Combiner Wars

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by JediTricks »

Seems like you've made your own choice on that Dom, but I'd wait a little longer if I were in your shoes, the spring product shipments are beginning to hit harder now.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

It did, but now they have it on preorder, which means they have more coming.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Finally got Airraid yesterday.

Airraid: fighter plane/robot

Airraid's vehicle mode is set apart from, and above the others by having a working "swing-wing", similar to the F-14 plane that Airraid is clearly based on. This is in addition to the more traditional "flip-wing" that all Aerialbots have. It may not sound like much. But, the movable wings add to both the robot and vehicle mode.

The robot mode and transformation are mostly similar to the others. The legs fold open and re-close when shifting between forms. Airraid's chest is clearly meant to flip out as a connector.

The gun and parts of the legs are shared with Skydive.

Possibly the best Aerialbot other than Powerglide.

Grade: B

Superion looks impressive enough when combined, which is to be expected considering that "Combiner Wars" seems to have prioritized for combined forms rather than individual pieces. Powerglide seems to work best with Superion in robot form, accenting the size of the larger robot.

---------------------------------------------------------

I also got a look at Menasor. Menasor is not as impressive as Superion in combined form. But, the individual figures look better in both robot and vehicle modes. Off-road looks surprisingly good.

Not sure that I will be finishing Menasor. But, the full team is probably worth getting for somebody who is not half out of the hobby.

---------------------------

Megatron:
Saw both out of the package. Only fiddled with the G1 variant.

Solid tank mode. The robot mode is a bit stiff looking. But, that is appropriate for Megatron. On one hand, I am not sure that I want to spend $40 or $50 on Megatron. On the other hand, I can also rationally comprehend customizing both the G1 and Armada Megatron figures.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Air Raid is my second-favorite of the CW Aerialbots after Alpha Bravo for a reason, and it's not just because he's an F-14 Tomcat, there's just something a little better about him. I don't dig the reuse on the weapons though.

Superion is better as a combined bot, while Menasor is much better as individual teammates - it's almost like they planned this. I intend on touching on that in my review soon.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I have the two merge bots on my coffee table and while they're the same height, Menasor seems short in the middle. Like his torso is squat or something. There's almost and SD look to it. It's not too bad just standing, but posed it's really pronounced.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The more I look at and fiddle with Superion, the more I am bothered by the fact that Superion has many of the problems that have become common over the last 3 years.

Superion is better than average relative to what we have been getting since "Prime". But, it still has problems that a toy made in 2015 should not have. It is not bad. But, it is the fittest member of a weight watchers group.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Random thoughts on JT's reviews:

Brakeneck is described as a "spear tip", as is Dragstrip.

The extended profiles for Slingshot (Quickslinger) and Brakeneck (Wildrider) both have reasons for why they were replaced on their teams. (Slingshot is an asshole. Wildrider is a lunatic.)

Over-all, the Stunticon profiles seem too casual in tone to have been written by Soundwave. (Dragstrip's profile is especially bothersome in this regard).

JT, which set do you think is better over-all, allowing for all of the modes, Superion or Menasor?

The sword on the other hand doesn’t really seem to go anywhere nicely, so it just pegs into a hole in the rear.
*snicker*
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:I have the two merge bots on my coffee table and while they're the same height, Menasor seems short in the middle. Like his torso is squat or something. There's almost and SD look to it. It's not too bad just standing, but posed it's really pronounced.
That's how I have mine as well right now, their waists aren't even remotely related to the same areas, Menasor they put all the bulk into the upper body so you have very large chest and shoulders which didn't leave enough for a proper lower torso, requiring his height to be made up of all legs. Certainly though, this isn't the first ridiculously leggy Transformer lately, but usually it's the movie figures that carry the burden.
Dominic wrote:The more I look at and fiddle with Superion, the more I am bothered by the fact that Superion has many of the problems that have become common over the last 3 years.

Superion is better than average relative to what we have been getting since "Prime". But, it still has problems that a toy made in 2015 should not have. It is not bad. But, it is the fittest member of a weight watchers group.
Problems like what? I find that Superion is a fairly satisfying combined figure, but interchanging bits reveals a chest that doesn't want to stay together, and the hips/knees have enough play that he leans back in an odd way.

I don't know that I mind his slim build when compared to the bloat on Menasor's upper body. There's a lot of backpack on Superion that could have been incorporated into the larger bot though.

Dominic wrote:Random thoughts on JT's reviews:

Brakeneck is described as a "spear tip", as is Dragstrip.

The extended profiles for Slingshot (Quickslinger) and Brakeneck (Wildrider) both have reasons for why they were replaced on their teams. (Slingshot is an asshole. Wildrider is a lunatic.)

Over-all, the Stunticon profiles seem too casual in tone to have been written by Soundwave. (Dragstrip's profile is especially bothersome in this regard).
The writing on both the Soundwave and Rung character evals are way inaccurate on tone, but that's why I don't lend too much credence to packaging bios.
JT, which set do you think is better over-all, allowing for all of the modes, Superion or Menasor?
I've been thinking about that a lot since I know it'll be coming up soon for my review (I think I'll review each figure individually and then review both teams at the end) and right now, based on your question of taking all modes into account, I like the Stunticons more, but the problem is that I like Menasor less than Superion. I'd be more inclined to recommend each Stunticon as a purchase based on satisfying bot modes, diverse and exciting alt modes, cooler weapons, and then they do combine but that's the least important factor in my decision. The Aerialbots unfortunately come off as underbaked and repetitive figures individually, lots of simplicity and small issues, even their weapons are dull... all of this precludes Alpha Bravo whom I like a lot more and also has a better hand/foot weapon, but most find him not an Aerialbot in their minds anyway, but I digress... yet the combining element is vastly more satisfying and somewhat more stable. So it depends on what one is looking for, but overall I currently think the Stunticons do indeed hold up better as a set.
The sword on the other hand doesn’t really seem to go anywhere nicely, so it just pegs into a hole in the rear.
*snicker*
Goddamnit, I actually rewrote that to avoid the very thing you caught, but must have accidentally hit ctrl-z on it.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The problems with "Combiner Wars" figures are the issues we have been seeing the last few years. Cheaper plastic, less articulation and the like. (How much better would the Aerialbots look with chest/stomach doors to hide the combiner pegs?)

The writing on both the Soundwave and Rung character evals are way inaccurate on tone, but that's why I don't lend too much credence to packaging bios.
The Autobot profiles written by Rung do not strike me as being so out of place. (Rung is not as formalized as Soundwave has generally been depicted as.)

On another note, it is interesting that Hasbro's in-house profiles contradict the logic from the comics. (No enigma of combination bullshit to be found in thost profiles.) Besides this being one of the few times that I have preferred package bios to other content, this pretty much confirms that Hasbro did not mandate the use of a stupid McGuffin and back-writing.

The Enigma, and its baggage, are apparently on Barber.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

JediTricks wrote:Certainly though, this isn't the first ridiculously leggy Transformer lately, but usually it's the movie figures that carry the burden.
She's got legs... and she knows how to use 'em!