Combiner Wars

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by BWprowl »

JediTricks wrote:I'm sure they renamed it due to the upcoming cartoon, and MTMTE is likely safe, what with Windblade and Primacy not getting a title change.
It's still going to upset my anal-retentiveness since the titles of the two books were meant to go together and now one is just to be the umpteenth comic just called 'The Transformers' that we won't have a proper descriptor for and the other will be sporting an artifact of an incomplete themed title (which was never terribly indicative of the book itself anyway).

It also highlights how stupid it is that they keep using 'Robots in Disguise' as a title for different things (remember it was also the name of TFPrime's toyline!) instead of, I dunno, coming up with something cool and original and descriptive of the series itself. Maybe a series sometime down the road can be called "Transformers: Autobots Wage Their Battles To Destroy The Evil Forces Of The Decepticons".

I still maintain that the books should have been called "Transformers on Cybertron" and "Transformers in Space". Then we'd be getting "Transformers on Earth" now!
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

BWprowl wrote:
JediTricks wrote:I'm sure they renamed it due to the upcoming cartoon, and MTMTE is likely safe, what with Windblade and Primacy not getting a title change.
It's still going to upset my anal-retentiveness since the titles of the two books were meant to go together and now one is just to be the umpteenth comic just called 'The Transformers' that we won't have a proper descriptor for and the other will be sporting an artifact of an incomplete themed title (which was never terribly indicative of the book itself anyway).
Are we sure that the book isn't going to be called "Transformers: Combiner Wars," with various other subtitles throughout its continuing run? Maybe a return back to the Furman -ation era?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Onslaught Six wrote:Are we sure that the book isn't going to be called "Transformers: Combiner Wars," with various other subtitles throughout its continuing run? Maybe a return back to the Furman -ation era?
According to IDW's SDCC press release, Combiner Wars is going to be an event story-arc, like Dark Cybertron was, split between issues #39-41 of the Transformers (formerly RiD) and a new 3-part Windblade mini-series.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Sparky Prime wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote:Are we sure that the book isn't going to be called "Transformers: Combiner Wars," with various other subtitles throughout its continuing run? Maybe a return back to the Furman -ation era?
According to IDW's SDCC press release, Combiner Wars is going to be an event story-arc, like Dark Cybertron was, split between issues #39-41 of the Transformers (formerly RiD) and a new 3-part Windblade mini-series.
Hasbro biggest problem/failure is the marketing of the TF toy lines,Combiners wars is a new example of this. Clearly Combiners wars is hasbro's best 2015 TF toy line but sadly it gets no cartoon series with 52+ episodes on the hub network. Meanwhile the TF toy line in 2015 most know will perform badly in stores called: 2015 Rid is getting a full blown cartoon series on the hub.

Kids from the ages of 3 to 12 are not buying the IDW TF comics, So sorry it's a failure marketing attemp "ONLY' to have a IDW TF Combiners wars comic series.

If Hasbro really cared about maximizing their profits to the roof for their best TF toy line in 2015 called combiners wars. They would have marketited it better. Like doing a combiners wars video game on all consoles, Combiner wars cartoon series on the hub and WB networks. Doing a combiners wars IDW TF comic series.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Tigermegatron wrote:Hasbro biggest problem/failure is the marketing of the TF toy line,Combiners wars is a new example of this. Clearly Combiners wars is hasbro's best 2015 TF toy line but sadly it gets no cartoon series with 52+ episodes on the hub network. Meanwhile the TF toy line in 2015 most know will perform badly in stores called: 2015 Rid is getting a full blown cartoon series on the hub.
Combiner Wars is a sub-line of the Generations toy line, and seeing as the CHUG series have never really had much marketing from Hasbro, I'm guessing they don't feel it really needs it as much. Those figures are aimed more for the older audiences and collectors which seems to make a bit of a difference. Also, don't really think we can gauge how the new RID series will perform when it is so early yet and we have yet to see much of it thus far.
Kids from the ages of 3 to 12 are not buying the IDW TF comics, So sorry it's a failure marketing attemp "ONLY' to have a IDW TF Combiners wars comic series.
The Combiner Wars storyline will be packed-in with the deluxe figures, just like Dark Cybertron was. So everyone that buys the toys will get the comic either way. Kinda seems to me like they're actually trying to market the comics more so than the toys.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Tigermegatron wrote:Hasbro biggest problem/failure is the marketing of the TF toy line,Combiners wars is a new example of this. Clearly Combiners wars is hasbro's best 2015 TF toy line but sadly it gets no cartoon series with 52+ episodes on the hub network. Meanwhile the TF toy line in 2015 most know will perform badly in stores called: 2015 Rid is getting a full blown cartoon series on the hub.
First off, I'm impressed that you already know the Combiner Wars toys will definitely be better than the RID15 toys, despite all we have of either of them so far being painted mock-ups based on resin prototypes.

