Requiem of the Wreckers

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

Requiem of the Wreckers

Post by andersonh1 »

This is apparently the third and final "Wreckers" book from IDW, wrapping up loose ends from the previous two series. I never read "Sins of the Wreckers", so there's likely a lot of story that would help me better understand what's going on in this book, but I grasped enough of it to get by. It's written and mostly drawn by Nick Roche (no James Roberts in the credits) with flashback pages by classic TF artist Geoff Senior. I'm not sure exactly where it fits in the IDW timeline, but it's at some point where relations between Earth and the Transformers are not in a good place, and Kup is dead.

Verity Carlo and Springer are the protagonists, and it's nice to see that Verity hasn't been forgotten. She and Springer discuss Kup's death and flashbacks to when Springer met Kup are drawn by Geoff Senior, so there's a visual difference between present and past. Both have dropped out of the Autobot/Decepticon conflicts, which aren't really a full blown war at this point. When Springer is assaulted and taken away while Verity is watching, she calls in Impactor to help. The story wraps up IDW's plotlines with Overlord, gives Springer and Impactor some closure, and involves Tarantulas for some reason (no doubt Sins of the Wreckers would clear this up for me). Tarantulas plans to send Overlord into various past eras to mess up the timeline and collect specimens for him to study, and has built a "time door" for lack of a better term. Overlord just wants to kill Megatron as many times as he can.

Overlord is defeated (and I think they came up with a reasonable way to defeat the unstoppable phase sixer), Springer goes into the past to live his life quietly and affect history, and Verity locates her mom.

These later IDW Comics always leave a slightly bad taste in my mouth when I revisit them, and I'm reminded of why I quit reading. I can't quite nail down just what it is,but the tone of the book, the underlying darkness, the characters with few redeeming virtues, the non stop quippy dialogue... it all adds up to a product that is just slightly too far on the cynical side for me to really get into. That being said, I wanted to read the book to see how certain storylines that I was interested in finally turned out, so from that perspective it's good to see Overlord, Verity and Springer's IDW finale as characters. Nick Roche does his usual great job with artwork. If nothing else, the book provided some closure on several things that I was still curious about, so it was worth reading for that.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Requiem of the Wreckers

Post by Dominic »

i suspect that Requiem was rushed, and probably had a lower page count than planned.

Requiem and Sins were both trying to build on the success of Last Stand, but worked too hard to find things to add. (The back-written logic of Springer's name was a little too poncy for me.)

I disagreed with "Last Stand of the Wreckers", but appreciate the quality of the writing. (Yes, Impactor committed a war crime. But, it was not *that* bad.) The later entries lacked a qualitative or intellectual hook.