War for Cybertron: Siege toyline

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: War for Cybertron: Siege toyline

Post by Dominic »

Newbury sold Apeface before I got back there. But, I did find codes for Crosshairs (pinpoint) and Spinister (rspiniste). And, Seibertron had the code for Apeface (turboworm).

I picked up Impactor at the local hobby shop.

Impactor: robot/tank

This is not the first Impactor figure that Hasbro has released. But, it is the first purpose-moulded Impactor (rather than a slight retool or recolor or an existing figure).

Like most of "War for Cybertron" figures, Impactor's "pre-Earth" alternate mode looks like an Earth vehicle, in this case a WWI era tank.

Despite the profile and size, this figure is light/hollow feeling (which is normal when a figure looks big for its price-point). Unlike most current figures, Impactor's ankles functionally do not exist. (This is a result of how the legs are engineered to allow for a vehicle mode.)

While not the best figure in the line, Impactor is at worst a passable representation of an obscure character. Worth picking up if you find one, worth hunting for if you like the character.

Dom
-needs to customize an Earthquake figure to go with this.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Like Ectotron last year, Hasbro is doing another movie crossover Transformer this year... Gigawatt, using the Siege Sideswipe mold as a basis to make the Back to the Future DeLorean.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

And apparently the initial release of it was limited to 1985 pieces, was a Walmart exclusive, and sold out in less than a minute thanks to scalper bots. Which said scalpers are now selling on ebay for over or around $800.00. Habro will apparently be selling another more general release of it on Pulse in October.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Also, managed to get Earthrise Optimus Prime. I like it when Optimus comes with a trailer and this one is pretty good. I do wish it had a roller with it, but that's not a deal breaker for me. I like the transformation of the cab, it's very similar to the original G1 Prime while being a lot more complex and interesting at the same time. And he comes with a Matrix which is removable. The only complaint I have is the gas tanks on the side of the legs, they don't really lock into place in either mode. A small complaint and a minor annoyance at best. Other than that, great paint, articulation, etc and an all around great figure in my opinion. If you need a G1-ish Prime in your collection, this is the best one to go with. Yes, even better than Classics with the G3 Trailer, which was my go to Prime before this one.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Another movie crossover figure was revealed today... Maverick based on a Grumman F-14 Tomcat fighter jet and Tom Cruise's character from the film Top Gun. The figure comes with a volleyball, extra set of hands posed to play volleyball, and a tiny motorcycle.

Looks kinda like a gigantic Cyberjet figure.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Maybe a separate thread for the crossover figures?

The Top Gun jet looks okay. But, even in better times, I would have trouble coughing up the money (especially given how bad the comic is likely to be).
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:46 pmMaybe a separate thread for the crossover figures?
I dunno... I mean, Ectotron shared a lot of the same parts as the Combiner Wars Hot Spot/Onslaught mold, and Gigawatt is just a retool of Siege Sideswipe. Maverick is the first to actually have an original mold (for now). Personally, I don't feel these occasional crossover figures that, for the most part, have reused parts from the mainline figures really needs its own thread.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Yeah I don't feel the need for a separate thread either. The Top Gun TF looks fine, but I'm not that huge a fan of Top Gun that I feel like I need it in my collection. Ectotron was cost prohibitive when it came out and probably even more so now and the BTTF one is probably going to be problematic to acquire as well.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The line a figure is part of is determined by packaging, not molding. (Think of the original "Universe" line. It was not an extension of the beast era or G2, it was its own line.)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I'd have to argue Universe was an extension of the beast era actually.... The comic books for it continued the storyline from where Beast Machines left off. I'd also have to say packaging does not necessarily determine a line. There are occasionally figures thrown in that don't really go with the given line. The first Transformers movie line for example having some repaints in it from Armada, Energon and Cybertron, simply to pad out the movie line a bit. And even with these movie crossovers, Maverick has his own unique packaging, Top Gun inspired, unlike Ectotron and Gigawatt which have the same G1 inspired packaging. Does that mean Maverick should be considered something separate from Ectotron and Gigawatt?