Bye bye Windblade vol 2, hello Till All Are One

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
JediTricks
Site Admin

Bye bye Windblade vol 2, hello Till All Are One

Post by JediTricks »

Windblade Vol 2 ends at issue 7, which I think is utterly bonkers. I think over half of vol 2's run will have been about Combiner Wars instead of the titular character.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/07/10/sdcc ... age-296552

It looks like Till All Are One will continue the basic Windblade thing going on now under a new title, but it's still really weird that a popular title like Windblade that was bringing in a new audience is getting scrapped so soon.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Bye bye Windblade vol 2, hello Till All Are One

Post by Onslaught Six »

I think this is less a cancelled book and more of a renaming to reflect the exact thing you're talking about--the book wasn't just about Windblade, so to keep it named that is bad.

Have they announced yet if they're keeping the numbering like with The Book Formerly Known As RID?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

It's a big shift, there's even a time jump. Both articles I saw said "restart" so my guess is new numbering. Numbah ONNNNNE!

I don't know how good an idea it is to create a book specifically to draw in a new audience only to pull the rug out from under that audience that won't be used to Comic Book shenanigans like this.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Onslaught Six wrote:I think this is less a cancelled book and more of a renaming to reflect the exact thing you're talking about--the book wasn't just about Windblade, so to keep it named that is bad.
This is what I was thinking, that they want the title to reflect the broader scope of the book beyond just one character. Do they have enough storylines to support three ongoing Transformers titles, I wonder? The two we have now are pretty decompressed as it is.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Considering The Transformers is apparently going back to Galvatron stuff and MTMTE is still aimlessly in space, I think a single comic focusing on Cybertron and the colonies should have enough content to stand on its own.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:It's a big shift, there's even a time jump. Both articles I saw said "restart" so my guess is new numbering. Numbah ONNNNNE!
Yeah, given they say Windblade concludes with issue 7 and "Till All Are One" is a new ongoing, it sounds like TAAO will be starting with a new number 1. Which does seem a little silly considering it sounds like it'll basically be the same book, just with somewhat less of a focus on Windblade.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

JediTricks wrote:Considering The Transformers is apparently going back to Galvatron stuff and MTMTE is still aimlessly in space, I think a single comic focusing on Cybertron and the colonies should have enough content to stand on its own.
Jesus, I completely forgot about that plot line. IDW Voyager Galvatron when? (I will also accept a Leader.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Renaming/numbering a series (or, alternatively, having a similar series replace a cancelled title) is standard practice. There is nothing wrong with it. And, considering that IDW's focus has been to make TF as generic as possible these past few years, it is to be expected.

(Barber is pretty much on my "do not bother" list at this point though.)
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:
JediTricks wrote:Considering The Transformers is apparently going back to Galvatron stuff and MTMTE is still aimlessly in space, I think a single comic focusing on Cybertron and the colonies should have enough content to stand on its own.
Jesus, I completely forgot about that plot line. IDW Voyager Galvatron when? (I will also accept a Leader.)
Of course you did, it sucked, I dropped the title for the issues where that was its main focus.

Given Hasbro's current track record, I doubt we'll be seeing Galvatron anytime soon.

Dominic wrote:Renaming/numbering a series (or, alternatively, having a similar series replace a cancelled title) is standard practice. There is nothing wrong with it.
7 issues is not standard. And half of those issues aren't even focused on the titular character. Maybe the series can just be issue 1's every month, they could call it "Transformers: First Issue."
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Comics have not automatically focused on titular characters for years. Gruenwald's run on "Captain America" was as much about the Serpent Society as it was about Steve Rogers. Hickman's "New Avengers" should technically have been called "Illuminati".

If nothing else, cancelling and replacing the book might fix the problem. It is not a real problem. You want a Scott-written TF book, you are getting one.