SDCC Devastator review

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
JediTricks
Site Admin

SDCC Devastator review

Post by JediTricks »

And here it is, not even a power outage or a car fire could stop this from happening! It's the official TFviews review of SDCC-exclusive Devastator "special edition":

http://www.tfviews.com/news/reviews/2763

There's about 200 photos in the review, so many that I'm not totally sure I used everything I intended to. I tried to keep the blah-blah wordcount down, focusing exclusively on things that needed to be explained. Honestly, Devastator has some shortcomings but is so freakin' huge and cool and stable that I gotta recommend him.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Re: SDCC Devastator review

Post by andersonh1 »

Nice review! A picture is worth a thousand words, and the picture of Devastator beside Superion really says a lot. SWEET. Seriously, well done Hasbro for giving us that giant of a figure.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Thanks! Also, somehow I also crammed about two thousand words into that review :p so apparently to me photos aren't everything it turns out, but they are the main thing.

Yeah, that was the tipping point for me, I set up Superion next to it and it was like a switch had been flipped, this WAS the figure we had been waiting for.

I also like the following comparison because the deluxes are the mainstays of my collection and they look properly lilliputian next to Devastator:
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The combined scale is impressive. But, I cannot see paying that much for a figure that really only looks good in one mode. And, knowing that the Hapanese variant (complete with additional guns) is out there would make me crazy.

It is amusing that Longhaul has to carry the extra bits, as the character lamented his role as a mule.

Why is it problematic for Mixmaster to have a modern alternate mode? (ref: the Q and A)
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I think SDCC is the edge of pricing that's imaginable for this. The free-shipping offer on Takara might be understandable if you are really into the Constructicons, I feel like they're ok as-is, but the Takara version has elbows for Long Haul and Scrapper, as well as lower knees for Bonecrusher and Hook, plus the weapons.

I didn't know when I wrote the question that Mixmaster was based on a real vehicle, I've never seen a front-discharge mixer before so I didn't know this was a common enough thing to justify using it. The rest of the vehicles aren't modern updates, but then again I suppose they wouldn't have to be.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Hasbro got me the replacement hand today, so I have updated the Dev review with some new photos to reflect that. I also added a replacement photo of the box open, 2 new photos of the tray (with and without Dev), close-up of the hand open and closed, a better shot of Bonecrusher in arm mode attached to Devastator, and a new pose that didn't quite look as good in photos as it did in person. I removed the line in the "issues" about the incorrect hand, and instead posted an update near the top of the review explaining the change since I didn't want to reshoot every single photo.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Jedi, awesome review and pics.

Sadly I have no plans to buy this toy. As it's not my cup of tea.

Don't like over sized toys. I think the Six Generations Constructicons should have all been Deluxe class. Not Ultra class. Think it's all kinds of wrong to have a Generations Combiners Wars Devastator that is way bigger than the other Combiners Wars Gestalts.

Don't like some of the poorly articulated Constructicons on the Hasbro versions. Takara gets points for having their version with more articulation.

Would have preferred Hasbro and Takara did a Titan sized G-1 Trypticons instead of a Titan Devastator. My ideal Titan Trypticon is one that has a dino mode, robot mode and city mode.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Thanks.

For me, the scale works when one considers that there are more than the usual 5 combiners on the team, and they're all bigger guys. And while the individual constructicons' styling denotes a smaller bot, their alt modes definitely are bigger creatures, so it gets by. It's more stable than the other CW combiners as well.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

I'm debating whether or not to pick up Devvy. I've started a new side gig that gives me discretionary income and I could pick him up, so it's not money that's an issue so much as space and aesthetics.

He's significantly shorter than Metroplex, right? I'm kind of OCD about having my showpiece figures be roughly the same scale with eachother, and each one must have an opposite faction guy to square off against (IE, I need two leader-class figures, one autobot, one decepticon).

I'm basically wondering if I should pick up Devvy or wait until Hasbro reveals more about their titan wars if there may be a decepticon who either is the same size as 'Plex or at least looks good next to him (where my trypticon at, homeboys?)
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

He comes up to Metroplex's chest. I don't think you'll find a single figure that can stand against Devastator, but that's kind of the point: he's the biggest and the baddest, it's going to take a lot of effort and cooperation to bring him down. I haven't seen many Devastators in the last month, I think he's drying up, demand has held pretty well around here.