Questions about the IDW TF Humble Bundle round 2

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Questions about the IDW TF Humble Bundle round 2

Post by Tigermegatron »

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Think this is perfect for me. As I stopped buying and reading the IDW TF comics Three years ago.

1- who here has done this IDW TF comics humble bundle thing?

2- How does this work? Does IDW mail you the comics issues? Does IDW Email the PDF comics files? Do I need to download any type of program in order to read these comics online? Once I have these comics emailed to me, Can I download them on to my computer then upload them to a USB storage thing?

2a- Or does IDW only let humble bundle buyers view these comics on their IDW site for a certain expired time?

3- What's the lowest amount buyers can pay? Thinking I need to pay at least $22 to unlock everything and read everything.

4- Noticed on the IDW Bundle 2 site. That if buyers want to unlock the Rid volumes 1-6 then need to first pay over $11.28 for the MTMTE volumes 1-6

5- If I pay enough on the MTMTE Volumes 1-6 and unlock the Rid Volumes 1-6. Do I then have to pay more to read the Rid volumes 1-6. Once I've bought MTMTE V 1-6 and RID V 1-6, Do I then need to pay more to read the Dark Cybertron volume 1 and pay more to read MTMTE #34-37?

6- If I pay $22 in total on this humble bundle part 2. Does this unlock everything. Which means I get to Read MTMTE V 1-6, RID V 1-6, Dark Cybertron V 1, MTMTE #34-37, RID #34-37, Dark Cybertron volume 2?
andersonh1

Re: Questions about the IDW TF Humble Bundle round 2

Post by andersonh1 »

I need to go read this. So is this physical comics, or electronic? Or whichever you pick?

TigerMegs, good to see you again. Haven't noticed you around for awhile.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

andersonh1 wrote:I need to go read this. So is this physical comics, or electronic? Or whichever you pick?

TigerMegs, good to see you again. Haven't noticed you around for awhile.
Thanks for the nice welcome back words.

Update: I payed $17.00. Apparently this was the amount needed to unlock and buy everything on the Humble bundle round 2 IDW TF page.

This appears to be a digital download.

I'm in the process right now of download RID Volume 6 using the PDF HQ download. it's taking a while to download. Will let eveyone know how this turn out and the quality of this.

Plan to download everything then upload it on to a USB storage thing.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I did this with the last time they did this, but only paid enough to get their lowest tier, which for that one was the first four volumes of IDW's G1 collections. (I don't have those collected anywhere in any form so I figured I'd throw in a few bucks or whatever and be fine with it.) I chose the .cbz option because I am already familiar with the format--it's pretty common for pirated comics to be distributed in that format and it's very easy to find a reader, some of which I was already familiar with anyway. From what I've heard, somehow this is supposed to be compatible with the Comixology app, so if that's a thing you like then that's good. I also have a 10" Android tablet now which I'll probably be able find a cool app to read these on.

Humble Bundle is a super-popular thing now, there's not just comics but video games, music and all sorts of other cool stuff, and they have a SUPER solid infrastructure in place now to redownload your shit if you ever lose or delete it. Last time I opted not to create an account, but I searched my email and they gave me a link which allowed me to access my downloads again, and in under a minute I had created an account and associated it with the old purchase, so that's super easy to do. Cool!

Also, the files are entirely DRM free, which basically means you can do whatever you want with them. Put them on as many devices as you want, read them however you want, email them to yourself, whatever. This is awesome for obvious reasons.

Deathy: Not sure where you got $22 from, seems like there was some confusion in your original post, but it sounds like from your second post that you got things figured out, so that's good. The wording is a little bit confusing for someone who isn't experienced with these bundles and how they work.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I did this on the previous TF comics humble bundle, the Dark Horse "bye bye" Star Wars comics humble bundle, and the Lucasarts Star Wars video games humble bundle. For reading materials, files are hosted on the Humble Bundle website under your account, you have access anytime, the files are DRM-free PDFs, ePubs, and .cbz formats which covers I think all of the major e-reader devices out there, as well as PCs and Mac systems, and most Android and Apple mobile devices. Some are also offered as HD PDFs and mobi, and if updated versions are put out, there's a date with a newer version. You can save all files to your computer if you're concerned about them going out of business or just want to have 'em all, all books are via direct link or bittorrent. (Games are different, they come as Steam keys and you have to use Steam to access them.)

The lowest payment is $1, I believe, but there are various tiers to encourage more spending, each bundle has its own unlock-all pricing. The buyer determines where the money goes, should they want to.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The fact that they are not wholly cloud based is good. (If I buy something, I want to have a copy, not just access.)

But, I can only see myself going in for digital if there is exclusive content (back-matter and such). Marvel actually took down some of their back-matter stuff....right after I got a phone that could get it. *grumble*
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Update of sorts.

I've decided from the start not to download any of these comics on to my computer hard drive. Because I noticed a few of these so called comic book readers download programs are adware based and leave adware type programs all over your computer. From my bad experiences with Adware programs they are another word for viruses being put on your computer.

I decided to sign up for a account on the IDW site and read all of the comics online in the IDW site library section. As best as I know, this Library is like a cloud program. I download the lower quality PDF comics on the IDW site in my Library section and read everything on the IDW Site.

Best to my guessing, Don't think the comics in a users IDW site library ever expire.

For those curious or not. So far I've read Volumes 1,2 & 3 of the MTMTE Comics and I've read RID Volumes 1,2 & 3. My plan is to read a Volume or 2 of each IDW Rid or MTMTE Volume each night.

This IDW TF Bundle 2 is perfect for me as I stopped reading and buying the TF comics when the Choas sage ended. Rid and MTMTE seems to pick up directly after Choas ended.

The MTMTE volumes are a pain to read, as they have far too many words written on each page. It's like reading a long novel. Don't like how MTMTE focuses on so much back story from the past. noticed MTMTE has more pages than the Rid comic. Like the MTMTE characters more than the RID Characters

RID has less words on a page and less pages in each volume compared to MTMTE. Find this comic less booring than MTMTE. Find the RID characters selection to be vastly inferior to the MTMTE characters selection.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I always appreciated the dense read of MTMTE, because I felt like I was getting more story for my money. I do agree that series spends way too much time dwelling on the past though.

Alex Milne has grown and grown as an artist. Anyone remember when people used to gripe about his artwork? I seem to remember he wasn't all that well received in the past, but he does an awesome job these days.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Tigermegatron wrote:Update of sorts.

I've decided from the start not to download any of these comics on to my computer hard drive. Because I noticed a few of these so called comic book readers download programs are adware based and leave adware type programs all over your computer. From my bad experiences with Adware programs they are another word for viruses being put on your computer.
Then use the PDFs, which you can do with the built-in Windows reader, or you can use Google Chrome, assuming you refuse to use the Adobe Reader program.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

You could even rename the .cbz files to .rar files, and extract the images themselves to just view in Windows.