Transformers Galaxies (2019 IDW series)

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Transformers Galaxies (2019 IDW series)

Post by Dominic »

I stumbled across this while searching for information about the compilation of the current Ruckley series.

https://www.idwpublishing.com/the-bold- ... es-series/

It looks like a rebranding of the old "Spotlights".
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers Galaxies (2019 IDW series)

Post by Dominic »

The first issue shipped today.

Local shop got 1 copy of the Roche cover, and several Ramondelli covers. (I am opting for the Ramondelli, and have a copy in my pull-file.)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I was hoping the reboot wouldn't go into the realm of
Spoiler
MacGuffins (at least, not anytime soon), but this (re)introduced the Enigma of Combination. It doesn't play a large role in this issue thankfully, but I really hate the idea it takes a MacGuffin to create combiners
. However, I have to say that I really enjoyed the story of this issue. This is really more of what I'd been hoping for with the Combiner Wars story arc. This actually gives us insight to what it's like for the Constructicons to become Devastator. It's also nice to get some more insights about the post-War of the Threefold Spark Cybertron.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The Enigma of Combination was initially needed to reconcile the scaling issues inherent to most combiners.

Early IDW established that size-changing had an energy cost. This worked better when few characters needed that non-sensical ability. But, when they had to push combiners (which tend to have scale problems), IDW needed a McGuffin to make size-changing workable for combiners, and to make characters that were not previously established as combiner-members work as combiners.

Now, it is just going to be there.

I liked the reasoning that "Combiner Wars" gave for the new members of existing teams (Aerialbots and Stunticons). As long as the current series does not degenerate in to a generic comics, I can live with the occasional use of an old McGuffin.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:The Enigma of Combination was initially needed to reconcile the scaling issues inherent to most combiners.

Early IDW established that size-changing had an energy cost. This worked better when few characters needed that non-sensical ability. But, when they had to push combiners (which tend to have scale problems), IDW needed a McGuffin to make size-changing workable for combiners, and to make characters that were not previously established as combiner-members work as combiners.
While they did use the Enigma to reconcile the scaling issues, I wouldn't say that is initially what it was introduced for. It's purpose in the story was really only ever to be able to make anyone into combiners. Being able to use it to magically explain away any possible inconsistencies was just a bonus (and makes it an extremely broken MacGuffin IMO).
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Issue 1:
Thus far, Bleszinski has managed to avoid the problem common to having fans write a property they have "always loved". And, the first issue manages to work thematically with the main series (by Ruckley). Just as Ruckley's Megatron is not fundamentally evil, Bleszinski's Constructicons are shown to be the result of a well-intentioned but reckless push for improvement.

(Ironically, the line of thinking that turned the Constructicons in to Devastator is not entirely different from the planned economy that Megatron is shown to be pushing against in the main series. Both involved pushing individuals along a path that they would not choose and that may not be in their interests.)

Definitely work picking up.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Has anyone else realized how far behind "Tranformers: Galaxies" is? The most recent issue shipped in October (maybe November). It is now February.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

That and Picard. The third issue of that hasn't hit yet either, which is weird, you'd think they'd want to get that out before the series starts. But yeah, November for Galaxies. I just went on Friday and they didn't have the new one either.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 4

Post by Dominic »

Galaxies issue 4:

Only....3, maybe 4 months (tops), late.

Issue 4 falls in to the standard trap of most origin stories. There is no amount of high-concept, planning, set-up and plotting that can get around the fact that origins for established characters need to reach a pre-set end-point. Execution, especially pacing, matters.

Ultimately, the modern origin of the Constucticons is about alienation and revenge. Bleszinski avoids the pitfalls of letting fans write their favorite characters while using the zeitgeist to explain how those characters ended up the way that most anyone would recognize them. Unfortunately, the pacing between issues 3 and 4 just assumes that the characters go from being disgruntled to becoming mass-killers (whose murderous tendencies are directed at likely allies). Too much of their change of heart rests on a McGuffin that is best explained as "meth-infused ramen". (The fact that it might need to be explained to a non-fan is a problem that is no more excusable for being common in comics.)

Grade: c
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 5

Post by Dominic »

If you think that we need more comics, especially "Transformers" comics, with coprophagy as a plot point, then "Galaxies" might be series for you.

The previous arc featured the Constructicons chowing down on energon that was excreted by the Insecticons. (Yes, it could have been read as a combination of meth and honey. But, reading it as Insecticon dung is funnier.)

The fifth issue of "Galaxies" focuses on Cliffjumper and his unwitting role helping Deathsaurus plunder energon from a species of aliens that worship Bumblebee. (This species cannot see color, meaning that they easily mistake the red Cliffjumper for the more famous yellow Autobot.) While talking with admiring members of this species, Cliffjumper learns that the energon they produce and happily share with the transformers (along with being the basis of their economy and infrastructure) is in fact body waste.

The issue ends with Deathsaurus plotting to steal more of this poop-based power (at terrible cost to the excretorily efficient aliens).

I expect next issue to involve Cliffjumper working things through, and putting this unpleasantness behind him. And, more poop.