Combiner Wars

The IDW Comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's now significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade.
User avatar
JediTricks
Site Admin
Posts: 3731
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: LA, CA, USA

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by JediTricks »

BWprowl wrote:See, I can't imagine being this fickle. Did your tastes in kids' action figures really become that much more refined in so few years? Three years from now, are you going to be bitching hardcore about how HOLY SHIT DO THESE OLD GUYS SUCK Generations Warpath and Springer and Leader Megatron are and demanding that we get new versions to fix all their obvious flaws?
Wow, you shock me with your standard reply that never ever changes or even considers that somebody might have had a different opinion from you. This is my shocked face --> :roll: If you look back, I never gave much praise to either figure, they were barely-adequate placeholders for their time but never outstanding in my view. Why don't you tell us all about how great another old turd of a figure is and how improvements are suckers? No matter than those figures are NINE FUCKING YEARS OLD, that there are TF fans younger than those things.

And Springer isn't flawless, that's for sure.

Dom wrote:I hear that the wave two limb figures come with comics and full page character profiles that the wave one figures lacked. But, that is (apparently) okay because the first wave figures are being re-released with the comics and profiles. If somebody wants a complete and consistent set, they only need to buy the first four figures again.
Or, you know, don't do that, because who fucking collects these for the mint-in-package experience? They make tens of thousands of each. The comics most dedicated fans already own anyway, they're only original insomuch as they have unique covers and shitty glue binding.
Yikes.

Not sure I would agree that 2006 Jetfire sucks. It has problems. But, it is no worse (I would argue better) than the new Jetfire. I was never as enthusiastic about it as some people. I noticed the flaws in '06, so they are not "new" to me now. Maybe that is why I am not as bothered.
Yeah, it's worse, it's way worse. "Details? Nah, why bother" seems to be the way they looked at that design. The transformation is painfully lazy, the limbs are a bit puffy and marshmallowy, and the articulation is headscratchingly confusing in choices. The single thing it gets right better than Gen Jetfire is the rear landing gear folding in. If I sell any figures, that one is first and the root cause of why I changed my tune on selling my figures. The flaws aren't new to me either, just the realization that I didn't mind it being in storage for 4 years, and yet I'm surprisingly content with the new figure despite its flaws.
Megatron's colours are terrible. And, while the new figure is probably an improvement, I am not sure that the older figure is now that much worse than it was in '06.
Again, I left it in storage without caring about it, it's more a curiosity than it is an acceptable Megatron in my book. Yet I still am stymied by the absence of my WFC Megatron which is with my missing Drift figure from my old desk, I think about that (it's in 1 of 24 unpacked boxes, like a very dusty Deal or No Deal) regularly.
Image
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?

User avatar
Dominic
Supreme-Class
Posts: 9118
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by Dominic »

Or, you know, don't do that, because who fucking collects these for the mint-in-package experience? They make tens of thousands of each. The comics most dedicated fans already own anyway, they're only original insomuch as they have unique covers and shitty glue binding.
The comics also have source-book style character profiles.

User avatar
BWprowl
Supreme-Class
Posts: 4145
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:15 pm
Location: Shelfwarming, because of Shellforming
Contact:

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by BWprowl »

JediTricks wrote:Wow, you shock me with your standard reply that never ever changes or even considers that somebody might have had a different opinion from you. This is my shocked face --> :roll:
Meanwhile, I am TOTALLY SHOCKED at how excited you are to tell us how much you think something sucks! Do you go into ANYTHING expecting to enjoy it, or are you just looking to be able to pick apart and insult the perceived flaws wherever you can find?
If you look back, I never gave much praise to either figure, they were barely-adequate placeholders for their time but never outstanding in my view. Why don't you tell us all about how great another old turd of a figure is and how improvements are suckers? No matter than those figures are NINE FUCKING YEARS OLD, that there are TF fans younger than those things.
Right, the nine-year-rule! I forgot that once a toy hits a certain age, everything good about it suddenly dries up and it becomes incapable of being cool! I'd ask why you haven't yet sold off all your toys from before 2006 yet, but obviously it's because no one would buy those shitty things anymore!
And Springer isn't flawless, that's for sure.
Yeah, he isn't perfect and therefore we need a BRAND NEW ONE.
The flaws aren't new to me either, just the realization that I didn't mind it being in storage for 4 years, and yet I'm surprisingly content with the new figure despite its flaws.
You say you're content now, but can you confirm you won't be howling about what an affront to taste it is four years from now?
Image

User avatar
JediTricks
Site Admin
Posts: 3731
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: LA, CA, USA

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:
Or, you know, don't do that, because who fucking collects these for the mint-in-package experience? They make tens of thousands of each. The comics most dedicated fans already own anyway, they're only original insomuch as they have unique covers and shitty glue binding.
The comics also have source-book style character profiles.
Yup, can't read those online anywhere.