Second off, Generations, including the Combiner Wars portion, already got a long-running cartoon to tie into it. It was called 'The Transformers' and it came out in 1984.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

BWprowl wrote: First off, I'm impressed that you already know the Combiner Wars toys will definitely be better than the RID15 toys, despite all we have of either of them so far being painted mock-ups based on resin prototypes.
The 2015 Rid toys are being designed in the Toddler friendly aesthetics of the TFA, TFP, BH & Rescue Bots toys. So their bound to look like garbage and be TF toys not worth the plastic their being created from.
BWprowl wrote: Second off, Generations, including the Combiner Wars portion, already got a long-running cartoon to tie into it. It was called 'The Transformers' and it came out in 1984.
Hasbro tried your strategy in 1992 with that cyber-cube G-1-G-2 Cartoon & it failed. The G-2 toys failed in toy sales as a result of that G-2 cartoon not being able to advertise the G-2 toys succesfully.

Hasbro estimates that kids with parents make up more than 95% of the TF toy sales world wide. These kids with parents need to see a full blown newer 2015 TF cartoon series that advertises the toys,so they buy them.

Once again, bad marketing by Hasbro. Wanting to do a newer cartoon for the more inferior 2015 RID toy line. And not wanting to do a newer 2015 TF cartoon for the more superior Combiners wars toy line Is Hasbro employee incompetence at it's all time highest.

Hasbro can blame the bad economy all they want for bad TF toy sales. But they are dead wrong, It's the inferior main and side lines TF toys they have been creating for the past few years that have made buyers lose interest in the TF toy lines.
Last edited by Tigermegatron on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

BWprowl wrote:First off, I'm impressed that you already know the Combiner Wars toys will definitely be better than the RID15 toys, despite all we have of either of them so far being painted mock-ups based on resin prototypes.
I dunno, Menasor and Superion at SDCC looked like production models. Production models held together with hot glue, but still production models.
Second off, Generations, including the Combiner Wars portion, already got a long-running cartoon to tie into it. It was called 'The Transformers' and it came out in 1984.
Snap!
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Maybe the change will reinvigorate the book. Here's hoping.
Unlikely, this sounds like it may well be a return to the way things were, with Autobots v/s Decepticons. "Robots in Disguise" is shambling in that direction as it is now.

Close, but not quite.

Hasbro made an attempt to market the comics and bring in kids last year. Remember, that is what "Dark Cybertron" was supposed to do. But, Hasbro botched the distribution on those toys so badly that any kid who was getting in to the comics through the toys (maybe even buying the toys to get the next comic) got a hard lesson in distribution failures and in not being able to get the next comic (which is an obstacle for many kids getting in to comics).

There is nothing wrong with using comics to market toys (or vice versa). But, Hasbro screwed it up. (So, yes, it is a failure. But, it is a more fundamental failure than what Tiger is pointing out.)

Hasbro can blame the bad economy all they want for bad TF toy sales. But they are dead wrong, It's the inferior main and side lines TF toys they have been creating for the past few years that have made buyers lose interest in the TF toy lines.
This. And, not actually distributing the toys only makes it worse.

They would have marketited it better. Like doing a combiners wars video game on all consoles,
I recall an article that quoted one of the game developers saying that combiners were difficult to do in multi-player games.

Ah, deliberately mis-understanding the question and mis-framing the answer.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:
Ah, deliberately mis-understanding the question and mis-framing the answer.
Are you denying that a large part of the selling point of the Generations toys is "new toys of the G1 guys from the cartoon"? Why do you think more people are excited about the new Superion and Menasor toys? Because of a potential comic book storyline that doesn't even exist yet, or because they're the guys from the 80's cartoon? Be honest, now.

Hasbro's rerunning the Sunbow cartoon on The Hub, aren't they? Surely if that cartoon was good enough then to make everyone as single-mindedly crazy for these Geewun characters as they are, it should be good enough now.

Also find it curious that Tiggs seems to be dismissing RID15 as a cartoon despite it being a sequel to TFPrime, which he was an admitted fan of.