Toy Fair Reveals - Leader Ultra Magnus, Defensor, more

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
JediTricks
Site Admin

Toy Fair Reveals - Leader Ultra Magnus, Defensor, more

Post by JediTricks »

Transformers at Toy Fair starts for me with Ultra freakin' Magnus, complete with Minimus Ambus!
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... 15-182101/
As Kmart would say, I just shipped my drawers!

Also, the trash heap that is Legends Warpath from Legends Megatron, yuck. On the other hand, Legends Viper based on a Cobra Rattler, that is an awesome reuse of Powerglide.
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... 15-182102/

I don't know about this one, Voyager Cyclonus (remolded from CW Silverbolt):
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... nt-182099/
So it turns out they're displaying the wrong head on Cyclonus, that's the gestalt head, it's Galvatron, that explains it, Cyclonus becomes the core of the combiner, Galvatronus.

But those Protectobots, they look pretty darn good, maybe CW will offer me something after all:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... 15-182098/

And finally, the Constructicons, which are as mixed a bag as it gets, look at some of the individual bot limbs, but are big:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... nt-182100/
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Re: Toy Fair Reveals - Leader Ultra Magnus, Defensor, more

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote:Transformers at Toy Fair starts for me with Ultra freakin' Magnus, complete with Minimus Ambus!
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... 15-182101/
Well crap, now Hasbro have adapted that whole stupid Minimus Ambus idea into the toyline. It was bad enough confined to the books.
And finally, the Constructicons, which are as mixed a bag as it gets, look at some of the individual bot limbs, but are big:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... nt-182100/
I wish I could afford these. In the back of my mind I've always wanted a combiner that was genuinely huge in combined form. We finally have one, and I just can't see spending $150 for it all at once. Sigh.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I hadn't heard about the Minimus stuff until today, but sounds fine to me. I mean, Magnus has always kind of been a big suit of armor anyway, so having a little car dude be inside it instead of a white Prime doesn't bother me any. And I am hyped for this toy. He looks so good.

Defensor..look, if i have to buy five or six toys for every one of these Combiners i like this is going to be an expensive year for this hobby. But he looks great, too.

And another one. I love the idea of Galvatron being a combiner now and Cyclonus forming his body. It's just goofy enough to be brilliant. It'll be a lot cooler if he has his own gang to be the limbs, though. Even if it's just repaints/retools of some other guys.

And man, Devastator looks really good, but I feel like I'd have a hard time justifying spending 150 dollar toy purchase all at once. At least when it's in smaller increments I have the illusion that I'm not blowing tons of money on these things. I wonder if they'll get repainted or retooled and released separately later. Maybe, somehow, as the Build Team as an interesting reversal?
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

138 Scourge wrote:I hadn't heard about the Minimus stuff until today, but sounds fine to me. I mean, Magnus has always kind of been a big suit of armor anyway, so having a little car dude be inside it instead of a white Prime doesn't bother me any. And I am hyped for this toy. He looks so good.
Yeah, that's just me griping about an MTMTE storyline I didn't like. Others are fine with it, so don't let me put you off. :)
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

That's a really nice Magnus. It's interesting to me that Magnus and Megatron are being released as leader sized figs while Prime and Galvatron get combiners, considering Magnus was always portrayed as Galvie's rival in the old toyline, I'd imagine they'd be switched.

I'm very disappointed by the individual robot modes for Devvy. On the fence about picking him up.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

andersonh1 wrote:Well crap, now Hasbro have adapted that whole stupid Minimus Ambus idea into the toyline. It was bad enough confined to the books.
That story was an awesome idea and that toy looks amazing.

Like, holy cats, are we sure that thing's just a Leader? I'm kind of in the same state of quality-disbelief I was when I first saw Springer a couple years ago. Hasbro friggin' nailed that one.

Defensor looks even better than I was expecting. Groove actually forms a really cool chestplate, and new guy Rook looks awesome. Hot Spot looks terrific as well. It's interesting to think it might get retooled into Onslaught later on since, looking at it now, it's so distinctly Hot Spot. Love it. It's a good thing that helicopter mold is so good, since I'm gonna be buying it at least three times, apparently. What are those, though, rescue missiles? Really should've at least remolded them off.

I'd heard scuttlebutt about Cyclonus already, and didn't know what to think. Looking at it now...I'm amazed at what they pulled off, considering it's just a Silverbolt retool. I love the Future Decepticons, this version looks great, and Galvy-Combiner? I'm friggin' in.

I'm laughing so hard about Warpath you have no idea. Looks like my extended forecast was wrong and the sky is not, in fact, falling. Generations Warpath gets to keep on bein' one of the best things ever, and I get to keep bein' happy. Thanks, Hasbro.

Viper is goddamn awesome, it's amazing they've never done that before. Christ, he could even be a troop builder.

Devastator is uneven. On the one hand, I can't help but be a bit disappointed at how simple the 'Voyager' components look. On the other hand, they all still *look* really good. Long Haul, especially, just looks kickass. I'm also rather sad that, of all of them, Scrapper, my most beloved Constructicon, and the one I was most looking forward to getting a new toy of, gets out with no elbows. That's a major bummer, BUT he still LOOKS really good, and looks like a good Scrapper (nice vehicle mode), and it's the first (and hopefully only) new Scrapper in like a bazillion years. And the combined Devastator looks magnificent. I'll take it.

Overall, everything in Combiner Wars looks very nice. As others have said, this is gonna be an expensive rest of the year. But also a very cool, very fun one.

Really, even I'll admit that Defensor stole the show from Devastator, and who coulda seen that coming?!
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I'd imagine that there are some engineering considerations with Devastator and his size that dictated simpler design choices for the individual components. A figure that size is going to be heavy, and they won't want it collapsing under it's own weight.

I've got the original Devastator and it's old and used enough that the last time I assembled the figures the torso didn't take long to start bowing forward and the whole thing eventually fell off. So I'm guessing some of the choices Hasbro engineers made for the new version were meant to keep this new and much larger sturdier than the original.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Guys, guys, I just found something out.

Magnus' guns and missile pods combine to become his bigass hammer.

I like that they're keeping that recent addition to the character a lot. Just a little extra thing to make sure this is the perfect version of the Ultra Magnus.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Good pictures of all the Constructicons: http://toyland.gizmodo.com/the-gigantic ... socialflow
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Bit surprised to see Hasbro incorporated Minimus Ambus with Ultra Magnus. Overall a nice looking figure.

I wasn't expecting Cyclonus to be a combiner. Kind of weird they decided to make his gestalt form Galvatron.. us. Don't like the name.

Defensor and his components looks amazing.

Devastator's components do leave a bit to be desired, but overall I think they still look like decent figures.