Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 23

Post by Dominic »

I managed to get the LaFuente Megatron cover. (Actually, that might have been the only cover that the comic store got.)

This issue is what the series has been building to for 2 years.
Spoiler
Any question about Megatron's motivation can be put to bed. Any benign intention that he may have had is completely over-shadowed by his methods.
Interestingly, Megatron's rhetoric has changed a bit.
Spoiler
In this issue, Megatron's dialogue has leftward shading, particularly his push for immediate radical change.
On a wholly fannish note, it was nice to see Howlback on-page.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 issue 24

Post by Dominic »

Issue 24 focuses on Wheeljack's team and their attempts to save the damaged moon (which holds a significant amount of fuel, making it a valuable McGuffin).

Ruckley does a good job of applying materialism to a soft sci-fi comic. (The trick is to have characters refer to limitations and necessity without too much detailed techno-gibber.)

As part of the larger series, this issue shows the change/decline of the Ascenticons from their founding to the events of the current series.

As ever, the art proves to be sonething of a millstone.

This issue's ending leads into the "Escape" series.
andersonh1

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by andersonh1 »

Issue 24 was another winner. After a few half-hearted "it's okay" reviews on other sites I went into the issue with lowered expectations, but I ended up really enjoying it. The plot gives us an extreme situation as Wheeljack and some others try to stop Cybertron's moon, with it's massive energon stores, from plunging into the sun. It's all presented as Wheeljack trying to solve an engineering problem with massive obstacles to overcome and limited options. The look into the history of the Ascenticons is appreciated as well. The art is not my preferred style (I like the Guido Guidi or Don Figeroa school of Transformers art the best), but it get the job done and I don't mind it.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I'm contemplating buying this series in hardcover, even though I have the individual issues. It's the type of storytelling that reads better over multiple issues in a shorter time, and I see that volume 1 collects the first twelve issues, so that's a pretty substantial book. I wonder if future volumes will follow the route of the collected editions from the previous IDW continuity and put multiple series in the same volume, so perhaps relevant Transformers Galaxies or any other supplemental series would be in reading order in the same volume as the main series?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I wouldn't count on it. IDW has been pretty consistent with keeping their collected editions contained by title, not story. Spotlight is the perfect example of this, but also, Maximum Dynobots, Last Stand of the Wreckers, etc...
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:08 am I wouldn't count on it. IDW has been pretty consistent with keeping their collected editions contained by title, not story. Spotlight is the perfect example of this, but also, Maximum Dynobots, Last Stand of the Wreckers, etc...
I have some of those volumes, but I was thinking of the IDW collections like the examples I linked to below, which has Death of Optimus Prime, More Than Meets The Eye issues #1–5, and Robots in Disguise issues #1–6. I've seen the single series collections, but they also have these hardback, "reading order" volumes. I don't know that they're going to take the same approach with the new continuity series, but it's a possibility I'd be interested in if they do.

https://www.amazon.com/Transformers-IDW ... 1631400401
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Now that you mention it, I think they did something similar with All Hail Megatron. I think some of the relevant Spotlight issue were included with that as well. I hope they do release the story in collections like that since, as you said, it would make for smoother reading.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Looking at IDW's website, that type of collection is exactly what they've done.

Transformers, Volume 1: The World in Your Eyes collects issues 1-12
Transformers, Volume 2: The Change in Your Nature collects issues 13-18 and Galaxies 1-6
Transformers, Volume 3: All Fall Down, due out in mid December, will collect 19-24 and Galaxies 7-12
Transformers Volume 4 is listed for August of next year, and is supposed to collect issues 25-30, Escape 1-5, and the Valentine's Day special?!?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I would have bought the compilations, but I never found the first volume. And, volume two dropped as the lockdowns hit MA.

As much as I prefer hardcovers, I would settle for soft-cover volumes now.

The Valentine's specifical reads like it was held over from the pre-reset series, complete with fanfic grade shipping.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

For me, "shipping" and "Transformers" are two concepts that just never go together. The occasional random example (Silverbolt/Blackarachnia, Obsidian and Strika being "consorts" or the hints at romance in G1) are tolerable, but the later IDW writers went way over the top with shipping characters.