally in charge, and making some good calls. His compassion is evident here, and he's not the angry, impulsive leader that Sentinel often seemed to be. Looking forward to more from him.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Man, Hoist was already one of my favorite characters, but now?

That dude is EPIC.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Issue 1

Post by Dominic »

This issue outlines the escalation of the war. Any moral foundation that Decepticons initially had is gone in this issue.
it feels like part of the main series.
Complete with the writing being offset by terrible art...
Man, Hoist was already one of my favorite characters, but now?

That dude is EPIC.
Did anyone else notice Flatline in that scene?

I am wondering what Ruckley is planning to do here. Is Flatline going to be written as joining the Decepticons out of misplaced loyalty, or simple depravity?
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: Issue 1

Dominic wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:24 pmDid anyone else notice Flatline in that scene?

I am wondering what Ruckley is planning to do here. Is Flatline going to be written as joining the Decepticons out of misplaced loyalty, or simple depravity?
In an earlier issue he's fixing up Shockwave, and says something about how he's duty bound to fix any Cybertronians who need it. I think he's going to end up as a Decepticon because some Autobots will run across him fixing up Decepticons, and will brand him as one, so he'll have no choice.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

He's also in issue 10 repairing Sideswipe. In some ways he's like Cyclonus in this series, in that I'm not quite sure how either will end up on the Decepticon side of the conflict. They may or may not in this continuity.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

andersonh1 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:06 am He's also in issue 10 repairing Sideswipe. In some ways he's like Cyclonus in this series, in that I'm not quite sure how either will end up on the Decepticon side of the conflict. They may or may not in this continuity.
I still really want to find out if Cyclonus is actually seeing ghosts, or he's just severely mentally ill.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Escape #2
Lots of interesting things going on in this issue.
Spoiler
- The Insecticons are tired of waiting for Shockwave to clone them and implant a cerebro-shell in Skystalker, so he can spy for them. Shockwave thinks they are excellent cloning material but does not want them to know. I think at some point we're clearly going to see this spill over into conflict.
- This Shockwave is not the emotionless, implacable villain of the previous continuity. I have no doubt that guy would have wiped the floor with the Insecticons, but I don't think we quite have the measure of Ruckley's version yet.
- Hound's explanation for why he cares so much about alien life is a nicely written scene, and I enjoy the contrast we got just as we did last issue comparing the brevity of organic life contrasted with the sheer length of Cybertronian life
- Geomotus mentioned way back in issue 16 or 17 maybe that there were geological problems, and we get a lot more details on just how bad they potentially are as Highbrow negotiates with Straxus (not a villain here) for the Arks in his possession.
- the Decepticons attack the refugee convoy in the open countryside and the Autobots are hard pressed to defend it, only to be saved by Dai Atlas, whose reputation alone scares off the attackers. He's evidently not at all who he was after so much time immersant.
- And in the end, the Insecticons are back, attacking the same convoy that the others had been after, though of course they want to consume the organics.
So we get forward motion on the mini-series storyline, as well as touching on the planetary issues from the main series. Perhaps that issue 1 cover with Cybertron splitting isn't metaphorical after all...
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Issue #2

Post by Dominic »

Escape #2:

I am done complaining about the art. In fact, I will find something nice to say about the art. The art in current Transformers comics makes me glad that there are action figures to serve as good renditions of the characters.

(Joking aside,I am done with the art. Complaining about it ain't helping, and only takes up space on the forum. I recently made a similar resolution about Carmella in WWE. Her matches and promos suck. Everybody knows it. Stating the obvious ain't fixing the problem.)

Most of the writing this issue is telegraphing the extinction of those alien refugees (which will push Hound and a few others in to becoming soldiers).

Megatron is stated to be specifically focused on keeping certain Autobot's from leaving, meaning that he is becoming the sort of tyrant he once stood against. This is significant because Ruckley is writing both "Escape" and the main series.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: Issue #2

Dominic wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:44 am Most of the writing this issue is telegraphing the extinction of those alien refugees (which will push Hound and a few others in to becoming soldiers).
It will also be a sore spot that drives the Autobots to zealously protect Earth from the same fate.
Dominic wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:44 am Megatron is stated to be specifically focused on keeping certain Autobot's from leaving, meaning that he is becoming the sort of tyrant he once stood against. This is significant because Ruckley is writing both "Escape" and the main series.
Megatron's devolution to explicit tyrant seemed, to me, to happen so quickly that it makes me think that may have been his plan all along; that all the bold ideals might have just been a facade.