IDW "Combiner Wars" comic discussion and speculation

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

Re: IDW "Combiner Wars" comic discussion and speculation

Post by andersonh1 »

Combiner Wars opening salvo
Otherwise known as Chapter one. The art, as usual with this guy, has a great gritty visual style that's very distinctive, but it's not always easy to follow the storytelling. And how tiny can they make the lettering? In any case, I enjoyed the issue despite my complaints. Any time the focus is on Optimus Prime, it works for me. Starscream is clearly looking to expand his power base to the colonies, and his ploy to justify his own Combiners ("You've got one!") gives him a reasonable cover for his actions, though Combiners seem like nukes to me. The less people that have them, the better.

An arms race over Combiners feels like a more classic G1 theme compared to what IDW storylines are normally about, so I like the storyline, even if it is toy-driven. But then the old show and comics were largely toy-driven as well, so again it's a very retro approach. Throw some new figures at the writers and make them figure out how to integrate them into the ongoing storylines.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Just read the latest issues last night. And that thing we've been speculating has sort of started.
Spoiler
Scoop joined the Constructicons. But, he is still called Scoop and not Scrapper or Scrapper II or anything like that.
Also, the merged form of Prime and the various other Autobots finally made his appearance. Optimus Maximus or Maximus Primus or Optimus Magnus Minimus Maximus or whatever. I'm kind of surprised that we haven't seen Bruticus yet. In either comic or toy form.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:I'm kind of surprised that we haven't seen Bruticus yet. In either comic or toy form.
I doubt we'll see Bruticus in Combiner Wars since we haven't had any indication he's getting a new toy (or a re-release of the FOC toy) and there's only one part left of the story. Still, with Swindle having a fairly big part to play in the comic, it would have been nice to see Bruticus show up.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Sparky Prime wrote:
Shockwave wrote:I'm kind of surprised that we haven't seen Bruticus yet. In either comic or toy form.
I doubt we'll see Bruticus in Combiner Wars since we haven't had any indication he's getting a new toy (or a re-release of the FOC toy) and there's only one part left of the story. Still, with Swindle having a fairly big part to play in the comic, it would have been nice to see Bruticus show up.
Yeah that strikes me as odd that we haven't seen pics of an updated version or even hear about one. I mean, all the potential pieces are there and I think we all reasonably expect it to happen, so it's wierd to me that we haven't even heard anything.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

The framework of Optimus conversing with Prowl, Starscream conversing with Scoop, Mirage conversing with Ironhide felt a little forced and trying hard to be something it's not. It did a so-so job of building up to the big surprise finale (to which I looked over at my Menasor and said "damnit, they're all the same pieces!"). It did a horrible job of justifying anybody believing Starscream about anything. The amount of baggage with Prowl felt excessive. I didn't buy the idea of combiners wanting to stay combined, that didn't jibe too well; nor did the Decepticons deciding to run to Caminus. Ramondelli's art felt a bit rushed. At this point, I can't wait to be done with this event, it's not working well enough AND it's not doing a very good job playing into the combiners I just got, they feel like background nothings.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Shockwave wrote:
Sparky Prime wrote:
Yeah that strikes me as odd that we haven't seen pics of an updated version or even hear about one. I mean, all the potential pieces are there and I think we all reasonably expect it to happen, so it's wierd to me that we haven't even heard anything.
There are listings. Expect news at Botcon.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Read chapters 2, 3 and 4 last night, and I really wish the art was clearer. Good story though.

-There are some good classic Transformers moments here with the giant Combiners going after each other.
-The origin of the Protectobots and Defensor seems rather odd and quick with just an offhand comment and a flick of the Enigma by Starscream.
-Prowl seriously needs to be reprimanded for insubordination, but then that should have happened a long time ago. And does he really think Transformers are on a suicide course to destruction, no matter what? His outlook has changed if that's the case.
- It's a nice idea (toy-based of course) to not only re-create the old combiners, but also a new one with Optimus, Prowl, Ironhide, Sunstreaker and Mirage. Something old, something new.
- Nice reference to the Mirage Spotlight from years ago. I guess they felt the need to clear up what was going on, though I doubt most readers really care at this point.
- And who didn't see Scoop joining the Constructicons? Though if they're still Prowl groupies, who knows if that will last?
- There are all sorts of nice character moments throughout the story. Plenty of small things to enjoy, even the "Wide Tankor" and "Tall Tankor" joke, or however the two were distinguished.
- I wonder how being joined in a combiner with Optimus Prime will affect Prowl, Ironhide, Mirage and Sunstreaker? Or vice versa? I always enjoy seeing a grouping of characters from the 1984 line, so seeing these five interacting was another highlight for me.

I need to track down chapter 1. And chapter 5 wraps everything up, correct?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

-Prowl seriously needs to be reprimanded for insubordination, but then that should have happened a long time ago. And does he really think Transformers are on a suicide course to destruction, no matter what? His outlook has changed if that's the case.
It makes sense. Prowl flirted with idealism during Costa's run. And, frustrated idealists are usually the most cynical.

- Nice reference to the Mirage Spotlight from years ago. I guess they felt the need to clear up what was going on, though I doubt most readers really care at this point.
Damned fanfic grade writing. (Yeah, it is official. But, why exactly couldn't Barber just leave it the hell alone?)

- And who didn't see Scoop joining the Constructicons? Though if they're still Prowl groupies, who knows if that will last?
I predicted it, but really wanted to be wrong. (As soon as it was revealed that Scoop survived "Dark Cybertron", I figuring this was going to happen. But, I really expected and hoped for more from Barber.)

-I wonder how being joined in a combiner with Optimus Prime will affect Prowl, Ironhide, Mirage and Sunstreaker? Or vice versa? I always enjoy seeing a grouping of characters from the 1984 line, so seeing these five interacting was another highlight for me.
Given the tone and direction of the book, Prowl will probably have his "good" re-awakened, and be more like the a typical Autobot and less useful in story terms. (I really want to be wrong about this.)

Between the last year or so worth of comics and TF/Joe, I am not even able to look back on early Barber fondly.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Tall Tankor and "Fast" Tankor ("Fat" Tankor, he always misheard it and didn't know they were calling him tubby).

I feel like this event missed a big opportunity to delve into the combiner mindset and how it affects the individuals in the team, going instead for a slugfest.

Also, Ramondelli is drawing these guys waaaaaay too big for my tastes. There's nothing believable about giant robots standing in awe of a 30-story-tall jet plane as a leg... that sentence was unintentionally ridiculously proof that our hobby is silly. :lol:
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?