Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Ursus mellifera »

andersonh1 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:56 am There are lots of plot threads in this issue, which is a change after the very focused, all out action of the previous issue. It's almost a pause to catch up with where everyone is now, but significant things still happen. I wish this book was still bi-weekly, but at least Escape will offer a second dose of story as long as it's running alongside the main series.
This might actually be my favorite comic series of all time. I'd have to reread my favorites to be completely sure, but damn are these books good.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:13 am
andersonh1 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:56 am There are lots of plot threads in this issue, which is a change after the very focused, all out action of the previous issue. It's almost a pause to catch up with where everyone is now, but significant things still happen. I wish this book was still bi-weekly, but at least Escape will offer a second dose of story as long as it's running alongside the main series.
This might actually be my favorite comic series of all time. I'd have to reread my favorites to be completely sure, but damn are these books good.
I haven't enjoyed a series this much in a LONG time, Transformers or otherwise. These books are very good.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Issue 26

Post by Dominic »

Transformers #26:

After the magical mcguffin focus of last issue, this issue marksca return to what makes this series worth reading.

For the most part, the focus is on the rapidly hardening lines between the factions. It worth noting that even more cynical Autobots are squeamish about killing Starscream.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Issue 27

Post by Dominic »

Issue 27:

This issue is not the first to ficus primarily on a fight. But, it nicely shows Ruckley's ability to handle multiple plot threads and characters.

Despite the amount of fighting, Ruckley still manages to use dialogue without falling too much in to the chatty-fight problem that still infests comics. He also managed to sneak in some lore, with Skylynx noting that he can only intelligently occupy one of his bodies at a time. (This issue is a good use of Sky Lynx, particularly given how little he actually appears.)

Visually, Sky Lynx and AstroTrain are problematic, looking too much like earth shuttles. (Most other characters look like "space-cars" or some such. Sky Lynx and AstroTrain look too much like shuttles.)
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: Issue 27

Dominic wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:31 am Visually, Sky Lynx and AstroTrain are problematic, looking too much like earth shuttles. (Most other characters look like "space-cars" or some such. Sky Lynx and AstroTrain look too much like shuttles.)
They do. It's slightly jarring. Sky Lynx looks like an Earth shuttle picked up some alien cargo, and Astrotrain looks like someone took a modern Earth shuttle and encased it in chunky armor; as if they started making a Warhammer 40k mod and quit before they finished.

I get that they obviously look that way because the toys look that way, but I agree that they look slightly out of place because of it. I would have preferred more "extra-terrestrial" alt modes for them.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

And, both shuttles are large/expensive enough that they need to look like thevtoys.

Forgot to mention this above, but I am a little annoyed that Ruckley referenced the Cosmos/Blastoff story from the Valentine's Day special. It was fanfic-grade shipping, and likely held-over filler from before the reset. Now, it cannot be ignored.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Transformers 27

A team heads to the Winged Moon to take it back. I had expected the Decepticons to be in control, but no, they're still trying to gain entry with the small team of engineers having held them off for some time now. This issue is one long battle sequence, and while I don't usually have any problems with the art on this series, this issue's art is definitely on the lower end of the quality scale.
Spoiler
- Sky Lynx is great here. He's classic Sky Lynx, very proud of himself and his abilities and happy to tell you all about them. I love that he describes Astrotrain as "that lump of inertia".
- Ruckley seems to enjoy references to the G1 tv show. A few issues ago we had a mention of the Hate Plague, and here we get Flamewar saying "powderulverize" the Autobots.
- Sunstorm makes an appearance here. I wonder if he'll end up being the insanely powerful version of the character that we got with Dreamwave's ongoing? Given what happens to him this issue, it's possible. Interesting that the Risers don't leave him behind, they're not so callous about life yet that they'll just abandon one of their own.
- I really appreciate that Windblade is just one of the cast in this series, not the "extra special new Transformer that deserves her own series". I like Windblade fine, but she got elevated over so many other long-time characters that could have used some page time in the previous continuity, and that was annoying to me.
- Smokescreen paraphrases Gandalf. "We don't get to choose our times, do we? We just get to live in them." So true.
- I agree with Dom, the Cosmos/Blast Off shipping is annoying. I'm not a fan of shipping and Transformers anyway. It's never made any sense to me.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Dominic wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:22 pm And, both shuttles are large/expensive enough that they need to look like thevtoys.

Forgot to mention this above, but I am a little annoyed that Ruckley referenced the Cosmos/Blastoff story from the Valentine's Day special. It was fanfic-grade shipping, and likely held-over filler from before the reset. Now, it cannot be ignored.
I didn't even realize there was a Valentine's Day special. Why does Cybertron have Valentine's Day? Did Cosmo and Blast-off used to date? Is he going to be jealous when Blast-off chooses to combine with the Combaticons instead of him? Do I want to read it because it's canon? Will I regret this choice? Do I find it funny that there's shipping between two characters who turn into actual space ships?! STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

That... honestly wasn't as bad as I was imagining. To be fair, though, I was imagining a LOT worse.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I despise that story (and most bot-shipping).