Combiner Wars

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by Shockwave »

I'm liking what I see on Devastator so far. I'm in.

Also, I dug out the little Roller thing that came with Legends Prime and stuck him with CW Prime. God Damn Hasbro can't do anything right. How dare they not release Roller in the same shade of blue as CW Prime when they knew damned well they were going to do that? The level of incompetence this shows is ridiculous and staggering. Staggeringly ridiculous. Of course, as soon as I plugged weapon mode Roller into Prime's hand, the contrasting shades of blue reacted with each other creating a blue hole, similar to a black hole, but instead of sucking everything into it, it just sucks everything awesome out of the figures that were put together, leaving a pile of ass on my desk.

Actually, while the shades are different, it's actually pretty cool since, with the way Prime's weapons store in vehicle mode, you can actually plug Roller onto the back of alt mode Prime and now he's got a little Roller unit to go with him and gives extra firepower in bot mode.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The Devastator looks promising. But, considering that I did not see Metroplex at retail, I doubt that I will be picking up Devastator.

I really hope that Devastator and the rumoured Computron do not signal a wave of mass-raisings in the IDW comics.

TFs have always had flexible death. But, at this point. IDW "Transformers" comics are becoming generic enough that a wave of characters just coming back would be a stumble too far.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:The Devastator looks promising. But, considering that I did not see Metroplex at retail, I doubt that I will be picking up Devastator.
Is online ordering not an option for you?
I really hope that Devastator and the rumoured Computron do not signal a wave of mass-raisings in the IDW comics.
Did one of the Technobots get offed in the comics? I can't remember.

At any rate, my original point about the idea that Devastator *might* signal such a thing happening was Alpha Bravo showing up in the comics to replace a deceased Slingshot. But then Hasbro went and said they were making Slingshot (and Wildrider) anyway, so who knows?

Incidentally, we're also getting a 'new' Protectobot on that team in an as-yet-unseen guy named Rook, but in that case it's because Groove is getting downgraded to the Legends class for that team, for some semblance of scale.
TFs have always had flexible death. But, at this point. IDW "Transformers" comics are becoming generic enough that a wave of characters just coming back would be a stumble too far.
I find it funny how monkey-pawed your wish to have the comics and toys match up has turned out for you.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

BWprowl wrote:
Did one of the Technobots get offed in the comics? I can't remember.
Nosecone was killed by the Sweeps as they took over the Kimia Facility during the Chaos storyline, and both Lightspeed and Afterburner were last seen sacrificing themselves to blow it up to stop it from firing on Cybertron.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

But then Hasbro went and said they were making Slingshot (and Wildrider) anyway, so who knows?
When was this? Are you sure you're not mixing it up with Takara's?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Onslaught Six wrote:
But then Hasbro went and said they were making Slingshot (and Wildrider) anyway, so who knows?
When was this? Are you sure you're not mixing it up with Takara's?
Nope:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... er-181900/
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

RRRRRRHHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!

Ok, at one point just about everyone here has asked why I don't just order stuff online. Well now I know why. Because it's just as much of a pain in the ass as trying to find shit in store. So, it's been a month since the fiasco with BBTS and I've heard nothing from them since they said they were waiting for FedEx. So, in the meantime, because I still want these things and they were cheaper on Hasbro Toy Shop website (and with free shipping), I decided to go ahead and order from there. So everything was going fine, I got the usual emails with tracking numbers and what have you. Oh, they also shipped through FedEx. More on that in a moment. So I click the tracking link in the email and it says "estimated delivery 2/11/2015". Spiffy. Well, I check it yesterday, it's in Salt Lake City, UT. Ok, nothing unusual. Then I check today and... it's still fucking there. Ok, now I'm wondering what the fuck? Now FedEx can't even get it to fucking Sacramento?! Oh and now it says "No estimated delivery date". Remember that scene in Transformers: The Movie where Galvatron has the Matrix and says "Unicron, with this I shall make you my slave!" And then Unicron just yells with rage? Yeah, I'm having my Unicron moment now. Just picture that, and that's how I'm feeling.

Oh, and I am absolutely NOT having anything shipped through FedEx EVER again. Fuck those guys. Fuck 'em hard.

EDIT: Just checked again, and apparently it JUST NOW arrived here in Sacramento. But somehow the updated delivery date is 2/13/2015. Seriously, it's going to take two days to get across town? FedEx sucks.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Man, you gotta chill out with that. Online ordering takes time, dude! You can't think of it like, "Give me my thing now!" You have to be more like, "Oh hey, a present showed up in the mail! A present from me, to myself!"

Anyway, I opened Skydive instead of Alpha Bravo. He is funner than you think! Everyone has been bemoaning the lack of articulation in these guys, but I'm not finding it so much. The main things he'd be "missing" are wrists and ankles; the ankles aren't really necessary for how surprisingly solid he is, and the wrists aren't wholly necessary for the way his arms are sculpted. It's not like the AOE Dinobots where they were all sidewaysy and it was harder to pose; these are traditional elbow hinges with properly-facing 5mm peghands. So that's cool! The big chest pivot thing and the slightly-hollow back thing don't bother me because things like that have never bothered me. The chest bit looks fine in robot mode and doesn't detract from the look of him very much at all. It certainly looks better than it did on the G1 toys, and those were still being passed off as standard 15 years ago in RID.

Transofmution has more going on than you'd think; I like the way his legs open up and fold around his thighs and body, an unexpected surprise after the way the FOC Combaticons mostly folded up and slid in in shitty ways! The shoulder assemblies folding down in a nifty little way to better hide the arms in vehicle mode is also cool.

Jet mode's a Transformers jet. Legs hide better than most, arms are blatantly hanging from it because what the fuck else you gonna do, eh?

Worst things: Hangy arms in vehicle suck, and I don't like how his legs don't properly snap together in robot mode.

Then there's the limb modes, which I can't properly judge because I don't have a torso. But I can review the hand gun foot thing! It's pretty solid for what it is. I like the peghole for the gun on top of the hand, genius stuff.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

What Six said, Shock. Man, try ordering something from Japan using SAL sometime, and watch in amazement as your toys sit outbound for 1-2 weeks waiting for room on a plane to open up.

I do kinda wonder if you just live in a place with a tricky ZIP code or something, though.
Onslaught Six wrote:and I don't like how his legs don't properly snap together in robot mode.
Eh? The legs *should* peg together in robot mode. There are pegs on the backs of the knee joints that go into slots inside the back leg panels. You've gotta manually line the joints up a bit to get them in there, but they work.

I generally like the foldy leg transformations these things are using. A bit more satisfying than the sliders so many previous toys (and CW Drag Strip) used instead.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I don't mind waiting an appropriate time for things to get here as long as they stick to the expectation. BBTS did get the package to my house but some fucker stole it and the POSSIBLE replacement has been in limbo for like almost a month now. In the end, I want the figures, not the money, so having found them cheaper elsewhere, I just went ahead and bought them because at least I could enjoy them from somewhere while waiting for BBTS to do whatever it is they're going to do. Well, yesterday was consistently listed as the expected arrival date and now it's been delayed. Had this happened by itself and this was my only order for this thing, I probably wouldn't be upset, but between the one shipment being stolen and another being delayed it just feels like the universe is going out of it's way to prevent me from getting these things. It's collectively frustrating, that's all.