Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Dominic »

Just the fact that Cyclonus is being shipped in official content.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:40 pm Just the fact that Cyclonus is being shipped in official content.
Who is he being shipped with? One of the dead guys?
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Yup. (It has actually been referenced in older issues of the comic.

My complaint is less about the recent issue than IDW's general handling of Cyclonus. (I really should not be nostalgic for the clown as Furman wrote him in the old UK comics. But, that was better than IDW's Tumblr-friendly Cyclonus.)
Last edited by Dominic on Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Transformers #38 - So Megatron
Spoiler
salvaged one Titan spark... will we be seeing Trypticon in the near future? Or some other Titan?
Megatron is also, while still rational on some level, drifting more towards megalomania with his "I am willing the future into being" comments and his utter unwillingness to listen to anything Ultra Magnus has to say, no matter how reasonable. Strika's respect for Magnus is a nice character beat for her, similar to her reaction to Pyra Magna a few issues back.

Cyclonus clearly knows something is wrong with his friend, and I guess Flatline is dead via spark-displacement. Smokescreen gets some time in the spotlight this issue, proving to be quite good at what he does. The slow execution by starvation of the Senate is another demonstration of Megatron's brutality, and this is the first time we've seen the results of the coup 14 issues ago, though they've been referred to. Ruckley continues to write strong dialogue, though one or two "poetic flourishes" seemed a bit forced this time around, something that's not usually the case.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 38

Post by Dominic »

Transformers #38:

This issue evokes the tone from the beginning of this (soon to be ending) run. Megatron's skepticism is not completely unreasonable. (Magnus' talk of raised dead and ghosts is not the sort of thing that any reasonable person would buy in for.) But, his reasoning is based more on paranoia than on any rational calculus. Being surrounded with monsters and lunatics is going to have that sort of effect.

The sub-plot with Cyclonus (and his suspicions) is well-done. I just wish that Ruckley did not use Cyclonus for this. (Unfortunately, Roberts set a precedent of writing Cyclons for the girls on Tumblr. This is a downgrade for a character that I liked.)

though one or two "poetic flourishes" seemed a bit forced this time around,
Which lines? (Nothing struck me as particularly offensive.)

I guess Flatline is dead via spark-displacement.
I assumed that he was going to die when he first showed up. (Having the nice Decepticon survive an origin story would not make sense.) But, I was hoping he would get a better death than "killed by a magical ghost from the future".

spoiler
Spoiler
I am thinking Scorponok is more likely, maybe the Ark.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: issue 38

Dominic wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:46 pm
Spoiler
salvaged one Titan spark... will we be seeing Trypticon in the near future? Or some other Titan?
Spoiler
I am thinking Scorponok is more likely, maybe the Ark.
Spoiler
The Ark is the big new Titan-class figure. I'm assuming that.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Possibly.
Spoiler

I was thinking in terms of factions. But, there is no reason that the Titan could not turn on Megatron.
andersonh1

Re: issue 38

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:46 pmWhich lines? (Nothing struck me as particularly offensive.)
Nothing offensive. The one that seemed a bit forced to me was the senator's admonition "don't promise a dawn to those in darkness, unless you're the sun." He's dying, I can't see him waxing all poetic like that under the circumstances. Unless maybe it's a line from one of his campaigns that's just stuck in his head.

On the other hand, some of the other dialogue is just a pleasure to read, as usual.

"That's where we all live now, hoping to survive the consequences."

"Smokescreen, how many of you are there?"
"Worryingly few, to be honest."

"Primus, this place is..."
"The void Megatron has sculpted for his enemies, and a wound we cannot heal right now."

"Remaining useless is by far your best survival strategy at this point."
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

He's dying, I can't see him waxing all poetic like that under the circumstances. Unless maybe it's a line from one of his campaigns that's just stuck in his head.
That is what I assumed, particularly from a "senator" in a soft sci-fi setting. But, I am not sure how it is worse than some of the other lines. (I liked the line about "remaining useless".)
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Hey Anderson, would you tell me the places you get the hardcovers from again? I'd like to get the 4th compilation for less than $50 if I can help it, but I can't find the links that you posted before.

Thanks!