Combiner Wars Wheeljack (or, why bother painting a $15 fig?)

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Combiner Wars Wheeljack (or, why bother painting a $15 f

Post by Sparky Prime »

I wouldn't have minded seeing a new Predaking myself. Optimus and Cyclonus were some odd choices, but they allowed Hasbro to get more use out of the molds. That's something I've noticed they've been consistent with in Combiner Wars. Every mold has gotten at least 2 uses, if not more, either through repaints or remolds. I'd think that'd be more difficult with animal based Transformers, but seeing how much they've remolded some of the other Combiner Wars figures, I'd think they could have found a way to do it.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

And what happened with Galvatronus anyway? We never did get limbs for Cyclonus (yeah, I know they did in Japan, but here we got nothing).
They said outright when he was revealed that he wasn't intended to have any specific set of limbs.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:That's weird. Although in hindsight, they've already done some weird things in this line. I mean, did we really need either Optimus Maximus or Galvatronus? And what happened with Galvatronus anyway? We never did get limbs for Cyclonus (yeah, I know they did in Japan, but here we got nothing). I much rather would have seen Abominus and Pirhanacon. Seriously, something with animal alt modes would have allowed for a lot more diversity. I dunno, on the one hand we got some pretty good stuff like Devastator and Superion and Bruticus and Defensor but then there's all the weird stuff as well.
It's obvious they're trying to squeeze extra cash out of characters the fans or the kids will buy more of without having to crank out new characters for Optimus v1 or Cyclonus. They don't want a glut of 8 deluxe characters on pegs at once fighting for attention and choking the brand, I suspect.

I agree with the group that having more mold variety for this line would have lent the line more satisfaction, but I suspect they're smarting from sales issues with the movie and shows not having product success at the level they want, right at the same time as they move production to Vietnam, making it a challenge. I think they overreached by 20%.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?