Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Ursus mellifera »

I want to know where Reflector is during this whole "one spark; multiple bodies" thing. That dude had it nailed down.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 33

Post by Dominic »

Transformers #33:

This issue reads more like the series we have been discussing for the (nearly) 3 years, (Aside, the series of toys that launched concurrently with this series is drawing to an end, and the comic has only done aggressive pushes for the first year's worth of product. Not sure if this is a credit to Hasbro giving IDW creative freedom, or a sign of lax brand-management.)

The issue focuses on Bumblebee working with Swindle's group, and Swindle's attempts at manipulating Bumblebee in to further debt. Bumblebee's squeamishness at the end of the issue is disappointing.
Spoiler
At the very least, it is the sort of cliche' that I was hoping this series could avoid. And, it makes Bumblebee appear less heroic. There is no virtue in mercy for monsters.
Not sure where Ruckley is going with Exarchon. But, a few scenes make a point of showing that Exarchon does not recognize factions until being exposed to the idea more than once.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Transformers 33 - It feels like a long time since anyone has mentioned Rubble's death, though there have been so many deaths since then that it's easy to forget about him with everything that's happened since. He was just the second of many, if we remember Brainstorm as well. Nice to see that it still eats at Bumblebee though and that Ruckley has not forgotten. We get a limited picture of life under the Decepticons as Swindle tries to keep his operation going, and Elita-1 finally reappears and gets rescued. Plus Exarchon/Skywarp is still wandering around Cybertron, clearly up to no good.

Good issue, one that addresses or cleans up some long-dangling plot threads. All that and a conversation between Trickdiamond and Bumblebee about being mentors.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

And, Trickdiamond continues the trend of not all of the bad guys being all bad.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 34

Post by Dominic »

Issue 34

This issue focuses mostly on moving pieces around. Nothing terrible. But, compared to earlier issues of the series, it is lacking. (If this were representative of the series, I might not stick around, particularly with the lackluster art.)

Grade: C
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: issue 34

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:13 pm Issue 34

This issue focuses mostly on moving pieces around. Nothing terrible. But, compared to earlier issues of the series, it is lacking. (If this were representative of the series, I might not stick around, particularly with the lackluster art.)

Grade: C
Even though Termagax is the Baba Yaga? That's not enough to make you stick around? That means the Decepticons are the Russians! The Russians are the bad guys!!
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I love this series more and more and more than meets the eye every day.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Transformers 34 - We get more new ideas in the form of the worms out in the Sea of Rust, and I have to say, it's pretty cold the way that one Decepticon just abandoned the other to his fate, to be eaten by the things. It's good to catch up with Termagax. So much is going on that the issue can't even touch on all the ongoing plotlines. I'm still really enjoying this series, which continues to be high quality Transformers storytelling, some of the best in a long time as far as I'm concerned.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Transformers 35 - Here we go with a full scale battle and someone finally puts the Rainmakers in their place. Windcharger gets a particularly good role and line here, and Sixshot is also very good. I don't quite know how the Skywarp plotline will ultimately tie in with the larger plotline concerning Termagax, who is everyone's #1 target at this point, but both storylines remain interesting. Optimus Prime is getting less reactive and more assertive, demanding that Termagax make a choice, because neutrality is not an option here. I love this book, and the fact that it's held the level of quality that it has for 35 issues now is fairly impressive.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 35

Post by Dominic »

Transformers #35

The faction lines continue to harden in this issue, as Termagax moves steadily towards the Autobot side. She is unlikely to survive the next few issues. But, having her lean towards (if not pick) a side is decisive. The scene where she admits to being wrong about Megatron shows a more reflective character than how Tyler Bleszinski wrote Termagax in "Galaxies". But, this kind of variation in character is allowable over the course of nearly 3 years and multiple creative teams working on 2-3 concurrent series.

Ruckley's handling of the Decepticons nicely splits the differences between how different writers have handled them over the years. (There are enough Decepticons for numbers to give them some advantage and longevity as a team. But, they are incapable of organizing enough to ever win decisively.)

Not sure what the point of Exarchon is. But, Ruckley has earned enough credibility over the last 2.5 years that I am willing to wait.

Aside: Shockwave finally uses the recent figure's armor.....2+ years after the toy was released.