Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by andersonh1 »

Issue 36 - I hate that these issues aren't still biweekly, because I forget where the plot was and have to get my mind back in the right frame of reference. Lots of finality or resolution in this one, some that I did not expect at all. I can't discuss it without spoilers....
Spoiler
- Skywarp suffers death by Sky Lynx, who crushes him in his jaws so that Skywarp explodes, but not until Jumpstream and Skywarp have a good teleportation fight. We so rarely see Skywarp's teleportation put to good use, but as usual Ruckley has thought these things through and carries them to their logical applications.

- Skytread gets eaten by the rust worms, and the Enigma is lost in the Sea of Rust. I'm sure that's going to come back to bite everyone very soon.

- Cybertron's geologic problems continue to get worse. Some of these plotlines have been going on since very early in the series, which seems like a long time ago now, and still aren't resolved. I tend to forget about them until they reappear for a scene or two.
I continue to enjoy the dialogue and the colorful way that it's written, and all the various character interactions. I did not expect the deaths we got this issue, or the ending. I had assumed that Skywarp was Exarchon or possessed by him, but apparently not....
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Spoiler

I tend to think that the loss of the Enigma is going to be status quo. Ruckley is taking a McGuffin off the table to allow for a more conventional setting.

Similarly, killing Flatline removes a Decepticon who is not simply evil, leaving the faction more uniformly

The basic plotting and dialogue were good. But, the lettering managed to rival the art for being offensively bad. (There is no reason for the bronze age sound-effect lettering. IDW needs to abandon their hipster instincts.)

This issue is the first example (that I can recall) of an artist trying to draw a Seeker body from the back in robot mode. The inkers made the save, obscuring the incriminating facade-detailing.

And, has "present"-day Skywarp been accounted for?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

This is "present day" Skywarp as far as the story is concerned. He was involved in the war of the threefold spark, he teleported and ended up lost outside of normal space and time, and then followed Jumpstream back to Cybertron when she made her experimental trip into what turned out to be the future.

I read issues 31-36 again last night, back to back. I can't quite figure out what the purpose is for introducing Skywarp to the story, only to remove him a few issues later. It seems like the only role of substance that he plays in "Lord of Misrule" is to take the enigma of combination out of Termagax's house so that it ends up out in the Sea of Rust where it is seemingly lost to both sides. All Skywarp does is teleport around, demonstrate that he's lost his sanity, fight Jumpstream for the Enigma, then get chomped to death by Sky Lynx. Given the buildup he's given, I had expected more. And to be fair, there may be more revealed down the line.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Volume 4 of the hardcover collection has been pushed off until January.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/book ... ire-smith/
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

andersonh1 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:53 am Volume 4 of the hardcover collection has been pushed off until January.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/book ... ire-smith/
I've been wondering about this one. It seems to keep getting pushed back.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Volume 4 getting pushed back is likely a result of the supply line issues that are dragging on every industry.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Dominic wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:55 pm Volume 4 getting pushed back is likely a result of the supply line issues that are dragging on every industry.
I'm assuming.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 37

Post by Dominic »

Issue 37:

IDW is committing to sensitive-Cyclonus. While not as Tumblr-centric as the way Cyclonus was written in "More Than Meets the Eye", it is safe to assume that Cyclonus is going to be defined by relationships, at least for as long as IDW has the license. (I never thought that I would be nostalgic for the clown Furman wrote Cyclonus as in the old UK run, but IDW has managed to do that.)

Plot-wise, the series is moving towards the moment when the factions need to unite against a common threat.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Issue 37: It's good to finally know exactly what Exarchon is, and who those "ghosts" with Cyclonus are. And Optimus is still going to Codexa for answers, though it seems to have cost him greatly this time with Ultra Magnus being captured, though Magnus put up a good fight. Lots of interesting tidbits here, such as Optimus slowly being remade by the matrix, and a Magnus/Soundblaster rematch. I always get to the end of an issue and want more, which is a good sign.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: issue 37

Dominic wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:12 pm Issue 37:

IDW is committing to sensitive-Cyclonus. While not as Tumblr-centric as the way Cyclonus was written in "More Than Meets the Eye", it is safe to assume that Cyclonus is going to be defined by relationships, at least for as long as IDW has the license.
I must be missing some context from the previous continuity in this case. I don't see anything more sensitive about Cyclonus than anyone else involved. I mean, he appears to be nuts, but not particularly sensitive. Where are you getting that?