Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Dominic »

Megatron's initial grievance is valid.

Cybertron is shown to be a hyper-regul s ted civilization with planned economy. (Having a source of food beyond state-issued rations is enough to earn scrutiny from authorities.)

Megatron wants freedom of mobility and exploration.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I like that they've given Megatron a legitimate grievance without making the Autobots fascists, as they did in the prior continuity. I really like the idea that Megatron has simply been unable to keep his followers from engaging in more extreme action and for events to start spiraling out of his control. That strikes me as a pretty realistic way for a war to begin.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 20

Post by Dominic »

Transformers (2019) #20:

This issue is largely a fight scene. But, it preserves the tone of the series. One of the highlights of the issue is that it demonstrates the dangers of insurgency to insurgents.

However noble Megatron's origjnal goals may have been, his army is fundamentally unreliable, with subordinates working on side projects that undermine their faction's over-all goals (as well as the side projects of others).

Prowl having a pet and Hound's scene nicely offset the usual depiction of Cybertron being advanced but impossibly isolated.

Oddity about Prowl: the artist seems to have drawn him with Barricade's guns. (This is a minor detail on its own. But, the art remains a glaring deficit for this series.)
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

andersonh1 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:31 pm I like that they've given Megatron a legitimate grievance without making the Autobots fascists, as they did in the prior continuity. I really like the idea that Megatron has simply been unable to keep his followers from engaging in more extreme action and for events to start spiraling out of his control. That strikes me as a pretty realistic way for a war to begin.
All of this. I love this book.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Agreed. I'm really appreciating the interactions with other species that we see in this book, something we haven't seen much of before. Prowl has a pet. Hound shows his interest in organic life as he investigates the dead animal in the dome and regrets the loss. I enjoy seeing Swindle running an underground gambling ring.... seems like exactly the type of thing he would do. I appreciate that Prowl is no-nonsense, but he's not the despicable manipulator we had in the previous continuity. This book is hitting all the right notes with me.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

My favorite literature professor used to say that a realistic story is realistic not because of what's happening, but because the characters are reacting to it in realistic ways. This comic is about alien robots, but they react to their world, and what's happening to them, in realistic ways.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

She was a damned good Professor.

Hound shows his interest in organic life as he investigates the dead animal in the dome and regrets the loss.
Am I the only one who noticed that it looked like a thylacine?

On another note, "Transformers" is not listed in the current Diamond catalogue (September release). Hopefully, that is either an error ora planned skip.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Dominic wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:17 pmAm I the only one who noticed that it looked like a thylacine?
Wow, it sure does. I wonder if that was intentional?

I will be very sad if this book is cancelled.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Rumor is that the current run of comics is ending with issue 25. (Mind you, the rumor is from CBR. Take from this what you will.)

Anyone have anything more solid?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I haven't read anything about that. Do you have a link to the story? I hope it's not true, I'm really enjoying the current series.