Transformers/Terminator crossover

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

Re: Transformers/Terminator crossover

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:32 pm If a moderator could move this thread to the miscellaneous forum, that would probably be for the best.
This forum is for "IDW Comics / Generations | Universe | Classics", so as an IDW comic it seems appropriately placed to me.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I just figured that cross-overs (especially when the Transformers component is so obviously GeeWun) would be in "miscellaneous".
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Issue 3

Post by Dominic »

Found and flipped through issue 3.

The T-800 surreptitiously plants a bomb which blows up the Ark, killing most of the Autobots. At the end of the issue, Starscream tries to make a deal with the T-800.

Prediction for next issue:
My guess is that the T-800 will kill most or call of the Transformers, before offering itself as a technological foundation to create Skynet. (At least there is unlikely to be a sequel.)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I checked out the first two issues...

The premise I kinda like. Skynet being invented as a means to defend humanity from the Cybertronians, only Skynet could still care less about humanity, so the Terminators essentially end up becoming the resistance after the ensuring war that wipes out humanity. Loosing the fight, they send a T-800 back in time to try to prevent the Cybertronians from awaking in 1984.

Unfortunately, that's where the story begins to break down. The Terminator happens to run into Sarah Connor, and needs directions to Mount St. Hilary... For some reason. I mean, how can he know the location of the Ark, but can't figure out how to get there? The Terminators never had a problem locating a target and getting to them in the films. To make it even dumber, he doesn't understand simple directions like 'take the 5 freeway north', so he has to take her with him. Seriously, that's the only reason she's in this story. The Terminator doesn't understand basic directions. Even once they arrive at the Ark, he tells her she's irrelevant to him. In the timeline he came from, she was nobody important.

The characterization of the T-800 also seems off. This is a purely Skynet programmed Terminator, who could care less about humanity. Yet, he smiles and makes wise cracks? Why? He mentions to a fellow T-800 smiling and practicing talking in English for his mission, but that's something the Terminators from Skynet have never shown an interest in emulating. And frankly, even the human reprogrammed Terminators have had a hard time learning.

The art for the most part is beautiful. I think Alex Milne is one of the best Transformers artists, but I think some of his humans could use some work.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Milne has been on a steep learning curve. The art in the third issue is much better than the art in the first issue. (I think he struggled with blending the T-800 in with the aesthetics of a TF comic.)

The writing is the worst sort of cross-over writing. There is a clearly dominant property (Transformers) and the other property is treated as a series of quick refernces and basic cliches.

The Terminators' conversation before the time jump is a good example, with the writing putting forced explication over narrative logic.

Most of the "Terminator" movies show time travellers trying to orient themselves, using phone books, computer records or other means. But, maps (and compass points) would be built in.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:15 amThere is a clearly dominant property (Transformers) and the other property is treated as a series of quick refernces and basic cliches.
I'd have to disagree Transformers is the dominant property here... The focus, at least in the first two issues, has been almost entirely on the Terminator side of the story. While the Transformers may have caused the calamity on Earth in this story rather than Skynet, they've been kept mostly on the periphery.
The Terminators' conversation before the time jump is a good example, with the writing putting forced explication over narrative logic.
I'm not seeing how that goes to show why you think Transformers is the more dominant property of this story.... I think that's simply a case of the writer wanted a T2 acting T-800, but was lazy about how to accomplish that.
Most of the "Terminator" movies show time travellers trying to orient themselves, using phone books, computer records or other means. But, maps (and compass points) would be built in.
Needing some information to orient themselves is understandable, but that's not what I'm talking about. On the whole, they could locate and navigate to a target on their own. They didn't need to rely on anyone to guide them someplace. And those targets in the films were people, with only vague information about where they might be, not something like a stationary volcano. But this Terminator doesn't even understand what Sarah Connor means by the word "freeway". This has to be the most inept Terminator if it can't understand even the most basic directions to get to a mountain.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Transformers definitely seems dominant here. The T-800 is the only part of Terminator currently showing up and it's only been on a few panels. I dunno, I really think they could have done better with this.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:17 pm Transformers definitely seems dominant here. The T-800 is the only part of Terminator currently showing up and it's only been on a few panels.
How is it Transformers dominated? The focus of the first two issues is almost entirely on the Terminator... From the T-800 arriving at a Skynet base to use the time machine to change history, running into Sarah Connor (which, I'd also point out, the Terminator movies generally only focus on a Terminator or two, Sarah and/or John Connor, and maybe another supporting character), forcing her to guide him to the Ark, briefly fighting the Decepticons, Sarah accidentally reactivating Optimus during the ensuing battle (and then purposefully reactivating Bumblebee), the T-800 recounting the events leading to his devastated future, and then Optimus proposing they work together... This has been straight up a Terminator plot thus far. The only difference being the Cybertronians are essentially set up as the equivalent of Judgement Day, causing the devastation of the planet. They're really only just starting to get to the Transformers side of the story with issue 3.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I meant "dominant" in real terms.

Dollar for dollar comparisons are not going to work, as TF has more streams of money.

But, TF is bigger at this point.

Storywise, TF is dominant as more of it is appearing intact, with Terminator taking more changes its lore.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:44 amStorywise, TF is dominant as more of it is appearing intact, with Terminator taking more changes its lore.
I dunno that I'd agree with that either. The lore of Terminator has always been somewhat fluid to begin with, with whatever changes they'd make to the timeline in each movie. I never saw "Dark Fate", but to use it as an example, I know that it changed the long running staple in the franchise of John Connor being the savior of humanity and introduces a new character that takes his place. I really don't see the Transformers role in this story as any different. Essentially they just take the role of Skynet here, being the cause of the devastation to Earth, with Skynet becoming the resistance rather than humanity.