James Roberts "taking a break" from Transformers

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

James Roberts "taking a break" from Transformers

Post by andersonh1 »

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/ ... 89888?s=19
Me and Transformers are taking a break after LL#25.
Thoughts? Given that I haven't enjoyed Roberts writing since the early days of MTMTE, I can't say I'm unhappy, but he does have a devoted group of readers. Will this be good for the franchise, bad, or neither? Any thoughts on his world building, which his fans seem to genuinely enjoy?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: James Roberts "taking a break" from Transformers

Post by Shockwave »

Isn't IDW just ending TF comics anyway? So that begs the question to me if they're coming back or if IDW is going to start over with a new continuity at some point... I've enjoyed the content they've put out, between the developed characters and the world building, mostly I've enjoyed the fact that we've gotten totally new characters and different takes on existing ones. It's good to see something different done with something familiar and I'm going to miss that.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:Isn't IDW just ending TF comics anyway? So that begs the question to me if they're coming back or if IDW is going to start over with a new continuity at some point... I've enjoyed the content they've put out, between the developed characters and the world building, mostly I've enjoyed the fact that we've gotten totally new characters and different takes on existing ones. It's good to see something different done with something familiar and I'm going to miss that.
From what I've read, IDW still has the license, they're just ending the current continuity to "put a bow" on it so it's finalized the way the writers want it to be, since they've put so much work into it. I tend to wonder if they really will continue onwards or not, but they say they will, so subject to change, there will be a new Transformers continuity when this one ends.

I think you make some good points about doing new things, and I enjoyed it for a long time, they just took some story and character turns that were not for me. I'd enjoy reading Transformers on a monthly basis again, so I'm hopeful that I'll like the new approach.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Yeah, IDW isn't ending TF comics. Roberts said on his Twitter last month that they're ending the current continuity with the Unicron storyline, and then will reboot with a new continuity.

Little disappointed Roberts will not be involved with establishing this new continuity. The contributions he's made to the IDW universe have been really interesting, so it would have been great to see what he could do starting from scratch. But at least he says it's a 'break' and not that he's off of Transformers for good...
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

He has been on TF for nearly a decade. That is a long tenure on any property for any writer.

I still hold out hope that Kieron Gillen will write TF.