Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Dominic »

Only a handful of characters seem to know about Brainstorm thus far. And, the assumption (shown in the conversation with Chromia et al) seems to be that Brainstorm was killed by an interloping alien, not a Cybertronian. It is still bad. But, it is not as bad as the fratricidal violence that we (as omniscient readers) know is coming.

If they assume that "an alien did it", Brainstorm's death would be seen as something between "murder" and "natural disaster".

I wonder if Megatron staged an assassination attempt, or if it was genuine?
It is a testament to how much IDW has redefined Megatron that we are even asking this question.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:I'm not sure everyone is as concerned as they probably should be if Brainstorm's murder really is the first in many, many years.
Yeah I found their reactions all a bit... underwhelmed for the weight of the situation.
Dominic wrote:And, the assumption (shown in the conversation with Chromia et al) seems to be that Brainstorm was killed by an interloping alien, not a Cybertronian. It is still bad. But, it is not as bad as the fratricidal violence that we (as omniscient readers) know is coming.
To be fair, Chromia also implies that possibly Rubble could have done it, since he found the body alone. Seemed to me that hadn't ruled out any possibilities.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

True. And, accusing the new guy (who is basically a kid) of murder is an awfully cynical jump for somebody to make after generations of peace. (Maybe the landscape built out of corpses is getting to Chromia?)

Regardless, we need to wait yet another damned week for issue 3, as it has been delayed yet again. (It was originally meant to ship last week.)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:And, accusing the new guy (who is basically a kid) of murder is an awfully cynical jump for somebody to make after generations of peace.
I wouldn't call it a "cynical jump". I mean, Chromia is just doing her job by looking at any and all logical possibilities. She obviously didn't consider it that strong of a possibility, seeing as they didn't really pursue it.
(Maybe the landscape built out of corpses is getting to Chromia?)
Considering Rubble explains Bumblebee told him when Cybertronians die they usually choose to "sleep" or merge into Cybertron itself, that'd be normal to Cybertronians.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 3

Post by Dominic »

Issue 3:

More world building. And, this issue is clearly written for the trade. That is well and good. But, I expect that there will be fantrums from some quarters of the fandum.

There are no answers about Megatron this issue. One of his new troops is an old character (using a recent toy as the model), and is described as being dangerous, which might indicate that the new Megatron is more of a traditional bad guy than the previous Roberts-penned iteration of the character. (A few of Megatron's followers from this issue are known characters, if not main characters.)

There are more signs that the peace Cybertron has enjoyed is more fragile than some on page generally recognize, if not a facade.

There is one scene that sort of addresses why Cybertronians have cockpits. But, the real logic of them having cockpits is difficult to ignore in light of the stylistic discrepancies in this series. While this is not entirely the fault of the artist, it would have been better if IDW had pushed for a style that would have allowed for more consistency between characters based on current figures and non-toy characters.

I am not willing to speculate about what Rubble's eventually fate will be. But,
Spoiler
he is either going to die, join Megatron, end up with severe emotional scarring, or some combination of those things.
Those theories are not new. But, this issue makes them seem more likely.

And, random thought.... Much has been made of Brainstorm's death being the first murder on Cybertron, or at least the first in many years. And, we can assume there would have been a certain number of natural or accidental deaths in that time. (Such events, while unfortunate, would not merit great concern beyond those who knew the deceased.) But, what if Brainstorm's death was a suicide? Just an odd thought. But, one that I cannot quite shake.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I agree, written for the trade. There was a lot of treading water in this issue, and not much plot momentum. More characters are introduced, and that last page reveal of Prime talking to someone is obviously meant to be significant, though the character's name means nothing to me. Art is good, but the story needs to keep moving right along.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Yeah, mostly a world building issue. But I have to say, I'm glad that they're covering it. It's nice to be getting so much of this early on, when so many Transformers comics don't do this type of world building, or do it much later into the series.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: issue 3

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote: ...might indicate that the new Megatron is more of a traditional bad guy than the previous Roberts-penned iteration of the character.
Hi Everyone,

I'm of genuinely mixed opinions on this, as going more traditional and/or simplistic with the storyline could stave off the pre-Crisis snarl that I saw in the previous series, but on the other hand, and it may just be the current political climate, but I'm pretty done with what could easily turn out to be just one more WWII analog starring Megatron as young Hitler. I'm truly enjoying the Brainstorm death investigation, and I'm impressed that Rubble has so far remained the wide-eyed reader POV character without degenerating into a saccharin kid character. It gives me hope that my concern is unwarranted.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Re: issue 3

Post by andersonh1 »

Ursus mellifera wrote:
Dominic wrote: ...might indicate that the new Megatron is more of a traditional bad guy than the previous Roberts-penned iteration of the character.
Hi Everyone,

I'm of genuinely mixed opinions on this, as going more traditional and/or simplistic with the storyline could stave off the pre-Crisis snarl that I saw in the previous series, but on the other hand, and it may just be the current political climate, but I'm pretty done with what could easily turn out to be just one more WWII analog starring Megatron as young Hitler. I'm truly enjoying the Brainstorm death investigation, and I'm impressed that Rubble has so far remained the wide-eyed reader POV character without degenerating into a saccharin kid character. It gives me hope that my concern is unwarranted.
Good to see you again! I hope you'll stick around and keep on giving your opinion on the series.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Hi Everyone,
There is so much that I want to say to you...here, on this forum. But, the moderators, and likely the FCC would take offense, so let's just talk about the comics.

(Joking aside, good to see you back.)

I'm of genuinely mixed opinions on this, as going more traditional and/or simplistic with the storyline could stave off the pre-Crisis snarl

""Pre-Crisis" is not the best word to describe early IDW. (At its worst, IDW never indulged in the Silver Age idiocy that defined Pre-Crisis DC.)

However, it is fair to say that early IDW picked up baggage. The baggage was more the result of IDW having 10+ years of comics.

Even counting the fallow years between the original G1 and later G2 runs, IDW still held the license longer than Marvel before "Unicron" closed out the first IDW run with "Transformers". While this is not an unprecedented run for a comic, it is unprecedented for "Transformers". And, IDW is a young enough company that it is probably unprecedented for their organizational memory.

A reset every decade or so is probably healthy for any property.

Marvel's "Ultimate" imprint was launched as a modernized, streamlined and (most importantly) baggage free line of comics for incoming readers. Marvel dropped the ball by going for crass shock-value with some of the early offerings (particularly Millar's stuff). But, they generally stayed baggage free for ~5 years.

After 5 years or so (2005 or 6), "Ultimate" started to pick up baggage, even discounting the dumb stunts that Marvel started to allow for that line (around '07 or so). That was a natural effect of publishing an ongoing series. The only way to avoid it would be to adhere to "stasis quo", which would undermine the modern quality that was a hook for the "Ultimate" line.
, and it may just be the current political climate, but I'm pretty done with what could easily turn out to be just one more WWII analog starring Megatron as young Hitler.
I do not think that they are going for a WWII analogue. (Please, oh please no.)

If nothing else, (as discussed above), we cannot rule out that current Ruckley Megatron is heavily influence by how Roberts handled Megatron in the previous run.
I'm impressed that Rubble has so far remained the wide-eyed reader POV character without degenerating into a saccharin kid character.
Agreed their.

Right now, the smart money is split between Rubble dying and Rubble joining the Decepticons.