War for Cybertron: Siege toyline

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
JediTricks
Site Admin

War for Cybertron: Siege toyline

Post by JediTricks »

The unboxing event from last month apparently had an embargo and it lifted, revealing... a big pile of crap:

http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/11/11/tran ... 018-376270

Hound looks nice and everything else looks wildly flawed and overpriced. Aside from him, I think this is my big "stay away" line, hot on the heels of "Bumblebee" movie product.

Thoughts?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: War for Cybertron: Siege toyline

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:revealing... a big pile of crap:
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about the WFC: Siege toyline. They're just too Earth looking for a line that's supposed to be Cybertronian forms. And even those that do have alien looking forms... they don't look all that great to me. Makes it an easy skip for me.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

So far I have Sideswipe, Hound, Flywheels and Cog. The weakest of them is Cog, which is obviously designed as an after the fact accessory to Titans Return Fort Max. The others I actually enjoy, they're fun to fiddle with and I think they good representations of Cybertronian versions of their G1 alt modes. I could very easily see Sideswipe's alt mode being the cybertronian equivalent of a Lamborghini. Same for Hound. So yeah, so far I'm liking it and will probably get the rest of them. Megatron and Optimus are on their way but haven't arrived yet. The only complaint I have so far is the targetmasters having weird "effects" included with them, but that's a minor detail that if you don't like them, you can just leave them off.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

The pictures look pretty good to me. I don't have any of the figures yet, but Megatron is very tempting.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

None of this changes my over-all impression of the line. (Not a flaw with the article or the pictures. But, nothing "revealed" here is really new.

I would like the Micromasters better if Hasbro made complete teams.

Hound is not bad. But, it does not really out-shine the Hound from ~10 years ago. I might buy the Red Alert cast from the Sideswipe mold, purely out of fondness for the character. (If I did not have good figures of either, I would probably be in for them.

Shockwave looks good. But, if I can scrape $50 disposable dollar together, I am not sure that I want to spend it on a TF
at this point.

The line is not overwhelmingly bad. But, I am not seeing anything to really maintain the burst of interest that "Power of the Primes" got from me. (What really sold me on that line was the chance to get a good set of modern retro-Dinobots, rather than 1 or 2.)
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:None of this changes my over-all impression of the line. (Not a flaw with the article or the pictures. But, nothing "revealed" here is really new.

I would like the Micromasters better if Hasbro made complete teams.

Hound is not bad. But, it does not really out-shine the Hound from ~10 years ago. I might buy the Red Alert cast from the Sideswipe mold, purely out of fondness for the character. (If I did not have good figures of either, I would probably be in for them.

Shockwave looks good. But, if I can scrape $50 disposable dollar together, I am not sure that I want to spend it on a TF
at this point.

The line is not overwhelmingly bad. But, I am not seeing anything to really maintain the burst of interest that "Power of the Primes" got from me. (What really sold me on that line was the chance to get a good set of modern retro-Dinobots, rather than 1 or 2.)
You mention Hound and as someone who has recently got both figures I think I can provide a decent comparison. I recently bought Henkei Hound and got Siege last week. Siege is the superior version. Henkei/Classics is not bad, and if you already have one, it's fine, but Siege is the better figure. The proportions are better, the transformation is more intuitive and he doesn't inexplicably come with Ravage.

And my break is over, so I'll elaborate more on this later.

EDIT: And I'm back. Overall, I do like the Siege version better as the robot mode looks more... well like I said earlier, proportionate. The legs on classics are kinda small and the transformation getting there is weird. This one is more like what you would see on any other Autobot with solid upper legs and good stability. I could say the same for Sideswipe. Not to knock the classics Lambo mold, but it does have it's problems, most notably that the feet no longer support the figure. The arms tend to get loose as well. With as tight as things are on the Siege version, I don't foresee having those same problems ten years from now. Of course, that's hard to predict. I loved the classics Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen mold but that has aged terribly over the years leaving us without decent updates of those characters.

I dunno, after saying all of this, I stand by liking the figures. I liked what I saw in the pics already, but they're even better in hand and I'm glad to have them in my collection. So yeah, I would highly recommend them, even if you already have the others.

Also, is this line the continuation from CHUG/ Prime Wars Trilogy? Like, is Siege Hound meant to be a replacement for classics or is it it's own thing like RID 2K or the figures from the video games?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

If this were a comic, "Seige" would be a reset of some kind or another (change of creative or editorial teams). ("Prime Wars" would be the Bendis era Avengers series. This would be Hickman era.)

CHUG blended with "Prime Wars" in 2014 (or thereabouts), with the pre-combination comic packed figures.

The proportions are better, the transformation is more intuitive and he doesn't inexplicably come with Ravage.
Hound and Ravage fought in both an early episode of the cartoon, and an early issue of the comics. The toy was packaged to reference that.
Not to knock the classics Lambo mold, but it does have it's problems, most notably that the feet no longer support the figure. The arms tend to get loose as well.
I have not had this problem. (I tend to display figures more than fiddle with them. And, I would assume that newer figures would age similarly, with less fiddling leading to less wear and damage.)

I dunno, after saying all of this, I stand by liking the figures. I liked what I saw in the pics already, but they're even better in hand and I'm glad to have them in my collection. So yeah, I would highly recommend them, even if you already have the others.
If I see them, I will give them a look. My favorite Sideswipe appearances use the 2008 mold, so I am unlikely to trade that in. But, I might be open to swapping out Hound. Red Alert is a sentimental favorite, so I would be open to having multiple figures. (Much of this comes down to how much time and money I am willing to spend looking for and buying these.)
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Hound also fought Rumble so they could have just as easily referenced that. Anyway, on to Ultra magnus: It's awesome. I'm swapping out CW Magnus for him. It's amazing how they managed to get G1 Magnus look like RID Magnus and have the "White Optimus" cab mode all in one figure and it works. like really well. And the cab is it's own mold, not just a repaint of Prime. In fact, no part of the armor is compatible with Prime so that keeps you from feeling like you bought the same toy twice. Magnus is his own thing on every level.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I have heard good things about Magnus.

And, I have seen good things with Shockwave. Oh...muh....gawd.

Shockwave is impressive.

Hound also fought Rumble so they could have just as easily referenced that.
I tend to think that Ravage is a more popular character, and more distinctive design. (Ravage also fought Hound in the comics, not just the cartoon.)
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:I have heard good things about Magnus.

And, I have seen good things with Shockwave. Oh...muh....gawd.

Shockwave is impressive.

Hound also fought Rumble so they could have just as easily referenced that.
I tend to think that Ravage is a more popular character, and more distinctive design. (Ravage also fought Hound in the comics, not just the cartoon.)
Yeah, and I was actually "meh" for Magnus until after I got him. I mean, I already had CW Magnus and was pretty happy with that, but this one just blew it away so much that I actually sold CW Magnus. I have yet to get Shockwave, but it's definitely on my list.