War for Cybertron: Siege toyline

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: War for Cybertron: Siege toyline

Post by Shockwave »

Sparky Prime wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:57 am I'd have to argue Universe was an extension of the beast era actually.... The comic books for it continued the storyline from where Beast Machines left off. I'd also have to say packaging does not necessarily determine a line. There are occasionally figures thrown in that don't really go with the given line. The first Transformers movie line for example having some repaints in it from Armada, Energon and Cybertron, simply to pad out the movie line a bit. And even with these movie crossovers, Maverick has his own unique packaging, Top Gun inspired, unlike Ectotron and Gigawatt which have the same G1 inspired packaging. Does that mean Maverick should be considered something separate from Ectotron and Gigawatt?
And to further that, does that mean that Ectotron and Gigawatt should be considered part of original G1? But, on the reverse side of that, should Botcon releases be grouped in with whatever line the toy is molded from or in with Botcon releases? With toy models getting used across so many different lines, it does make it difficult to classify what group everything should fall into. For now, I'm fine talking about movie crossovers in this current thread. If more than, say 5, get released then maybe they should have their own thread.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

What a nightmare yesterday morning was. Hasbro doing a live update at 7:30am PDT and Walmart putting a massive amount of product up, I had so little sleep I ended up getting pressure on my optic nerve which caused random dimming on my left eye throughout the day, hopefully it's temporary. Walmart exclusives once again ruined everything, their system isn't designed for this so they put up product live well before the deadline, they had no names on anything so you were buying blind, and it took them hours to update (almost certainly manually update them based on what I was seeing) each entry in their "collector con" with brand details, item details, title details, and finally image details, with many items getting those updates after they sold through. That's not how you run this, it's just not good sales or good database work, and Hasbro really needs to rethink their relationship with Walmart exclusives if this is the treatment they're going to give customers.

An all-new Bumblebee and Soundwave with Ravage and Laserbeak were some of the notable items of the day, exclusive to goddamned walmart. Bumblebee was a retool of Cliffjumper which means he too is a partsformer. Soundwave is a retool of... Soundwave, from Siege, but now without wear damage paint because yeesh, and he transforms into a tape deck finally. Ravage is a retool of the Siege one but with a new head and deco, same with Laserbeak.

Meanwhile, Amazon got new 2-packs of Earthrise Prowl and Ironhide, Ironhide being a retool of the Siege version with a big honkin' shield made from the roof which is less-than-ideal partsforming but not surprising given Ironhide's G1 self. Amazon also got ER Ramjet and Dirge, with Thrust I guess coming later. Amazon also cocked up their release window of both two-packs, but where Walmart set limits of 5 per item guaranteeing buyers had to lose out to hoarding bots, you can still get the Amazon preorders easily. I would have preferred Thrust to Dirge but what can ya do.

And Pulse got Generations Selects Exhaust (Marlboor), Greasepit, and Hubcap, from ER wave 1's Wheeljack (obviously), Ironworks, and Cliffjumper. I preodered Exhaust because he has a new head, a new faction logo, and I like his racing livery.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The Pulse Exhaust figure is tempting. But, withmy situation right now, I need to think extra carefully before buying any action figures.

Surprising that Hasbro made an new mold Soundwave a Wal-Mart exclusive.
I'd have to argue Universe was an extension of the beast era actually....
There were also G1/G2 toys in "Universe".

More importantly, the toyline had its own packaging and branding.

I would argue that Maverick and the other movie figures should be in the miscellaneous forum, with the other crossover toys.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:30 pmThere were also G1/G2 toys in "Universe".

More importantly, the toyline had its own packaging and branding.
I'm not seeing what difference that makes... Universe was a mishmash of everything up to that point, from G1 all the way through the Unicron Trilogy. It only came about originally as a cheap and easy way to meet retail demand for more product, with Hasbro finding they needed to supplement the mainline (Armada) at the time. That doesn't change the fact the story behind Universe still set it firmly as a part of the Beast Era, directly following the events of Beast Machines, with characters pulled from all over the Transformers multiverse.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Since I won't buy from Amazon, it looks like I'll be saving some money! Thanks, Hasbro!! :D

I do want that Bumblebee, though.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

That doesn't change the fact the story behind Universe still set it firmly as a part of the Beast Era, directly following the events of Beast Machines, with characters pulled from all over the Transformers multiverse.
I am not talking about the shitty comics from 3H/BotCon. (By that logic, "Universe" was also part of the Unicron Trilogy.) I am talking about a specific line with specific branding.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:56 amI am not talking about the shitty comics from 3H/BotCon. (By that logic, "Universe" was also part of the Unicron Trilogy.) I am talking about a specific line with specific branding.
Those comics are a part of that specific line and branding, whether you like it or not. Some of the Universe toys even came with a CD-Rom which included a simplified version of the first Universe comic on it. And the Universe comics were re-branded when the storyline was moved to the Unicron Trilogy universe, in part because of legalities with the collapse of 3H.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The "universe" that the series is set.in does not matter when sorting toys by line.

The "Beast Machines" cartoon was a direct continuation of "Beast Wars" cartoon. But, any buy/sell/trade or review post is going to list the toys by line/branding.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:11 pm The "universe" that the series is set.in does not matter when sorting toys by line.

The "Beast Machines" cartoon was a direct continuation of "Beast Wars" cartoon. But, any buy/sell/trade or review post is going to list the toys by line/branding.
Certainly it's not really something you're going to look at for a buy/sell/trade type thing, but I wouldn't say it doesn't matter. Again, the fiction is a part of the branding. It is certainly something that could factor into a review. There's a reason why the toys of characters featured in the fiction tend to sell better than toy only characters. But the point of contention was that you'd said:
Think of the original "Universe" line. It was not an extension of the beast era or G2, it was its own line.
That bolded part was what I'm disagreeing with here.... Universe was an extension of the Beast Era, just as Beast Machines was before it. Separate toylines (despite Universe consisting of nothing but repaints from previous toylines), but Universe, Beast Machines, Beast Wars... All three were a part of the Beast Era.

Anyway, going back to the Collaborative figures... You never answered the question, if we go by your definition of the toy packaging determining a toyline, then should we include Ectotron and Gigawatt as part of G1 since their boxes are in essence G1 packaging? Should Maverick be a toyline unto itself for having a unique Top Gun box?

Personally, I don't really think just 3 figures released within 2 years really qualifies as a toyline in and of itself. As it is, I feel they belong as a subline under the Generations line, at best. Like the Dinobot subline was in Beast Machines, or the Mutants in Beast Wars.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:30 pm Surprising that Hasbro made an new mold Soundwave a Wal-Mart exclusive.
It's a remold of Siege Soundwave and the minions, perhaps that's why it's an exclusive, but between that and Bumblebee, it seems like bullshit to me that 2 major remolds are exclusive to a retailer who is godawful at both online and in-store distribution.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?