Transformers: Unicron (discussion and speculation)

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers: Unicron (discussion and speculation)

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:Speculation: The series will end with Unicron successfully killing all (or most) of the transformers, then shutting down. That will leave Earth damaged, but largely intact. The end.
I think it would be cool if, Unicron gets near to being destroyed by the Transformers and in a Predator-esque moment activates a device which causes the whole universe to collapse into him.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Yeah, I'd like to see the Cybertronians get the upper-hand against Unicron. At least seemingly, before he destroys Cybertron. I'd also like to see Unicron and the Cybertronians take each other out, with the Cybertronians essentially sacrificing themselves to save the rest of the universe. I think that'd be a nice twist on the story given how much of the most recent issue in-particular has focused on how terrible Cybertronians have been to the universe.

Meanwhile, over in Lost Light, the Functionalist universe has brought their Cybertron into the IDW universe (so that they can "purify" this universe), where the Functionist Council have converted the planet into "Primus", giving it a robot mode and are piloting it from Vector Sigma. The Guiding Hand have also been revealed, with its members having taken on new identities with most of them having forgotten who they were. Pharma was originally Adaptus (having taken over Pharma's body), Chief Justice Tyrest was originally Solomus, the Magnificence was originally Epistemus, Censere/Necrobot was originally Mortilus and Primus.... became Rung.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Finally got caught up. I really hope to see the Functionist Primus try to deal with Unicron. Either way, this story so far is keeping my attention and it's going to be interesting to see how this ends.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:I really hope to see the Functionist Primus try to deal with Unicron.
I would love to see this version of Primus drawn by Alex Milne, and it would be interesting to see him used as a weapon against Unicron. It makes me wonder at least how exactly they will tie Lost Light in with the Unicron storyline, since they've really been off on their own.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Unicron #4

Plans are set into motion as Prowl makes his way to Earth to help stand against Unicron, while Windblade talks to Leoric, leader of the Visionaries. She explains to him why they can't just let Unicron eat the talisman, given Shockwave's plans to conquer the universe. Meanwhile, Unicron continues to rip Cybertron apart with his hands when Blurr notices a ribbon of Visonaries magic making people disappear. Figuring where ever it's sending them is safer than Cybertron, he pushes as many people into the ribbon as possible with his super speed, before he is killed. In Metroplex, Optimus faces the fact this is the end for Cybertron while Shockwave is teleported out of his cell. Realizing something is saving Cybertron's population, Optimus gives the order for Metroplex to spacebridge to Earth. And so Cybertron is destroyed.

Shockwave arrives on Earth where he is greeted by Rhinox, Optimus Primal and Beast Megatron. They begin to destroy Toronto to make room for the rise of the new Cybertronian Empire. Elsewhere, The Decepticon fleet under Bludgeon's command arrives at Jupiter where they destroy the Decepticon refuge space station and those that live there. Before the fleet makes their way to Earth however, Prowl arrives where Stardrive and her Dire Wraith abilities allows her to easily deal with the Maximals. Unicron teleports himself to Earth's solar system. Sensing his approach, Shockwave is confused as to why Unicron was not destroyed, but realizes someone must have moved the talisman.

Ironhide and Windblade find themselves alone on Earth with the talisman. For a moment they think they're the last Cybertronians, but then Metroplex arrives along with the population of Cybertron the Visionaries were able to save. Starscream complains and Arcee ends up punching him in the jaw. Prowl contacts Optimus asking for the plan with Unicron on his way, to which Optimus replies, they will find a way...

--
Since they decided to hold off on evacuating Cybertron at the end of the previous issue, I thought Windblade had come up with something to attack Unicron with, but instead... it's just a plan to evacuate more off of Cybertron. So why hold off on the evacuation? And they're still in the exact same situation, just on another planet, putting yet another population in danger. Seems odd when the last issue focused so much on how terrible Cybertronians have been to other races. Strangely, the Maximals shown with Shockwave on Earth are wearing the 'skins' that they'd shed in the previous issue to reveal their true 'evolved' forms. Unless these are different Maximals that don't have the 'evolved' bodies... Also, two of the Maximals with Shockwave are actually identified as Optimus Primal and Beast Megatron. I kinda wish that's something the comic addressed since, why would they share those names? Unless maybe Shockwave named them after Optimus and Megatron? Bludgeon explains that when the Maximals ship merged with Unicron, it not only became one of his eyes, but also gave him a transformation cog... Even though that version of the Nemesis cannot transform, so why did it have a transformation cog? Overall, I'd have to say this was the weakest issue of the series thus far, but I was surprised to see Unicron actually did destroy Cybertron.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I have yet to read, or even buy, this issue. (Time and money have been against me over the last month or so. I will probably buy and read it sometime next week.)

I think the idea with Windblade's plan was supposed to be that there was no time either way. She planned to evacuate more of the planet, but there was simply no time.