Prowl wrote:Meanwhile, I am TOTALLY SHOCKED at how excited you are to tell us how much you think something sucks! Do you go into ANYTHING expecting to enjoy it, or are you just looking to be able to pick apart and insult the perceived flaws wherever you can find?
You got me, I didn't give positive reaction to the last few Transformers and Star Wars figures I picked up, nope. This is why having I'm going back to not conversing with you, there's no way to have a meaningful conversation because you write your own worldscript to suit your viewpoints, one that isn't reliant on reality. I'm not paying to run this site so you can sit here and shit on everything everybody else says while rewriting every situation to suit your viewpoint.
Image
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?

User avatar
Dominic
Supreme-Class
Posts: 9118
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by Dominic »

I want to own legitimate hard-copies of the profiles in a consistent format. Why is that so unreasonable?

User avatar
JediTricks
Site Admin
Posts: 3731
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: LA, CA, USA

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:I want to own legitimate hard-copies of the profiles in a consistent format. Why is that so unreasonable?
Because you're complaining about needing to buy another set of figures simply to own something that costs next to nothing, is packaging materials, and you could own for free in digital format or even reprint for pennies. You see them re-releasing the content as forcing you to spend another $60+ for something entirely worthless that doesn't affect the actual toy inside the packaging at all, when it doesn't seem like Hasbro is trying to con you into actually buying the product again.
Image
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?

User avatar
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class
Posts: 7022
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:49 am
Location: In front of my computer.
Contact:

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by Onslaught Six »

Why is Dom obsessed with owning hard copies of the profiles? I don't...who the fuck cares? Shit, the only guy you'll ever display is Superion, and if you say otherwise you're a God damn liar.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Image

User avatar
Dominic
Supreme-Class
Posts: 9118
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by Dominic »

I am hearing that Menasor is actually better in component modes.

Why is Dom obsessed with owning hard copies of the profiles?
If none had the profiles, I would be fine with it. But, I want stuff like that to be as consistent as possible. If nothing else, sourcebook entries are good reference material. And, I dislike using digital copies. A hardware failure can either destroy data, or at least deny me access to it. (Never mind the hazards of cloud storage. I pity anybody who was using MysSpace as their main archive. That stuff is gone.)



Blackjack:
As has been the case with "Combiner Wars" thus far, the "Legends" scale is offering the best toys. Looks good in both modes. Acceptable articulation (allowing for scale). My copy sticks to Menasor's chest a little better than some have been reported. But, this is probably a quality control issue that worked out in my favour. Similar to Powerglide in that it is worth getting even without planning to make the whole combiner.

The car mode, especially given the way the gun connects, almost make me want to buy the upcoming Rodimus retool.

Grade: A

User avatar
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class
Posts: 7022
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:49 am
Location: In front of my computer.
Contact:

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dom...it's on the Internet. You own a smartphone. I can literally look up, in ten seconds, not only the character profile of every Aerialbot, but a chronicling of every single cartoon and comic book appearance of every single one of them. In seconds. With the right phone, you can literally open your mouth and ASK for it.

If there is a catastrophic failure on the scale of being unable to access the Internet because it's fucking gone, the back of comic profiles on the fucking Aerialbots (THE SINGLE MOST BORING COMBINER TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE LINE) is the very least of your problems.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Image

User avatar
Dominic
Supreme-Class
Posts: 9118
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by Dominic »

The problem with cloud storage (essentially the thing you are talking about) is that I do not *own* the copies of the stupid content in question. It can go away at any time if the hosts decide to use the server differently. (Never mind that I do not like the look of that stuff on screen.)
he fucking Aerialbots (THE SINGLE MOST BORING COMBINER TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE LINE)
Hold on, wait a second....yeah. Okay.

Post Reply