Transformers Kingdom

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers Kingdom

Post by Sparky Prime »

I just got Optimus Primal... For a Voyager class, it's on the small side, only a little bigger than a Deluxe from the original Beast Wars line. Which is actually the perfect scale for this figure to be. Optimus was about a head taller than Cheetor was in the show. So this works perfectly scale wise, especially compared to the original Ultra figure, which didn't fit in scale with anybody. I didn't really like the look of the gorilla mode from the promotional pictures, but like Shockwave and Ursus said, I think it looks a lot better in person. Robot mode is extremely good. My only gripe with the figure is some of the color choices. For a figure with so much detail and attention to show accuracy, I think they could have done a little more to get the colors perfect.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Generations Selects Transmutate has been revealed... Unfortunately, it's a remold of Kingdom Fossilizer Paleotrex rather than a new show accurate mold. I do kinda like how the mouth opens up to replicate the sonic scream Transmutate had in the show. I get why they choose the Fossilizer body, as it sorta replicates the unfinished look Transmutate had. But I think they could have done better personally...
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Sparky Prime wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:34 pm I get why they choose the Fossilizer body, as it sorta replicates the unfinished look Transmutate had. But I think they could have done better personally...
I'd have preferred some heavier retooling to what they did, as well. At least she can blow apart into little pieces just like in the show? Now they need to make a Silverbolt and Razorclaw to cry over her remains.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Is anyone else looking at "Kingdoms" and thinking that the line is unfocused?

It is partly a continuation of the last 2 years, with modern toys based on the G1 character models. It is partly a "Beast Wars" 25th Anniversary (which really should have been its own line). There are a few toys that look like hold-overs from Studio Series (Cyclonus, Galvatron), and the skeleton dinos that nobody cares about.

Is this making anyone else less interested over-all?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:35 am Is anyone else looking at "Kingdoms" and thinking that the line is unfocused?

It is partly a continuation of the last 2 years, with modern toys based on the G1 character models. It is partly a "Beast Wars" 25th Anniversary (which really should have been its own line). There are a few toys that look like hold-overs from Studio Series (Cyclonus, Galvatron), and the skeleton dinos that nobody cares about.

Is this making anyone else less interested over-all?
Sort of? I guess? I mean, I'm not interested in the skeleton dinos or Warpath, but I've been interested in the rest of it and so far it's been pretty good. Also, this might be Hasbro's way of tying all of those characters into one single setting. BW has always been considered an extension of G1, but I think the fandom has mostly regarded them separately. Or, if not separately, then not as existing simultaneously (similar to Kirk and Picard: One set of characters existing long after the previous one is assumed to be deceased). I can see this working for them in later lines if they want to continue to use characters from both in futures lines. It's setting a precedent.

So no, I guess it's not making me less interested. Studio Series 86 has me less interested in terms of me already having better versions of several characters: Hot Rod/Rodimus, Kup, Jazz. I actually found Kup and Jazz at a Walmart yesterday and was not impressed enough to want them to replace the ones I currently have. If I still had the Japanese TR Blurr, it would have been the same. I only got Grimlock because I want to mold and make lighter clear copies of that chest piece everyone is complaining about. But as for my collection, I have a Grimlock that is in scale with versions of the other four Dinobots and a better Wheelie that actually transforms. In fact, the only reason I have any of the SS86 figures is because I didn't have a Blurr and I'm pretty sure Scourge was an impulse/stress purchase. That lead to Kingdom Cyclonus. I don't regret those purchases, but I wasn't really planning on getting either one of them.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

It does seem odd to me to have a mix of G1, BW and the Fossilizers in this line. I wouldn't say it makes me less interested over-all, but I do wish the line was more focused. I'd much rather the line had focused entirely on the Beast Wars characters.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The 25h Anniversary of "Beast Wars" should have been its own line.

Fossilizers never should have been released.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:49 am The 25h Anniversary of "Beast Wars" should have been its own line.
Yup.
Dominic wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:49 am Fossilizers never should have been released.
They seem like a gimmick to me to keep the parts-formers going. Micromaster bases for Siege and Earthrise, and Fossilizers for Kingdom. I don't know why they wouldn't just continue the Micromaster bases for the entire trilogy. I think there are more they could have made.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Unfocused is exactly what it is. It's trying to be equal parts Earthrise, Beast Wars homage, and Studio Series 86, which the axiom says makes it a master of none, but it actually seems to embody Generations as a line entirely, for all its good and ills. I can't imagine the Netflix 'show' will be anything like this line, but as a toy line it's no worse than Earthrise, while sticking the landing on figures like Cyclonus.

I got Rattrap, he's too small for scale with the BW cartoon but looks good with Voyager Primal and Deluxe Blackarachnia. There are some very curious design choices on Rattrap, leaving out locking tabs for the bot shoulders and the beast mode hind legs, leaving out matching paint on the torso, but overall he's better than I expected.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'm in for most of Kingdom. Sort of. I got Rattrap, core class Prime, Air Razor, Huffer and Arcee. I had passed on Arcee in ER because I still have the Generations one. After getting Elita-1 and Paradron Medic and actually handling the mold in hand, I decided to get Arcee. Huffer knocks it out of the park. It's everything I wanted it to be. Air Razor far exceeded my expectations, especially in beast mod. Her beak is articulated. And super Tiny.

Also, my Rattrap's beast mode legs tab in the back. Mabye you mistransformed it, I wouldn't blame you since I did first few times out as well.

I am going to pass on Ultra Magnus. I like the Siege one just fine and while there are a lot of remolded parts, they are not significantly different enough for me to warrant the change. I'm also out for the Fossilizers and Warpath. Warpath I still have the Generations one and I just don't care about the fossilizers. Studio Series 86 has been more of a let down for me, I only have the three figures and one of those I only purchased for parts remolding purposes.