Hasbro needs to do new versions of G1 characters

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Hasbro needs to do new versions of G1 characters

Post by Shockwave »

Onslaught Six wrote:All that bitching about the mould and not once do you mention the terrible enlarged head plate? That's the worst thing about it!
What headplate? I thought the head was fine on those.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

The head, sure, but the black piece (I think it was black on all 3 colour schemes) that the head is attached to is so unnecessarily large, especially after the promo pics had it much smaller. Compare:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/tra ... 0801122022

Actually, now that I look at it, I think it was a trick of angles all along. Maybe. Even so, on the real toy it looks way higher and way worse.

Here's an interesting thing: People have been decrying the simpler transformations and such from the newer CW toys, but let's all remember what the "more complex" era usually gave us--Prowl, with his way-too-complicated door transformation bit that led them to be popping off all the time, and goofy head thing that is probably why the headplate is so big. Ratchet and Ironhide, with their over-engineered waists and bad vehicle mode panels. Galvatron. (Just Galvatron. All of him.) I mean, CW Megatron is inarguably less complex than, say, ROTF Prime, or even Movie 1 Prime, and yet he's also way more fun and cool. Little kid On6 would be thrilled to have this toy.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

There is a huge difference between "I do not even want to touch the fucking thing" ("Cybertron" Smokescreen, most any "Alternator") and "too simple" (the Chopshop that came with the Legends scale Megatron).

"Combiner Wars" Blackjack is a good balance. I needed the instructions to transform it. But, it is not impossible to remember.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the key is to have a "tipping point" step. The idea should be to have one or two pieces that establish where everything else fits. The trick should be getting to and past that step. The rest should just be fiddling.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Back up, Dom--Cybertron Smokescreen?! Crosswise?! That's possibly the best car mould in Cybertron, and you're shitting on it?!
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

It looks really good. But, it is a pain in the ass to transform.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Not...really? I've had more problems with most Movie toys than him. You have problems with goddamn Cybertron Crosswise (or Smokescreen, whatever) but you don't like how "simple" Combiner Wars are?! Like, is there nothing to make Transformers fans happy?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Onslaught Six wrote:Not...really? I've had more problems with most Movie toys than him. You have problems with goddamn Cybertron Crosswise (or Smokescreen, whatever) but you don't like how "simple" Combiner Wars are?! Like, is there nothing to make Transformers fans happy?
No, no there isn't.

I dunno, I'm generally pretty happy. Despite my initial complaints about Menasor, I actually do like him. Yeah, there are a few flaws here and there, but what figure doesn't? I do think the individual Stunticons are better separately. There's really some interesting transformations they've managed to pull off, each Stunticon transforms differently. The Aerialbots more or less are the same or very similar, especially in the legs.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

138 Scourge wrote:
I'm pretty happy with Hound, I thought they pulled him off pretty well. I cant really see what they'd do differently on a new one.
I was picturing something bigger, more squared off, more detailing.
So something more like the Alernator, but Deluxe sized? I could see that being pretty cool.
Yeah, except military rather than civilian, since the Alternator version was a civilian Jeep.
Backstop the muhfugging rhino. Bring back the butt-handed bandit!
I forgot how much you guys fetishized that one :D
Pipes if he weren't a repaint/remold of Huffer, I'd be sad because then I'd want that mold to be Huffer instead of the Optimus we just got.
Probably I would too, but I despite liking Huffer okay I think I like Pipes better. No idea why as the only really memorable Pipes scene was him being stomped to death, but whatever.
That was an amazing scene in that book.
Yeah, and Blackjack is actually pretty decent. I feel you on the pricepoint, though. Remember that much cash buying a deluxe? These are crazy times. Still, I feel like there's a few Decepticons left that would make for good Legends toys. The Deluxe Insecticons? Ratbat? Slugfest or Overkill?
I'll keep an eye out for Blackjack, naturally since I started looking he's dried up. I can't even believe how this line has taken a beating on the economic front.

Deluxe Insecticons the same scale as regular? You are a brave one! I do like Slugfest and Overkill idea though, that would fit nicely, though I assume the alt modes would end up changed.
You can tell I just burned through the Humble Bundle, huh? While I'm at it, let's get some DJD toys out, too.
These comics do a good job making us want these figures.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

JediTricks wrote:Ratchet and Ironhide need new figures, based on the same mold or not, as their previous versions are pretty dated and wildly flawed. Ratchet's look should really be taken from MTMTE, which is fairly different from other Ratchet layouts.
Ironhide is getting 2 new figures, a Combiner Wars and a Masterpiece. The Combiner Wars doesn't look like it'll be my speed.
Hound, the existing figure is cute but simplistic and awkward. I know the character is somewhat checked out of the library in terms of his role in the comics, but he's still got cred.
Hound is getting a CW body and it looks alright.
Prowl, armored or not, shouldn't be that last figure, that mold isn't Prowl-enough.
CW for Prowl, and it looks ok, not brilliant but ok.
Sunstreaker and Sideswipe being based on a plump Gallardo is no good, let's get a newer car and a better transformation.
Sunstreaker gets CWized, and it's an interesting way of doing it since it's his G1 alt mode.

Dom wrote:-Sky Lynx
-Shockwave
The former is getting a CW voyager class, if you can believe that! The latter is even wilder, it's getting a very interesting Legends-class that turns into his classic alt mode for other figures to wield.
-Swindle
He's getting a CW body that Hound is based off of, and for Swindle I dunno if it looks right, the SDCC photos and preview images haven't quite worked, so it's wait and see.
Wheeljack (has never had a proper IDW based figure)
I suppose the new CW figure is somewhat more like the IDW body, but I am not sure that's what you were looking for.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Hound is getting a CW body and it looks alright.
Hound is pretty much the only one of these guys that I'm getting.

Does anyone else think Sky Lynx could make an interesting Sixshot retool?