IDW "Combiner Wars" comic discussion and speculation

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Re: IDW "Combiner Wars" comic discussion and speculation

Post by Tigermegatron »

BWprowl wrote: The bigger question is if/how they're going to integrate the Armada Megatron toy. Remember Dark Cybertron having to show off the new ArScream figure?
A few days ago I was wondering the same question.

Noticed that Megatron doesn't even yet have his G1 CW Leader size body in the IDW TF current comics. Wondering if IDW will give Megatron that new CW G1 toy body or not. Megatron is currently in deep space on the lost light ship. So to give him a earth alt mode tank would be weird.

:lol: Suppose IDW can do another alternate universe thing. By showing how a G1 Megatron looks like Armada Megatron CW toy in a Alternate universe.

Think the only way for the current IDW Megatron to get his new CW G1 toy body. Would be for the lost light crew to end their mission or make a temporary visit to Cybertron or earth again. Don't see the mission in space ending anytime soon.

Then theirs the thing. In the IDW TF comics where Ratchet said Megatron's body on the inside was damaged due to shockwave over using the space bridge thing inside megatron. Ratchet also said, Megatron's spark was weak and couldn't handle anymore body swaps.

Positive Megatron will get a new body design. As Hasbro needs to advertise the newer Generations and CW toys in the IDW TF comics.

I was thinking that perhaps Megatron have his spark re-energized by vector prime like Cyclonus got in the Choas IDW TF comics. Perhaps Megatron can get infused with special energon or dark energon to re-energize his spark, heal his old body. So that Megatron can swap bodies to get his CW G1 toy body.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Onslaught Six wrote:Of course Starscream the character is going to get page time--but the fact that they randomly made him Armada Starscream because there was a new ArScream you that would come with a comic? Not necessary without the comic. You get my meaning?
Also felt all those newer Generations toys showing up in a few issues of the IDW TF, Dark Cybertron series. Seemed rushed, forced, weird and felt like one huge 1987 Season 4, Rebirth part 1-3, toy commericial.

After I read that IDW TF Humble Bundle round 2. I wanted a toy made for fembot Nautica. Hoping a toy is coming. Loved Cyberetron Thunderclash's water based alt mode toy. Would like to see another one get made.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

You can tell that "Combiner Wars" is a generic event by the fact that we have multiple pages of speculation, and only a few posts talking about the first actual issue.

Positive Megatron will get a new body design. As Hasbro needs to advertise the newer Generations and CW toys in the IDW TF comics.
There is no reason to assume that Megatron would need a new body. Given how stylized the art in "More than Meets the Eye" tends to be, it might well be the "same" as the upcoming "Combiner Wars" body.

The faux-"Armada" Megatron is a bit more problematic. But, the guy at the local hobby shop had an interesting idea. Look at "Armada" Megatron. Now, look at Tarn, In broad strokes, they look similar. Maybe IDW will have Tarn get rebuilt and renamed (or something similar)?

On other notes:

Swinde's heel turn is another step backwards.

I am really starting to miss "Dark Cybertron".
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:There is no reason to assume that Megatron would need a new body. Given how stylized the art in "More than Meets the Eye" tends to be, it might well be the "same" as the upcoming "Combiner Wars" body.
Leader Megs even comes with stickers for an Autobot symbol and some other specific details, making me think Hasbro's heading it off at the pass with "This is the toy of that Megatron, more or less".
The faux-"Armada" Megatron is a bit more problematic.
What's 'faux' about it? It's pretty clearly a new toy of Armada Megatron. It's even called 'Armada Megatron' right on the box.
But, the guy at the local hobby shop had an interesting idea. Look at "Armada" Megatron. Now, look at Tarn, In broad strokes, they look similar. Maybe IDW will have Tarn get rebuilt and renamed (or something similar)?
This is a stupendously silly idea.
Swinde's heel turn is another step backwards.
When the actual hell could you have reasonably counted Swindle as turning face in the first place? Swindle works for Swindle, never anything more.
I am really starting to miss "Dark Cybertron".
I got it as part of the HimbleBimble, I'll have to steel myself and finally read the thing.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

