IDW "Combiner Wars" comic discussion and speculation

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: IDW "Combiner Wars" comic discussion and speculation

Post by Dominic »

Even the Prime/Autobot combiner ignored the idea of combiner mind-set? You are saying this event is effectively more shallow that the comics from 25+ years ago?

The scale issue might be the result of a Hasbro mandate that the robots be drawn huuuuuuuuuuuge.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:I feel like this event missed a big opportunity to delve into the combiner mindset and how it affects the individuals in the team, going instead for a slugfest.
Yeah, I was hoping they'd explore that more as well.
Dominic wrote:Even the Prime/Autobot combiner ignored the idea of combiner mind-set?
I wouldn't say they outright ignored the combiner mind-set. Starscream asked if the Protectobots thought they were in sync with each other before using the Enigma on them. It at least implies the combiner works better the more in sync the individuals are with one-another. And the iTunes preview for the final issue shows Ultra Prime freeze up when Devastator talks to Prowl.
JediTricks wrote:Also, Ramondelli is drawing these guys waaaaaay too big for my tastes
I can't say that I'm a big fan of his artwork to begin with... I thought they'd switch between him and Sarah Stone, but instead, she only did the art for one issue.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I like Sarah's artwork, but her inexperience with actual print comics that have deadlines shows when she's put to the test. I suspect she was meant to do more issues, but couldn't make the deadlines or something.

Ramondelli must be the nicest guy in the world who makes deadlines like a fucking boss, because that is the only reason I can see keeping him around. I would actually genuinely like to see him pencil (and maybe even ink) a book but have someone else colour it, just to see how differently the art would turn out. (Have that Rhonda Pattison chick from Atomic Robo and TMNT do it, her work is gorgeous.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I like Sarah's artwork, but her inexperience with actual print comics that have deadlines shows when she's put to the test. I suspect she was meant to do more issues, but couldn't make the deadlines or something.
I don't recall that she had any trouble meeting the deadlines for the first Windblade mini-series. Besides, even if she did have problems meeting the deadline, rotating the artists would help to alleviate that.
I would actually genuinely like to see him pencil (and maybe even ink) a book but have someone else colour it, just to see how differently the art would turn out.
Well there has been different colorists for Ramondelli's work over the various storyline's he's done work for... While I think some complement his work more than others, it's really just his style I don't care for.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Sometimes, struggling with deadlines does not actually mean the book is late. It could also be that the artwork suffers, or further plans are scrapped, because of one book's lateness. We all remember that six page debate about why Chromia would start shooting all over the place and it turned out to be Blurr, right? If Combiner Wars is anything like Dark Cybertron, the issues were done concurrently with previously released comics for packaging/printing reasons. (Hasbro needs an extra month or two for the comics to get to the packaging plant, or whatever.) It's possible all five issues were written at the same time so that the art could be divvied up equally, and then Stone had problems getting everything done quickly--hence, Ramondelli making the save for 4 issues of the 5. Just an idle theory, mind you.
Well there has been different colorists for Ramondelli's work over the various storyline's he's done work for... While I think some complement his work more than others, it's really just his style I don't care for.
Well, whoever puts those crazy filters on top of everything needs to be fired. Or shot.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Onslaught Six wrote:Sometimes, struggling with deadlines does not actually mean the book is late. It could also be that the artwork suffers, or further plans are scrapped, because of one book's lateness. We all remember that six page debate about why Chromia would start shooting all over the place and it turned out to be Blurr, right? If Combiner Wars is anything like Dark Cybertron, the issues were done concurrently with previously released comics for packaging/printing reasons. (Hasbro needs an extra month or two for the comics to get to the packaging plant, or whatever.) It's possible all five issues were written at the same time so that the art could be divvied up equally, and then Stone had problems getting everything done quickly--hence, Ramondelli making the save for 4 issues of the 5. Just an idle theory, mind you.
I get the art can suffer if the artist is rushing to meet the deadline, but still, she could clearly meet the deadlines with the original Windblade mini-series, even if she perhaps had to rush a bit with the later issues. As such, I see no reason to assume Ramondelli had to "make the save". Even is Stone was struggling, they could have still had her do every other issue or something so that wouldn't have been an issue at all. And Stone's style of art is better than Ramondelli's in my opinion.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote:I feel like this event missed a big opportunity to delve into the combiner mindset and how it affects the individuals in the team, going instead for a slugfest.
I think the mental state of the combined components is something we've seen to some degree with Prowl and the Constructicons, and we'll probably see more of in future with the other combiners, so it didn't really bother me.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

andersonh1 wrote:
I think the mental state of the combined components is something we've seen to some degree with Prowl and the Constructicons, and we'll probably see more of in future with the other combiners, so it didn't really bother me.
Indeed, we've even seen it before with Monstructor and Menasor and this time they even delved into it a bit with superion when Prime is addressing Silverbolt.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I would not count Monstructor and Menasor unless they show up (and the merged-mind topic is dealt with) in "Combiner Wars". Costa and Furman are long out the door. Barber should not assume newer readers (such as those brought in by the toys) are going to read back-issues.

I get the art can suffer if the artist is rushing to meet the deadline, but still, she could clearly meet the deadlines with the original Windblade mini-series, even if she perhaps had to rush a bit with the later issues. As such, I see no reason to assume Ramondelli had to "make the save". Even is Stone was struggling, they could have still had her do every other issue or something so that wouldn't have been an issue at all. And Stone's style of art is better than Ramondelli's in my opinion.
Ramondelli does good city/battle-scapes. But, his figures do tend to be weak (especially when they lack obvious "tells" such as a mouthpiece or distinctive helmet). I can see using him for "Combiner Wars". But, they should have given him correct reference material.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Menasor did show in CW. But, the topic was whether or not IDW was going to address the subject of Combiner personalities and Monstructor still counts as an example of when they've already done that.