Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:01 am The thing to keep in mind is that IDW is paying for the TF license. Every month that they do not publish is effectively money lost.,

I really hope that IDW is healthy enough to maintain the license in the long-term.
I know that if this series gets cancelled (before it's over), then I'm done with TF comics for a few years. I like this one too much to be burned like that.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Same here, this is my favorite Transformers fiction in some time, and I don't want to have to start over. I hope we're not going to get another Dreamwave situation here, where the series ends mid-storyline. I agree with Dom, the constant lateness of the issues concerns me. I hope sales are healthy.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

If IDW does wind up going under, I think it would be more of a G1/G2 situation where they would find a way to wrap things up before they ended. I seriously doubt that anyone at IDW is embezzling from the company and lying about it to all of there creators.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Shockwave wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:28 am If IDW does wind up going under, I think it would be more of a G1/G2 situation where they would find a way to wrap things up before they ended. I seriously doubt that anyone at IDW is embezzling from the company and lying about it to all of there creators.
True enough.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I checked the new releases page for my local comic book shop, and they have Transformers 29 and 30, Escape 3 and Beast Wars 4 all listed for Wednesday. Looks like they're playing catch-up.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

andersonh1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:44 am I checked the new releases page for my local comic book shop, and they have Transformers 29 and 30, Escape 3 and Beast Wars 4 all listed for Wednesday. Looks like they're playing catch-up.
WOOOOO!!!!
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

All four issues were in my pull list today. Took me less than five minutes to read Beast Wars, which was disappointing given just how much is packed into Transformers 29 and 30 and Escape #3. Once I've had time to re-read and digest things a bit, I'll post some comments.

I've got one for now: Obsidian makes an appearance and is pretty awesome. I hope Brawn lived through the encounter.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Transformers 29 and 30 - A lot of questions are answered, some secrets are revealed and the Autobots take some major losses.
Spoiler
- Since they did too much damage and can't control the Titans, the Decepticons accelerate their fall, attempting to destroy them rather than see them used against the Decepticons.
- In a related note, it turns out that the reason their have been no Titans for a long time is not because the sparks did not appear. They did, but were contained and put into storage, a secret that Perceptor tells Optimus Prime
- Sentinel Prime wanted Starscream killed because he knew about the Titan sparks and knew he would tell Megatron, who launches an attack to take the Forge Pyramid. The Autobots are forced to evacuate and destroy it, after which they've lost Iacon entirely and have to leave the city.
- On a personal note, I'm glad to see Obsidian make an appearance, and I enjoy his portrayal here. Obsidian vs Brawn (briefly) is not a combo I ever thought I'd see. At least Brawn lives through it.
- Ruckley does a nice job in a series of panels describing several of the Titans and who they are, enough to create a sense of loss at their destruction.
- Optimus Prime makes the choice to warn Nova Storm that the Forge is about to be destroyed and that all the Decepticons should evacuate, something they work out for themselves. I appreciate how in both issues his impulse is to attempt to stop the violence, and not to take lives, something he's ultimately not going to be able to prevent. His holographic discussion with Megatron is another futile attempt to get Megatron to see reason and stop the violence, to no avail.
- Cyclonus's friend Provoke is found buried beneath the ruins of the Memorial Crater, apparently still alive.
- Speaking of Cyclonus, Pyra Magna makes no attempt to fight him when he attacks, meaning he can't do it. I guess he's willing to kill in a fair fight, but not just execute someone. Pyra Magna and Optimus Prime's conversation is interesting, and I just have to appreciate Ruckley's dialogue all through this series. It's colorful and thoughtful, and not flat or perfunctory.
- In the end the Autobots evacuate Iacon, and we're apparently getting a time skip before the next issue.
I continue to love this series. It's the best Transformers has been in a long time with so much attention to details and ideas and dialogue, which always seems well suited for whichever character is delivering it. I hope the next issue is out in a timely manner. I'm always ready to read more.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Issue 29:

While the series is setting up for a traditional Autobots/Decepticons conflict, Ruckley maintains the idea of both factions being guilty of moral, if not legal, crimes.
Spoiler
Megatron's plan led to the deaths of several Titans, along with countless regular Cybertronians. But, the Autobots (including Perceptor) were incarcerating Titans for the sake of maintaining an ideology and planned economy.

Optimus' decision to spare Nova Storm was irksome, but consistent with the character.

Over all, this issue is what I have come to expect from the series, and justifies me keeping it despite IDW's bungling of basics like....distribution.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:57 pm
Spoiler
But, the Autobots (including Perceptor) were incarcerating Titans for the sake of maintaining an ideology and planned economy.
Spoiler
"Incarcerating"? They're not holding these Titans prisoner, they technically haven't even been born yet. Their sparks had only just arisen from the Well of Allsparks when they were put into storage rather than being forged into a body. I'd liken this to something like embryo cryopreservation. They could continue to be developed to be fully 'born', but instead they've been put on ice (so to speak) because of the amount of resources required to make and maintain a Titan's body.