Transformers Kingdom

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers Kingdom

Post by Dominic »

Given that Tigatron is a re-sized Cheetor, and the relative ease of changing CAD files, the proportions on the beast mode (and the gut-gun not fitting in both modes) bother me. Would it have been that difficult to re-scale the beast legs to look like a healthy tiger, rather than simply up-scaling the spindly cheetah legs?

"Kingdom" has been uneven. There have been real gems (such as Galvatron or Pipes). Some good repacks or reetools (Starscream or Inferno). But, that is balanced against the Skeletonizers, or Hasbro mixing the line with the 2th anniversary of "Beast Wars" and the mix and match "Studio Series". This is made even worse by the fact that 2019 and 2020 were so well planned and managed.

I am functionally done. I got the G2 Ramjet with the intention of it being my last figure (TF or otherwise) for a long time. The week that Ramjet shipped, I picked up "Kingdom" Shadow Panther and "Cyberverse" Slag/Slug.

If I happen to see Pipes, I might grab it. (Target is on my grocery rotation.)

The "Legacy" line does not look bad. But, the clear plastic gimmick looks like Hasbro is trying to hide the fact that "Legacy" is just a filler line using left-over tooling. I almost want Blaster, but Eject being clear is enough to make me thing twice, and thinking twice makes me wonder if Hasbro will make all 4 of his main tapes. (Hasbro skipped Buzzsaw for Soundwave, but the shared molding with Ravage and Lazerbeak makes Buzzsaw all but impossible.)

And, with the future of the comics being uncertain, I might be done.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Managed to find a Kingdom Tigatron today...

It isn't simply a resized version of Cheetor. There actually are a few differences between the two.

It's great that Tigatron actually comes with the gut gun, but I was expecting it to integrate with his beast mode like the original toy. Unfortunately, the handle just pegs into a slot on his stomach, so it's upside-down and doesn't blend in at all. The tail weapon is also a bit disappointing. While Cheetor's tail took after his Transmetal form with a hook on it, Tigatron's is just the tail. I just wish they'd done a more with it. It looks a little silly when it's just a tiger's tail in his hand.

The detail is pretty good on the figure. The robot mode head in-particular I think looks great, aside from some fur detail on the back of his head, necessary for his transformation. I like that the tiger's hind legs integrate better into his robot legs than Cheetor. They don't stick out like they do on Cheetor, making the figure look a little more solid.

For the most part, I think it's an improvement over the Cheetor mold. But there are still a few things I have to question why they made the design choices they did that could have made it a little better...
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I think Dom is right that they are starting from the same CAD files, but they definitely diverged designs after that. The shoulder wings, the chest panels, stuff like that is very different on Tigatron. Even the heads are different, despite Tigatron looking like an upscaled deluxe in the face.

I totally agree that the back legs being so spindly looks bad, especially on Tigatron, there's no excuse for that especially at the upper hips.

And yeah, that tail weapon isn't even jointed, this figure feels like someone just took the day off when getting to the final design portion. It weighs so little, too. Of all the Kingdom figures I have, Tigatron was the first I felt like returning for just being underwhelming (Scorponok is so bad he's laughable).
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I did some painting to my Kingdom Tigatron...

Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

It looks like you sharpened details, which Hasbro really should not have given you the chance to do.

Good work and all. But, Hasbro really should not be leaving those gaps for fans to plug.

Discounting your custom work, how does Tigatron compare to Cheetor or Panther? Better? Worse?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I'll throw my 2 cents in despite the question posed to Sparky...

Tigatron feels better in some ways and worse in others than Cheetor. Better in that there's less fragility, obviously, and things like the lower legs fit together more whole than Cheetor where they're just left out front, the wings are shaped better, the hands don't have chunks of kibble on them. But the shoulders are set further back which looks bad, the head and crotch sculpt feel much less sharp than Cheetor or any voyager-class, the side-torso panels don't integrate as well, the tail-whip is less interesting and the figure feels incredibly lightweight for its size. Alt mode doesn't feel exceptionally better than Cheetor's, same rear leg flaw, gut gun doesn't have integration and there's an unfinished section where it should go that just leaves the smooth crotch part exposed.

Honestly, it's two steps forward and almost two steps back with Tigatron, the good is ok and the bad is weak.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:55 am It looks like you sharpened details, which Hasbro really should not have given you the chance to do.

Good work and all. But, Hasbro really should not be leaving those gaps for fans to plug.
Yeah, it's a shame Hasbro seems to keep scrimping on the paint apps. There's a lot of nice detail they put into these molds that are obviously intended to be painted. I've painted all the Kingdom Maximals at this point, except for Airazor.

Discounting your custom work, how does Tigatron compare to Cheetor or Panther? Better? Worse?
Like Jedi said... In some ways I'd say Tigatron is an improvement over Cheetor, and others, it feels like a step back. The robot mode legs for example... This is exactly what I think they should have done with Cheetor, with the beast mode legs incorporated into the leg rather than sticking out awkwardly. It really helps the figure feel more solid in robot mode. The drawback for Tigatron however, the legs in beast mode are a little too thin for a tiger. Cheetor's crotch piece is a panel that fold's up during transformation, while it doesn't move at all on Tigatron, so it remains visible on the underside of the tiger. It also is a feels bulkier on Tigatron, since it's a molded part of the figure's waist section. It's nice that they actually gave Tigatron the gut gun. I wouldn't have gotten Cheetor if not for an upgrade set I found on Amazon. The downside for Tigatron is that the gut gun doesn't incorporate at all with the beast mode. They could have used it to cover the robot mode's crotch piece! And his tail whip weapon is incredibly boring. It's literally just a tiger tail. At least for Cheetor they made it somewhat like this Transmetal figure's weapon by adding a hook to it.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Amazon has let me know Terroraur has shipped and should arrive tomorrow.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Kingdom Slammer, I've heard some reports that he is incredibly loosey-goosey, but my copy is adequate. The torso joints aren't the tightest so he does change poses when handling, but my copy holds together fine, even the small part at the top of the backpack has a little friction when fully pressed in. He's a fun robot, looks good and the right kind of burly, even though it's weird that he shares a head style with Tailgate. His cannon plugs onto his forearm and has no pegs of its own, although you could borrow the backpack part to make it a handheld gun; or you could use more of the backpack parts to make the nifty tread chainsaw weapon. Transformation is the standard Weaponizer parts-former routine, what's neat is nearly every single part is used for the exterior of the vehicle, only the crotch piece ends up folded into the underside. Vehicle mode is a great homage to the original toy, this adds some black paint and some nice sculpted detailing. It rolls poorly due to the rear wheel having too much friction. Weaponizer mode is a big snore, the only really notable part are the rocket pods on the overbuilt backpack.

All in all, I'm giving Slammer a B.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Something I forgot to mention but is part of why my grade's only a B on Slammer: Slammer eschews WFC blast effects compatibility. There are no 3mm pegs and his main cannon is larger than 5mm (it feels like 6mm at most). Moreover, he doesn't have all the standard 5mm ports, there are still plenty but they aren't as many as the standard; ironic as those ports are for weaponizer compatibility yet this weaponizer has them, outside the BW crew I don't know that's the case on any of the others.

It's a shame seeing blast effects and weaponizer compatibility disappear, they're a big part of what I liked about this system. It does make it easier for me to back slowly out of Transformers entirely though.