Shockwave arrives on Earth where he is greeted by Rhinox, Optimus Primal and Beast Megatron. They begin to destroy Toronto to make room for the rise of the new Cybertronian Empire.
This sounds like it ties in with either the Joe or the MASK back-up stories.

Strangely, the Maximals shown with Shockwave on Earth are wearing the 'skins' that they'd shed in the previous issue to reveal their true 'evolved' forms. Unless these are different Maximals that don't have the 'evolved' bodies... Also, two of the Maximals with Shockwave are actually identified as Optimus Primal and Beast Megatron. I kinda wish that's something the comic addressed since, why would they share those names?
There is probably no more to it than "recycling old names/characters". Barber is using some old BW stuff as army-filler. That is not the old Rhinox or Optimus or Megatron or whatever.

Even though that version of the Nemesis cannot transform, so why did it have a transformation cog?
Obviously, this Nemesis can transform. (It does not need to tie back to a 20 year old cartoon.)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:I think the idea with Windblade's plan was supposed to be that there was no time either way. She planned to evacuate more of the planet, but there was simply no time.
It's not that there was no time, they'd explained in the previous issue that only so many could fit on Metroplex for him to spacebridge them out, and they didn't have enough ships for the rest. If they were going to evacuate the planet, they'd have to leave some of the population behind. Using the Visionaries magic to teleport more off the planet just feels like a bit of a cheat to me, hyping up the drama, and then having it kind fall flat when they have a way to evacuate pretty easily. And I kinda feel that was something they would have considered in the previous issue when they were talking about the problems of evacuation, if they knew the Visionaries could do that.
There is probably no more to it than "recycling old names/characters". Barber is using some old BW stuff as army-filler. That is not the old Rhinox or Optimus or Megatron or whatever.
I'm fully aware that Barber is just using BW characters as army-filler and that these aren't the same old characters. That's actually why I find it so odd to specifically identify them as Optimus Primal and Beast Megatron. Rhinox actually has had somewhat of a more significant role over in Optimus Prime (at least, he has some dialog) so I can understand why he's named here. But Primal and B.Megatron could literally be anyone, so why bother actually naming them?
Obviously, this Nemesis can transform. (It does not need to tie back to a 20 year old cartoon.)
I'd have to argue the inclusion of this particular design of Nemesis inherently ties it back to the BWII cartoon. Why else use that particular design if not to call back to that version? Besides, there is no indication the ship could transform in the IDW comics either. The comment that the ship had a transformation cog allowing Unicron to transform comes out of no where.

Surprised you didn't point out Blurr's death as the obvious homage to Flash's death in a "crisis".
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

And I kinda feel that was something they would have considered in the previous issue when they were talking about the problems of evacuation, if they knew the Visionaries could do that.
On page, the best answer is "Windblade had a plan that did not play out."

In real terms, I suspect that "Unicron" and the reboot were relatively last minute decisions from editorial/corporate. It is likely that some plot points are being compressed or partly dropped.

But Primal and B.Megatron could literally be anyone, so why bother actually naming them?
Maybe Barber is trying to account for everything? In this case, he is accounting for the Furman/Yee BW series? (I like to think of those characters being subverted by Unicron, and then dying well-earned deaths.)

Or, they are minor characters and their names really do not matter.

I'd have to argue the inclusion of this particular design of Nemesis inherently ties it back to the BWII cartoon. Why else use that particular design if not to call back to that version? Besides, there is no indication the ship could transform in the IDW comics either.
Clearly, the Nemesis can transform in IDW's comics.

Surprised you didn't point out Blurr's death as the obvious homage to Flash's death in a "crisis".
I only flipped through the issue. It is sitting in my pull-file until sometime next week. (I am not exactly hurting for reading material. So, I am not in a hurry to clear out my file. May as well wait for pay-day.)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:On page, the best answer is "Windblade had a plan that did not play out."
It did play out though... She went and asked the Visionaries to help evacuate the planet.
Maybe Barber is trying to account for everything? In this case, he is accounting for the Furman/Yee BW series? (I like to think of those characters being subverted by Unicron, and then dying well-earned deaths.)
I don't think so. IDW has been pretty open about using characters from beyond just G1 ever since Barber took over. Especially with the introduction of the colony worlds. And The Gathering/Ascending was a different continuity.
Or, they are minor characters and their names really do not matter.
That'd be my guess... Which just seems odd to me they'd name characters that aren't meant to have any significance.
Clearly, the Nemesis can transform in IDW's comics.
Can it though? For all we know, the ship was only equipped with a transformation cog for the sole purpose of integrating it with Unicron.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

It did play out though... She went and asked the Visionaries to help evacuate the planet.
How many did it actually save?

I don't think so. IDW has been pretty open about using characters from beyond just G1 ever since Barber took over. Especially with the introduction of the colony worlds. And The Gathering/Ascending was a different continuity
Maybe it is a round-about reference? Maybe Barber just gave a couple of filler characters recognizable names? it probably does not matter.