IDW or Dreamwave?

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: IDW or Dreamwave?

Post by Dominic »

Yup.

Lee drew the first new pictures of G1 (outside of fan-art and convention prints) in years. The timing matched up to a nostalgia push just after the millenium. It was the first non-convention G1 media since ~1992 (the G2 comic).

And, then Lee screwed it up with criminal malfeasance.

I recall IDW saying they couldn't finish the DW stories because of legal issues with DW's bankruptcy. Although, that was around the time IDW first got the TF license. I have to wonder if that's still an issue for them.
It has also been over a decade since Dreamwave collapsed. Does that scab need to be picked?

Not to mention, the 2000's saw a lot of 80's revival series. It was a point in time where the franchise really needed to revisit G1.
The other thing to keep in mind is that Dreamwave was also running comics based on the "Unicron Trilogy", which was new (at the time....a long time ago....so long ago).

Dreamwave's G1 drew on the generally agreed premise of G1, while not requiring any OCD-level knowledge of the franchise. It was a clean relaunch that did not spend too much time looking back after it started.

And, there was a plan to start a beast-era comic when the company collapsed...(damn you Pat Lee....)

If nothing else, Dreamwave may have offered more variety than the functionally bi-polar product IDW published for the last ~5 years (generic comics:tumblr fodder, with some Scioli).

McDonough and Patyk were Hasbro guys....and they could write. That was a rare, and promising, combination of traits.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Maybe pandering was the wrong word, but a lot of DW's G1 comics seemed to heavily reference or be influenced by the original cartoon rather than the Marvel/UK comic. Some comic references made it in, but it felt mostly like I was reading a fan's continuation of the cartoon. As for whether or not the "scab needs to be picked"... I think this would be more like putting some Neosporin and a band aid on it so that it could finally heal since fans would finally get resolutions stories that were just left hanging.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:Didn't the whole Dreamwave Transformers books get a boost due to enthusiasm over a Pat Lee drawing in Wizard Magazine? It was an article, if I recall, about 80s properties that needed to come back, and the response was very good, even within Hasbro.
That Wizard article actually came out in October 2000. Dreamwave wouldn't get the Transformers license until the end of 2001, with their first issue of G1 not being released until 2002. But that Wizard article did generate a lot of buzz for Transformers to get a new comic book series, and I think played a big role in Dreamwave ultimately getting the license. Getting Transformers also led to Dreamwave cutting ties with Image to become their own independent publisher.
Dominic wrote:It has also been over a decade since Dreamwave collapsed. Does that scab need to be picked?
Like Shockwave pointed out earlier, IDW did that for the Marvel run with Regeneration 1. Which was nearly two decades after the end of the Marvel run. Why not do it for the Dreamwave story lines that never got finished too? And I wouldn't really call it a scab. Like you say, it has been a decade since DW collapsed, I think that's healed by now. I just think it'd be a nice nod to the fans of those stories to give them a proper ending.
Shockwave wrote:Maybe pandering was the wrong word, but a lot of DW's G1 comics seemed to heavily reference or be influenced by the original cartoon rather than the Marvel/UK comic. Some comic references made it in, but it felt mostly like I was reading a fan's continuation of the cartoon.
I always saw it as its own thing personally. Sure it was heavily influenced by the cartoon, but there were plenty of differences where they did their own thing as well.