Transformers Galaxies (2019 IDW series)

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 11

Post by Dominic »

Transformers Galaxies #11:

Similar to the last issue, the second part if Easton's Magnus arc opens with a flashback/memory of how Alpha Trion influences him.

This is not a standard origin story. But, it has elements of an origin story, and is clearly intended to define Magnus for the current run of comics.

This issue is set roughly concurrent with the titan-fall in the main series. I suspect that the twist is going to be that Magnus will be left without a cause/system to believe in.

Fannish aside: for whatever reason, Soundblaster has been redefined as a different character from Soundwave (rather than an upgrade of the latter). I never understood why that change was necessary. But, if IDW can avoid making Soundblaster a clone or one of "the original 13", that will be good enough.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: issue 11

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:11 amBut, if IDW can avoid making Soundblaster a clone or one of "the original 13", that will be good enough.
Wait, what? I... what?!
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:21 am
Dominic wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:11 amBut, if IDW can avoid making Soundblaster a clone or one of "the original 13", that will be good enough.
Wait, what? I... what?!
Soundblaster was seen in one panel in the Dreamwave continuity with a bunch of diaclone colored bots as clones of main characters. He was also a clone in the Netflix Siege cartoon. I can't recall him ever being one of "the 13", but I could be wrong. I would hope they just completely do away with "the original 13" in this continuity.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:20 pm
Ursus mellifera wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:21 am
Wait, what? I... what?!
Soundblaster was seen in one panel in the Dreamwave continuity with a bunch of diaclone colored bots as clones of main characters. He was also a clone in the Netflix Siege cartoon. I can't recall him ever being one of "the 13", but I could be wrong. I would hope they just completely do away with "the original 13" in this continuity.
Soundblaster (aka Logos Prime) as a member of the original 13 comes from a short comic called "Beast Wars Reborn" which was printed in the Japanese magazine Figure O. The character was based on the Cybertron/Galaxy Force mold of Soundwave.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Shockwave wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:20 pm I would hope they just completely do away with "the original 13" in this continuity.
I support this.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Re: Transformers Galaxies (2019 IDW series)

Post by andersonh1 »

I'm not sure how this series did not catch my eye. I knew you were all reading it, but I wasn't quite aware that it tied into the main series or I might have paid closer attention. So I'm playing catch-up and picking up older issues. It's a 12 issue mini, right?

Transformers Galaxies #1
I'm have not been a big fan of Livio Ramondelli's art in the past, because it's usually so dark and hard to follow, but what he does here is brighter and much improved and really does look good. As an origin story for the Constructicons, this issue works well, and the writer does a decent job trying to give a distinct voice to each of the six Constructicons. We get to see Termagax in person back before the self-imposed exile, and I see that they've reintroduced the Enigma of Combination from the previous IDW continuity, using that and the Constructicons' desire to improve their capabilities to introduce Devastator as the second Combiner of this continuity (is that Abominus shown in silhouette as the original combiner?). Termagax pushes them into it while Wheeljack is hesitant. Obviously something is going to go wrong, given that in the present day segments they've been exiled from Cybertron, but at first the experiment is a success. Good issue, and I like the limited focus on just this team of characters so we get a chance to know all of them.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I thought the Constructicon arc cut a few corners as it were, going a little more quickly from fresh-faced newly forged bots to bitter, angry bots ready to tear down their own creation than was warranted. But all in all, it wasn't bad. Livio Ramondelli's art was easier to read than it usually is. Normally it's very dark and moody, but he did a better job this time around, in my opinion. It was good to see all six Constructicons get some lines with some degree of distinctive character.

The Cliffjumper storyline worked better than the Constructicon story (and I get what you all were referring to with "energon poop"... it's a strange concept, so say the least). The joke about people thinking he was Bumblebee and getting his name wrong was stretched a little thin, but the art was great and I can't say I ever expected to see a story pitting Cliffjumper against Deathsaurus, so points for creativity on the writer's part.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I've long thought that Energon was an overused device for too many things. I mean, we have it firmly established that Energon is: Money, food, poop, and blood. So yeah, it's always kind of been a catch all substance in this franchise.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Picked up the last copy of issue 11 off the shelf today, along with Transformers #25. I like this idealistic, war hero version of Ultra Magnus more than the law enforcement version of the previous continuity. His interaction with Megatron during the war of the threefold spark reminds me a bit of our own civil war, where generals on both sides had been on the same side during the previous war, the war with Mexico. Should be interesting when he returns to Cybertron and appears in the main series, especially if he learns that he was supposed to succeed Sentinel Prime.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Issue 12 (final issue)

Post by Dominic »

Galaxies#12

The final arc of "Galaxies" resolves with Magnus and the others going back to Cybertron, roughly concurrent with Megatron's speech from shortly after the tether fell.

For some reason, Easton used a time-shift in this issue. My best guess is that he wanted a time shift (caused by Magnus et al being near a black hole) to accent how disoriented the changes on Cybertron would be for Magnus. Unfortunately, Easton does not give readers any real reference for how much time has passed.

Over-all, the "Legends of the Dark Knight" style format for this series worked well enough. But, I would be hard pressed to say that even the best of this series (the Cliffjumper arc) was really "must-read".