Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:42 pm I despise that story (and most bot-shipping).
Same here.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

andersonh1 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:25 am
Dominic wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:42 pm I despise that story (and most bot-shipping).
Same here.
I don't understand the shipping at all. Cybertronians are social people, so having friendships, even very close friendships, makes sense, but physical romance implies that Cybertronians reproduce sexually, which we know isn't true in this continuity; they just build an empty body and Cybertron imbues it with a spark.

Why do they have these desires? IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE TO ME.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

So it's been, what, almost two months since the last issue? What's the deal?

Transformers #28 - Not so much a single plot as a series of plot threads picked up and advanced, some of which have been out there for a while now. The centerpiece sequence of the issue is probably Cyclonus trying to kill Sixshot, something it seems like he's got a decent shot at pulling off, but we find out that Cyclonus hates Pyra Magna more than Sixshot, so we may be seeing if/how he will side with the Decepticons in this continuity. We finally get back to Bumblebee and to Swindle, and Deathsaurus of all people, who has been spending his time in Swindle's VR facility killing a virtual Cliffjumper over and over again. Starscream is still trying to make himself Megatron's indispensible man.

As is typical for this series, there are a lot of good character moments, some good dialogue, and a lot of ongoing plotlines are touched on. Another solid issue, and I wish they'd appear on a more timely basis. I'm always left wanting to know where the story will go next. I had hoped they would alternate every few weeks with the Escape mini-series, giving us in essence a biweekly book, but no such luck.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I guess I don't mind shipping so much, but it does feel... weird. Mostly because, like Honey Bear said, they don't reproduce sexually. And while that's not the only component in a romantic relationship, it's a pretty big one and if you take that out... I dunno. I mean, I guess I can understand them having romantic feelings, and while I think it's possible to have those feelings and that kind of relationship without a physical component, it's hard to imagine it since our species ties one so closely to the other.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Shockwave wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 am I guess I don't mind shipping so much, but it does feel... weird. Mostly because, like Honey Bear said, they don't reproduce sexually. And while that's not the only component in a romantic relationship, it's a pretty big one and if you take that out... I dunno. I mean, I guess I can understand them having romantic feelings, and while I think it's possible to have those feelings and that kind of relationship without a physical component, it's hard to imagine it since our species ties one so closely to the other.
Yeah. I mean, I'd expect something like brotherly love, especially with bots who fought together, but the romance I just don't get. Cybertronian love should be devoid of physical romance (unless there's something about their physiology that we don't know about). I heard one theory about this, but it really only works if Primus is involved (which he might be in this case):

Since Primus is a creator deity, and Unicron is a destruction deity, it stands to reason that there is a good chance that they are part of a pantheon which used to include other deities, of which they are the final two. When Primus creates the Cybertronians, he bases them on those he knew and loved, ie: his fellow deities. This not only explains them having different sexes, but also why they would have things like romantic urges that they could only act upon to a certain extent (ie: kissing, but not sex).

It's a stretch, and I like to pretend it's true, because it makes the shipping less out of place. Especially since it's clearly here to stay for awhile.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 28

Post by Dominic »

Bumblebee has multiple spoken lines in this issue. (After he killed Quake, it looked like Ruckley was going to write Bumblebee as a mute,)

Not sure why Ruckley chose Reflec*, Refraktor as the point of view character. The breakdowns are not clear. Is Refraktor's conversation with Starscream a flashback, or happening simultaneously across multiple bodies?

Ruckley handling of the Decepticons as revolutionaries, and showing the instability that would build in to the team, is excellent.

So it's been, what, almost two months since the last issue? What's the deal?
I was thinking the same thing. And, "Escape" is more or less the same.

Honey Bear and I were talking about this the other day. IDW seems almost reluctant to sell compilations (in print). I am genuinely wondering if all is well at IDW's licensing division.
andersonh1

Re: issue 28

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:33 pmNot sure why Ruckley chose Reflec*, Refraktor as the point of view character. The breakdowns are not clear. Is Refraktor's conversation with Starscream a flashback, or happening simultaneously across multiple bodies?
Apart from the scenes where events are current, the issue is mainly Reflector/Refraktor filling Starscream in on what's been going on. You can tell which of them is speaking by the color of the text boxes. Reflector has the gray boxes with the blue outline, while Starscream is the white boxes with the red outline. Almost the entire narrated portions of the issue are Reflector and Starscream, with Swindle getting a comment right at the end. So the issue is essentially Refraktor's report to Starscream, mixed with a few other scenes.
IDW seems almost reluctant to sell compilations (in print). I am genuinely wondering if all is well at IDW's licensing division.
They're not putting this series out in paperback, I've noticed, just the 12 issue hardcovers. I don't know how they're approaching their other licensed properties though.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

andersonh1 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:07 pm
Dominic wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:33 pmIDW seems almost reluctant to sell compilations (in print). I am genuinely wondering if all is well at IDW's licensing division.
They're not putting this series out in paperback, I've noticed, just the 12 issue hardcovers. I don't know how they're approaching their other licensed properties though.
Hey, that's true! We're on the third HC with no paperbacks in sight. I mean, I love the hardcovers, with the sewn in bookmark and finery, but there are usually paperbacks following them a few months later, right?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:07 am
andersonh1 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:07 pm
Dominic wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:33 pmIDW seems almost reluctant to sell compilations (in print). I am genuinely wondering if all is well at IDW's licensing division.
Hey, that's true! We're on the third HC with no paperbacks in sight. I mean, I love the hardcovers, with the sewn in bookmark and finery, but there are usually paperbacks following them a few months later, right?
It's times like this that I really miss the old IDW boards where we could go ask the guys making the books about their decisions. Maybe tpbs just don't sell enough to make it worth putting these out in multiple formats? I don't mind, I prefer the hardcovers, but it does seem odd that they aren't producing trades as well.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I normally prefer compilations.

But, the confusion (since late 2019) has been enough to deter me. (I have little inclination to spend $50 per volume when I am not sure that IDW is going to release or distribute them consistently.) The pandemic has not helped. But, the problem existed before Covid.

Similarly, it has been pointed out that issue 27 of the current series was the first issue to ship on time in over a year, meaning that the delays from last year (or for issue 28) were not wholly related to the pandemic. 2 months is enough time for readers to start flaking off, particularly if they are not reading any other comics.

The thing to keep in mind is that IDW is paying for the TF license. Every month that they do not publish is effectively money lost.,

I really hope that IDW is healthy enough to maintain the license in the long-term.