War for Cybertron: Earthrise line

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: War for Cybertron: Earthrise line

Post by JediTricks »

Toy Fair revealed a lot of new product. Unfortunately, almost none of it is in my wheelhouse, I preordered nothing from the brand. My only interests are Slitherfang and Sky Lynx. The latest trends are hollow legs and redesigning figures we got better versions of recently, like Arcee, Smokescreen, and Megatron. I am not feeling that Scorponok, especially with the absent ankles.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

If I were not making a concerted effort to cut back this year, I would be looking for more of this line.

(I might talk myself in to that Starscream, and toss my Japanese Starscream/Thundercracker/Skywarp set.)

The upcoming Quintesson is gorgeous. I am not giving Sky Lynx any serious thought, simply because i am unlikely to find one at retail.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I actually like a lot of what's been announced. It'll mostly be a matter of whether or not I can afford it. I'm out for Starscream. I have already sold off my CHUG seeker set (with the exception of ghost Starscream). I did recently get the tetrajet Starscream again and this time around, I actually have a better appreciation for it. I recently got Apeface and Spinister and on Friday I found Grapple and Thundercracker at Target. They are currently having a buy one, get one 50% sale, but when I checked out it was BOGO. So I basically got Thundercracker for free. And I really like all of them. I had fun swapping Apeface's head with the Titans return one and it looks pretty good either way. Spinister has an interesting transformation and actually does look good in both modes.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

So, my thoughts on the upcoming figures:

Sunstreaker: As much as I like the CHUG Lambo mold, it does have it's problems. The feet and arms on mine are a loose, floppy mess. Plus, I like the look of the Earthrise one.
Wheeljack: Still pretty happy with the CHUG one that I have, but I really like the detailing on the new one.
Scorponok: Finally a full size counterpart to Fort Max. Plus the city head transforms as does the head of the head.
Runabout and Runamuck: We've had confirmation that Runabout is coming. I missed on the club exclusives, so it'll be cool to get these at retail.
Trailbreaker: I still have the Generations figure and it's still pretty good, but it would be nice if he was a bit bigger. And this one looks better. Plus the transformation on the CHUG figure is needlessly complicated.
Arcee: I still have the generations one and I'm kind of on the fence on this one. I might need to see it in person to see if I get it.
Quintesson Judge: Yes please!
Alicon: Will go well with the Sharkticon and the Quintiesson.
Optimus Prime: The trailer is a selling point for me. I know it doesn't have THAT much going on, but this is looking like the best update to G1 Prime. I had permanently given that title to the Classics Prime.
The Generations selects tapes: I love how Hasbro has solved the Rumble/Frenzy debate. They're both Rumble. There. Done. Seriously, the red and blue one that came with Ratbat is called Rumble and the blue on in this set is also called Rumble. :lol: Take that, hardcore G1 cartoon purists!
Astrotrain: Yeah I know, this one takes a lot of flak, but I really like the idea of the back of the train turning into a launch pad for the space shuttle.
Snapdragon: Looks cool, will go well next to Apeface.
Sky Lynx: I missed out on Jetfire. One, too expensive, two, never even seen one. Sky Lynx looks cool, but he's going to be waaaaay down my list of must haves.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Wheeljack is much like Starscream. I might talk myself in to it, if I get rid of the "Generations" figure. (I am trying to cut back both on the number of toys I buy, and the number that I have.)
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:Wheeljack is much like Starscream. I might talk myself in to it, if I get rid of the "Generations" figure. (I am trying to cut back both on the number of toys I buy, and the number that I have.)
I would probably be more interested in Earthrise Starscream if we were sure there were going to be the other two seekers. At least with Siege, I know I can get the trifecta. I might get Starscream if I see him and I have the money. Might be interesting to do a comparison between that, siege and CHUG. I still have the Henkei Ghost Starscream, so I could take pics of all three together.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I suspect that Hasbro is going to keep using the distribution model from "Seige". Collectors will be able to get the main 3, and some of the tertiary characters, by jumping through various hoops. But, casual buyers are unlikely to get a full set.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:I suspect that Hasbro is going to keep using the distribution model from "Seige". Collectors will be able to get the main 3, and some of the tertiary characters, by jumping through various hoops. But, casual buyers are unlikely to get a full set.
Thank God there aren't any combiners in this run.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Starscream

Post by Dominic »

The Combiners from 2 years ago were difficult enough.

