Combiner Wars news: Slingshot & Wildrider for US release

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
JediTricks
Site Admin

Combiner Wars news: Slingshot & Wildrider for US release

Post by JediTricks »

Check the TFV news today at 9am PST/12 noon EST for some news that might make May a little more interesting for Combiner Wars collectors.

UPDATE: ok, so the news went live and it's that Wildrider (renamed Brake-Neck) and Slingshot (renamed Quickslinger) are going to get US releases so the G1-purists out there can build their ideal Superion and Menasor.

I'll be doing a full review of each figure later today and then be doing reviews of the rest of the Aerialbots and Stunticons as we go along.

If you have any questions about them, please post them here. I've already gotten confirmation from Hasbro that the pricing will be in line with the mass-release deluxes.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Re: TFV will have some Combiner Wars news at 9am PST today

Post by andersonh1 »

Nice! Is the news exclusive to our site?

Looks like a lot of good stuff is coming our way.

And as someone who would like to have all the original characters, this is definitely good news.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: TFV will have some Combiner Wars news at 9am PST today

Post by JediTricks »

andersonh1 wrote:Nice! Is the news exclusive to this site?
No, Hasbro gave other outlets the same access to the figures and news so it's not exclusive, the timing is based on an embargo so we all get to launch it at the same time, but it is ours to crow about being part of, and the photos are ours of course.

HA! Nicely edited, Anderson. Yeah, May Mayhem sounds like a pretty cool promotion and hopefully existing product gets to shelves in greater numbers so that fans can find what they need to complete these characters.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Re: Combiner Wars news: Slingshot & Wildrider for US release

Post by andersonh1 »

Yeah, one of these days I'm going to finalize what I want to say BEFORE hitting the submit button. :lol:

I wonder why they didn't go with "Brakedown" as a name since they've used that before?

It is nice to see them integrating the comics into their product promotion.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Still looking for Airraid myself. If I find Airraid, then I will buy Quickslingshoter.

I wonder why they didn't go with "Brakedown" as a name since they've used that before?
Wildrider is the missing Stunticon. Breakdown is already part of wave 2.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote:Wildrider is the missing Stunticon. Breakdown is already part of wave 2.
That's right, I'm thinking "Break-neck" and it's coming out "Brakedown". Still, I wonder what the deal was with Wildrider's name?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Brake Neck is an odd name, but if you're a wild-rider, you might break your neck. ;) Apparently Wild Rider is a motorcycle rental place, but it's small, I can't imagine that's what is holding them back.

I did think it was weird that we'll have a Breakdown and a Brake-Neck on the same team.

Air Raid is pretty decent, feels a touch similar to Skydive but in practice they're actually very different, especially with Skydive's shoulders transforming differently. My Air Raid was manufactured with a flaw so the right wing area can't sit fully flat though. I saw Air Raid at Target last weekend but didn't realize you were hunting for him, and Hasbro had just confirmed I was getting the whole set for this review so I didn't bother.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Wildrider/Brake-Neck review is online now that the UPS driver delivered Dead End.

http://www.tfviews.com/news/toysandcollectibles/2113
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

And now Slingshot/Quickslinger's review is up:

http://www.tfviews.com/news/toysandcollectibles/2139

I think that's going to be all the Combiner Wars reviews for today, I forgot 2 more photos I wanted to take so I need to get to those, then I need a rest. I might get 1 more review up tonight, it depends on how I feel.

BTW, I wanted to do these "pro/con" like I did the FOC Bruticus reviews, but these figures are a little simpler and it felt like there wouldn't look like enough pros and cons, despite both figures being decent.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Would you be posting scans of the full page character profiles from the backs of the comics?

The issues being reprinted for the comics are bad choices, especially given that there is a dedicated "Combiner Wars" comic available. now. (I liked the run of comics that the reprinted comics are from. But, they are not appropriate for "Combiner Wars" pack-ins.)

Brakeneck looks good over-all. But, I do not like the over-all look of Menasor's arms.