Combiner Wars

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by JediTricks »

Sparky Prime wrote:I finally found Air Raid today, so my Superion is finally completed (unless I get "Quickslinger" when he's eventually released but I'm undecided). Can't believe how hard the second wave (save for Silverbolt and Motormaster) has been to find.
Quickslinger has been out since May 22nd, or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

The deluxes for wave 2 are starting to hit Target here in decent number finally.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:Quickslinger has been out since May 22nd, or am I misunderstanding what you mean?
He is? Let me see... Oh, he's an online exclusive figure. I thought he was going to be released in stores.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

SDCC news showed off CW Victorion and G2 Superion boxed set this morning, and right now I just heard from a friend that the panel announced G2 Menasor boxed set as well.

Too bad about Victorion's harsh teal and red coloring.

Silverbolt is getting remolded as Scattorshot, but no other Technobots, so he's forming "Betatron" with random limbs.

Combiner Wars getting animated content from Machinima.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

If the Superion includes Slingshot (or renames Alpha as Slingshot), I will be in. Similarly, I might be in for a G2 Menasor if it includes Wildrider instead of Offroad (even if only in name). Nothing against Alpha or Offroad, but I would want the old characters for a G2 themed set.

(How are they going to handle Powerglide and Blackjack in the recolour sets?)

The G1 Platinum editions would be more enticing if not for the prices. The Encore sets were better (replacing stickers with paint when possible), and were cheaper. The moulds are 30+ years old. No reason for them to be so expensive. (The Insecticons are $80+, nearly triple what they were in 2010.)
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Superion includes Quickslinger/Slingshot rather than Alpha Bravo. Powerglide is gray with red, reminds me a little of TF Universe release but more gray.

I think the Platinum Edition molds may require maintenance to get back up to production shape. The rest is sucker tax, I guess.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

JediTricks wrote:SDCC news showed off CW Victorion and G2 Superion boxed set this morning, and right now I just heard from a friend that the panel announced G2 Menasor boxed set as well.

Too bad about Victorion's harsh teal and red coloring.

Silverbolt is getting remolded as Scattorshot, but no other Technobots, so he's forming "Betatron" with random limbs.

Combiner Wars getting animated content from Machinima.
Jesus Christ is Victorion bad. I mean it's fucking atrocious. I guess they used two of the same figures for the legs so that they could give her high-heel combiner feet because how else are we supposed to know it's a fembot, right? I do like her weapon, though.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Almighty Unicron wrote:Jesus Christ is Victorion bad. I mean it's fucking atrocious. I guess they used two of the same figures for the legs so that they could give her high-heel combiner feet because how else are we supposed to know it's a fembot, right? I do like her weapon, though.
The feet are interchangeable pieces, they have nothing to do with the leg choices. They gave the fans the choice of what vehicle to use for both legs, and those fans chose helicopters.

The colors are really hard to get past, I'm hoping that's just pre-production issues.

One of the heads for the cars is based on Nightbird.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:Too bad about Victorion's harsh teal and red coloring.
Yeah, the colors are really terrible. It's kinda interesting having a combiner with a matching color scheme but... Not those colors.

The individual weapons that combine into a sword is really cool though. Sadly I think that's probably the best thing about the figure.
Silverbolt is getting remolded as Scattorshot, but no other Technobots, so he's forming "Betatron" with random limbs..
Disappointing they won't be giving Scattorshot the other Technobots, or even a new combiner head for 'Betatron'. Just looks like a red Superion with random limbs.

Can't say I care for the G2 repaints of Superion and Menasor. Just never been a fan of the G2 colors.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

JediTricks wrote:
Almighty Unicron wrote:Jesus Christ is Victorion bad. I mean it's fucking atrocious. I guess they used two of the same figures for the legs so that they could give her high-heel combiner feet because how else are we supposed to know it's a fembot, right? I do like her weapon, though.
The feet are interchangeable pieces, they have nothing to do with the leg choices. They gave the fans the choice of what vehicle to use for both legs, and those fans chose helicopters.

The colors are really hard to get past, I'm hoping that's just pre-production issues.

One of the heads for the cars is based on Nightbird.
I just don't get why they need to have two of the same mold for limbs. They already have the molds! Why not give her something else like literally every other combiner?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Hasbro sent out the official images of the products they revealed today:
http://www.tfviews.com/news/main/3010

There are a few images missing, I've let them know and they'll have them up later, so I'll update when they're posted.

Sparky Prime wrote:Yeah, the colors are really terrible. It's kinda interesting having a combiner with a matching color scheme but... Not those colors.
I can only hope that this is a case of pre-production looking different from final model, but honestly the art says this is it and it's not working. I do agree that matchy-matchy combiner is an interesting idea, and I applaud them for giving each figure a unique head sculpt.
The individual weapons that combine into a sword is really cool though. Sadly I think that's probably the best thing about the figure.
They also gave it side-hinged feet, which is nice since flat-footed poses are more stable than edge-footed the way the regular figures are now. And they gave it real hands. But that sword combo is definitely the thing I locked onto fastest.
Disappointing they won't be giving Scattorshot the other Technobots, or even a new combiner head for 'Betatron'. Just looks like a red Superion with random limbs.
They didn't mention the other Technobots, they won't be coming when Scattorshot is released, but I suppose they could be planning them down the road. I wouldn't count on that though.

Betatron has a slightly new head, there's fins coming off either side.
Can't say I care for the G2 repaints of Superion and Menasor. Just never been a fan of the G2 colors.
Me either, although Superion doesn't look that bad.

AU wrote:I just don't get why they need to have two of the same mold for limbs. They already have the molds! Why not give her something else like literally every other combiner?
Were I to hazard a guess, they wanted voting to be easy so they offered pairs of an idea. It's not like it would have cost them one red cent to use different molds they already have, after all. And they only have 1 mold for a helicopter.