new "Transformers '84" series announced

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

Re: new "Transformers '84" series announced

Post by andersonh1 »

Thanks to Dom for sending me this mini-series. I have only read scattered issues from early in the Marvel run that this series is written around, and almost none of the UK series, so a lot of the context is lost on me. I started reading Marvel Transformers around issue 46 and only went back and picked up scattered issues from before that. Most of it works despite that, some of it does not. I agree with all of you that the art is excellent, and I appreciate the retro-coloring of the issues and the screen patterns in the color to emulate the old-style printing.

I like the setup, i.e. "here's the war, but here's behind the scenes stuff you didn't know about" as narrated by Punch/Counterpunch, who saw most of it in his role as a double agent. Part of that role was keeping the location of the downed Ark a secret, even on medieval Earth when Cloudlane and Fastraker run across it by chance, and it turns out the whole mission of the Ark was a ploy to lure Megatron away from Cybertron to give the remaining Autobots a better chance at taking the planet back. When Punch talks about no one getting out with clean hands, it's his downing of the Autobot clones he's no doubt referring to. This issue works pretty well as a one-off, and oddly it lacks the authors notes in the back of the book that issues 1-4 contain, telling us about some of Furman's storytelling choices.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Don't thank me.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I'm going to be thankful anyway, because I have to say, I'm liking the book so far.

Transformers 84 - Secrets and Lies #1
Punch/Counterpunch remains the narrator of this story, detailing what "really" went on behind the scenes of some of the early Marvel Transformers issues. Last issue detailed how the mission of the Ark was in reality an attempt by Optimus Prime to lure Megatron off of Cybertron and destroy him in the hopes of giving the Autobots still on the planet a better chance to win the war. This issue details Shockwave's frustrated attempts to complete "Project Dreadnought", massive engines with which to steer Cybertron around the galaxy to plunder technology and resources, while all of his resources are going towards the war effort. So both Prime and Shockwave have concluded that Megatron is the problem, and both are working in different ways to take him off the board.

In Skyfire/Jetfire's original cartoon appearance, he was a former scientist and friend to Starscream, also once a scientist, and I enjoy Furman appropriating that idea for use in this issue so that we actually see the two as colleagues, working together on Shockwave's project. And as usual for a Furman book, Grimlock gets a lot of page time, but since I like the guy that's fine with me. I love seeing Shockwave jet around in gun form and take out the Dinobots all by himself. We might sum this issue up as "Shockwave plots against Megatron", and it makes a good issue even though I don't have a lot of familiarity with the original Marvel G1 issues it references.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I checked my Marvel Transformers issues and I have 1, 2, 4 and 5, then it jumps to 22 and then 41. I have all of the series from 41-80, but I've read very little of the first half. I have a few of the IDW Generations reprints, but I don't recall which issues they are.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Transformers 84 - Secrets and Lies #2
We get at least one movie line to open this issue. "Let the slaughter begin!" Megatron tells his troops as Counterpunch continues the story, and we get another later on as Ultra Magnus gets Springers line about the Decepticons making their big push. That takes me out of the story a bit since I'm so aware of the original context, but it's a speed bump as things keep moving along. I love the panels with dozens of Transformers all on the page fighting each other. It's the type of thing we don't see much in modern TF comics. The Dinobots are salvaged by Wheeljack and Ratchet, and Perceptor figures out that Shockwave altered Cybertron's course through space. I'm not familiar with Straxus, having not read the issues where he shows up, but his rise to power is set up here. Shockwave's intention is for all the Autobots on the Ark and all the Decepticons under Megatron that followed them to die so he can return to Cybertron and complete project Dreadnought, so he's very much Marvel Shockwave, willing to get rid of anyone standing in the way of his goals. If you're a Shockwave fan, this mini-series is a great showcase for the character.

We get another Dinobot/Shockwave fight, and it's great to see classic Dinobots again. They don't do any better against Shockwave than they did last time, until Grimlock juices up on unrefined Energon. That's a little too convenient a plot device to introduce with no explanation about where Swoop got it, so the issue ends on a sour note, but overall I enjoyed this one about as much as the first two.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I actually don't have any of the original issues in single issue format with the exception of the UK comics that I have (and will never get rid of). I do have the entire run in compiled format in the form of the Titan Books compilations. They're worth tracking down if you can, there's some really great stories in there.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Getting the Marvel Transformers series in collected format is on the list, because I would definitely like to read it all one day. I know IDW had collected it, but I think they had to leave out the issues with Marvel-specific characters, didn't they? So I may still need to track down some back issues to read it all.

Transformers 84 - Secrets and Lies #3
Optimus's plan to make things better by getting rid of Megatron backfires, because Straxus, Scorponok and Thunderwing all prove to be just as bad, and Straxus plans to continue Shockwave's plan to build engines for Cybertron, causing Ultra Magnus to put together a "wrecking crew" to destroy them. Meanwhile on Earth it's a charged up, unaware of what he's doing Grimlock versus a damaged "Auntie" (the Marvel equivalent of Teletran 1, I assume). On top of all this, we get Star Saber and Deathsaurus, which I appreciate a lot more having seen the Victory series. And in the end, Auntie activates Megatron to stop Grimlock. This issue is pretty much one long series of fight sequences and well-known characters from the Marvel Transformers continuity being introduced, but all of the scenes are pretty solid.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Issue 3 is the worst offender, in terms of adding more back-written baggage than it solves, particularly relative to the 1985 characters. And, having Star Saber pledge to fight to the end....right before retreating, was bad even for Furman.

I know IDW had collected it, but I think they had to leave out the issues with Marvel-specific characters, didn't they? So I may still need to track down some back issues to read it all.
IDW did two compilation series. The second run (identified by black spines) includes appearances by Marvel characters, and includes the original source books.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:55 amIssue 3 is the worst offender, in terms of adding more back-written baggage than it solves, particularly relative to the 1985 characters.
How exactly does he insert these characters into the narrative in a way that doesn't work? Since I haven't read the stories he's referring to, all I have to go on are his notes in the back of the book, so it works for me based strictly on what I'm reading in the mini-series. What about it is problematic?

IDW did two compilation series. The second run (identified by black spines) includes appearances by Marvel characters, and includes the original source books.
That's helpful. I've seen both versions on store shelves, so I need to go for the black spines as the more complete reprinting then.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Transformers 84 - Secrets and Lies #4
It's Grimlock vs. an Auntie-controlled, anti-matter powered Megatron, with Thrust, Dirge and Ramjet warning Grimlock to get while the getting is good. Meanwhile on Cybertron it's the Wreckers versus the Terrorcons in the form of Abominus (and Furman's explanation about how he can predate Devastator works for me). Grimlock stops Megatron and stops an anti-matter explosion by putting Auntie out of commission, while Topspin and Twin Twist destroy the planetary turbines. That puts an end to those two plotlines and the book sets up the new status quo, with the panel featuring Ultra Magnus, Star Saber and Fortress Maximus paralleling the panel of the three Decepticon leaders from last issue. Looks like the final panels of the story exist just because it had to stop somewhere (something Furman admits), and the characters needed to end up where the Marvel G1 series storylines depict them.

I have to say, I enjoyed revisiting Marvel G1 continuity, even if a lot of the early issues are unfamiliar to me. The art and coloring nicely mimicked the old style comics, and Furman certainly knows the material. I'm not bothered that he went back in and wrote a new story around existing material. It may read like fan-fic to some extent, but that's not always a bad thing. Makes me wish that Regeneration One had been drawn and colored the same way!