What's 'faux' about it? It's pretty clearly a new toy of Armada Megatron. It's even called 'Armada Megatron' right on the box.
"Armada" was different from G1 in that the character models were more defined. The bar for "looks about right" or "close enough" is much higher for post-beast character models. The new "Armada Megatron" does not look enough like the original for me to think of it as the UT character. (The gun placement, the detailing on the torso, that sort of thing.)

When the actual hell could you have reasonably counted Swindle as turning face in the first place? Swindle works for Swindle, never anything more.
Before "Dark Cybertron", Swindle teamed up with Dirge and Blurr in an attempt to quell the riots. Swindle even went so far as to assist wounded Autobots when joining the Decepticons would have made more sense. And, post "Dark Cybertron", Swindle was shown in Blurr's bar, being friendly with Blurr et al.

It looks like IDW is preparing for the eventuality of a new Swindle from Hasbro. (Technically, this would not be IDW's fault. But, it is a step backwards.)

I got it as part of the HimbleBimble, I'll have to steel myself and finally read the thing.
"Dark Cybertron" is a generic event. Nothing more. Nothing less. It has a few good moments. It has some changes. It has some back-slides. Some of the necessary stuff is handled well, even it is ends up being a step backwards. (Optimus Prime returning as Optimus and leading the Autobots makes some sense on page. But, the real effect is to make Optimus what he has mostly always been.)
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:"Armada" was different from G1 in that the character models were more defined. The bar for "looks about right" or "close enough" is much higher for post-beast character models. The new "Armada Megatron" does not look enough like the original for me to think of it as the UT character. (The gun placement, the detailing on the torso, that sort of thing.)
That's pretty heavily personal preference there. The new Armada Megatron IS a new Armada Megatron. It says so. There's nothing 'faux' about it.

Did you call the new Sky-Byte 'faux' too, since it didn't look 100% like the old cartoon model?
Before "Dark Cybertron", Swindle teamed up with Dirge and Blurr in an attempt to quell the riots. Swindle even went so far as to assist wounded Autobots when joining the Decepticons would have made more sense. And, post "Dark Cybertron", Swindle was shown in Blurr's bar, being friendly with Blurr et al.
I repeat: It's Swindle. Prove to me that he wasn't just putting all that up as BS so he could better screw one or a dozen other people later down the line. Remember the stuff he pulled at the very beginning of Costa's run? People sincerely thought Swindle had really turned there too, to the point that some were *disappointed* when he was revealed to have been working everyone.

Even when he's in the bar in the Windblade comic, it's noted that he's not to be trusted.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

How does that dude go around with that particular name and ever manage to get anything done? If I went to buy a car and the salesman' s name was "Rob M Blind" I doubt I'd be inclined to give them my money.

"Hey, that's Swindle over there." "Oh, really? He seems like a trustworthy sort."
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

138 Scourge wrote:How does that dude go around with that particular name and ever manage to get anything done? If I went to buy a car and the salesman' s name was "Rob M Blind" I doubt I'd be inclined to give them my money.

"Hey, that's Swindle over there." "Oh, really? He seems like a trustworthy sort."
At least he's honest.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I have to admit, that this is not as bad as it could be.

http://tformers.com/combiner-wars-galva ... /news.html

As much as it is an excuse for Hasbro to half-ass another combiner (with no regard to faction), it is theoretically consistent with the comics. (Of course, it still derails "More than Meets the Eye").
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:(Of course, it still derails "More than Meets the Eye").
How so? It's already been set up that a few characters are leaving the Lost Light while they continue their quest uninterrupted. I kinda see it like Ratchet temporarily leaving to be a part of the Drift mini-series... Who should be back soon.