I only completed the Dinobots because I was aggressively looking. And, even then, I blinked with the Terrorcons, and ended up not completing Abominus.

And....I picked up "Earthrise" Starscream.

Starscream: robot/F-15
As has been pointed out by myself and others, "Earthrise" Starscream is essentially an upgrade of the Starscream mold from 2006 (which was recolored in just about every possible way through 2011). The current mold addresses some of the problems from the 2006 mold, while accenting the better qualities.

The most obvious difference is the size of the new figure, roughly twice the size of the 2006 release. (If the original is 4~5 inches in height, this is 7~8 inches, the difference between a standard action figure and a Marvel Legends.)

The transformation is essentially the same, but with a few more pegs/tabs to line up. (The robot's chest sticks, particularly when converting from jet to 'bot.) As with the 2006 release, the jet mode is close enough to an F-15 that I am guessing that McDonnell Douglas does not much care about the copyright (if only regarding visual cues).

The robot mode is where the added value of the new figure is most apparent. While the torso still boxier than normal for the character, this is offset by the proportions and increased articulation of the new figure.

While a character like Starscream does not need dynamic action poses, the additional point of articulation to the arms and legs (including ankles) make it easier to pose "Earthrise" Starscream less stiffly than figures cast from the 2006 mold. The arm/wing cannons are also an improvement. The 2006 mold included spring-loaded guns/missiles obligating safety-molded bulbs, at significant aesthetic cost to the figure. In this case, the guns are single-piece accessories, with the aesthetic benefits of not ending in safety-molded bulbs.

And, as a bonus, the package art is also pretty good. (It shows Starscream standing near a window, either on a space station or a large ship. There are bodies floating outside the window, presumably a reference to the 1986 movie.)

Last year's Starscream was one of the worst renditions of the character that I can recall being released. This year's more than makes up for it. Every fan/collector/whatever should get at least one pressing of this mold. (I am *really* hoping for Skywarp and/or Thundercracker,. But, at least one of them is likely to be an exclusive.)
Last edited by Dominic on Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Wheeljack - I got 2 defective ones in ways you can't see from the packaged view, was able to swap parts between them to make 1 good one. Arms are a little long although not as bad as G1, and having just 1 accessory that's really tiny is a bummer, otherwise a really cool figure whose vehicle mode makes up for the shortcomings. Good deco, I like the off-white and all the sponsor paint elements, the painted wheels too. The aforementioned long arms, the stubby wings and hollow lower legs do hold the bot mode back a little. The wings/spoiler halves are just 5mm pegs, so you can attach them to his hands or forearms as simple weapons. Vehicle mode is very sexy, the deco really comes alive, it has great lines contrasting a very wedge-like body with the curved windshield borrowed from its Lancia Stratos HF Turbo group 5 racer. The accessory doesn't really belong anywhere, it can plug into the roof or into the taillights but it doesn't really look appropriate in vehicle mode; the accessory also clearly was designed to attach to another one, as it has a notch in its 5mm hole at the back. At the pricepoint, it's not perfect, but it's neat enough to pick up, giving it a B+.

Cliffjumper - a fun little Legends-scale figure with a more complicated transformation and articulation, but also a little partsforming. Bot mode has a hollow back covered by the removable "shield", the hatchback of the car that's partsformed into place. Articulation is pretty good, although a bit loose in the arms; the transformation allows Cliffjumper to lean back at the waist, great for looking up at taller figures. Because his roof transforms the opposite direction as the G1 figure with the windshield facing up instead of down, they didn't include an Autobot logo here and its absence is felt in considerable ways, that chest is dead empty without it and he has no faction sigils in bot mode. Cliffjumper comes with 5 accessories that combine to form a glass gas bazooka seen in the cartoon, they also form 2 pistols with magazines and a shoulder-mounted gun which somewhat makes up for the lack of size. Vehicle mode is chibi a mix of a Mitsubishi Starion and a Porsche 924, it's alright but the back tail and hatch sit too high for my tastes, revealing the fists. The gimmick with the parted-out gun is it turns into Cliffjumper's waterski mode, which is a fun idea but not that accurate, the front wheels grow skis underneath instead of folding away, the rear wheels don't get skis but thruster engines, and the middle of the car gets another thruster engine - it may not be accurate, but it's still fun and something we don't get enough of lately, vehicle play. At the pricepoint, I'm not sure I can recommend this figure, at best it's a B- with the price.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?