Combiner Wars

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Even I can't complain about the new Gestalts

Post by Sparky Prime »

BWprowl wrote:Thing is, Hasbro's had copyright troubles before, so why aren't these guys just "Autobot Sling" and "Decepticon Wild Ride" or something along those lines, to say nothing of them also just happening to be the only ones with completely different vehicle modes from their old versions?
I remember shortly before Turbo Tracks was released a couple years ago, I think it was at Botcon, one of the Hasbro reps explained they didn't use "Autobot Tracks" for the figure in order to mix things up a bit because they didn't want to use Autobot or Decepticon as a prefix for everything they couldn't trademark. Or they've changed up the names of some characters, Trailcutter instead of Trailbreaker for example. Really wouldn't surprise me if they came up with these names for trademark reasons.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

I was pleasantly surprised to see 4 deluxes & 1 voyager get used for each 2015 combiner team. Like the sculpts, sizes, colors, alt modes, poseabilty & articulation on these toys.

Think Hasbro used that Rescue helicopter for 2015 superion,So they could recolor it and reuse it later for 2015 Protectobots Blades. Speculating that Pick up truck for Menasor was used so it could get easily repainted another upcoming combiner team member, maybe Combaticons Swindle or Liokaiser or?

Guessing wave 3 is the Protectobots Defensor. While wave 4 i'm guessing will be the 1986 Predacons Predaking. With waves 5 & 6 in late 2015 early 2016 being computron & abonimus.

Knowing Hasbro Waves 3,4,5 & 6 won't have Five brand new molds per team. Instead some team members will be recolors & remolds previous waves team members for Defensor,Technobots, Bruticus & maybe Liokaiser. with some new molds put in each team.

I can easily see Hasbro doing this scenario for 2015 Defensor. Use a Stunticon sports car-bot for Protectobots Streetwise. Use that 2015 Rescue helicopter for Blades. Then maybe creating 2 or 3 brand new molds for 2015 Defensor.

Speculating 2015 to 2016 Computron will all old molds from previous waves of combiners. With Maybe Voyager Scattershot being a new mold or extensive remolds using Silverbolt, Like 30th Sandstorm was.

Liokaiser probably won't have a new mold on the team. With possible added breatplate animal-targetmaster with minicon ports. With the bigger toys getting remolded minicon ports on them.

Don't think Hasbro will make another Newer molds combaticons until 2017. As FOC Bruticus is still relatively new.

After so many countless failed attemps. Don't think Hasbro will bother doing constructicons Devastator for this toy line. As the toy tech is not their yet to have a homage toy merge like the 1985 toy did.

Clearly the 2015-2017,Combiners Wars should have got the newer 2015 TF cartoon series not this Bumblebee Rid cartoon or another season of Rescuebots.If I had my way their would be 4 to 6 combiner teams in this newer 2015, Combiner wars cartoon series with metroplex and Trypticon as the factions leaders.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

BWprowl wrote:
Shockwave wrote:The official images are up at TFW. Alpha-Bravo is Slingshot (albeit a helicopter instead of a harrier) and Off-Road is Wildrider.
I still disagree with this and think TFW is just slapping the previous guys' names on there to make people feel comfortable. I can kinda see some Slingshot influence in Alpha Bravo, but Offroad really doesn't look a thing like Wildrider aside from the vehicle mode color scheme (he doesn't even have a red face!). Thing is, Hasbro's had copyright troubles before, so why aren't these guys just "Autobot Sling" and "Decepticon Wild Ride" or something along those lines, to say nothing of them also just happening to be the only ones with completely different vehicle modes from their old versions? Whatever the case, they're gonna be new guys to me, with Alpha Bravo naturally being an over-the-top Autobot analogue to Johnny Bravo.

Looking good though, I'm amazed that a new color scheme and remolded head/chest on Motormaster are all it takes to make that mold work. Also liking the Legends interaction more and more, especially seeing how nice a little guy Blackjack looks to be (and he's another new guy! EDIT: Never mind I'm an idiot he's based on an existing Micromaster). One thing I'm not lovin' is that these are all apparently going to be released across two different waves, which would be an astoundingly bad idea had I not already just resigned myself to pre-ordering them through BBTS or something.

The other sad part is that the official pics clearly being hand-painted resin prototypes means the actual release of these things is probably still a long ways off.

If this Combiner Wars thing is going to be an ongoing sublineamajig, how much money do I have to throw at Hasbro to hope they get to Monstructor? Liokaiser is also acceptable.
Yeah, the referrences are pretty heavily carried in certain modes, in the case of not-Slingshot, the robot mode is clearly based on the G1 animation model. Also, did you ever see the G1 cartoon? The episode "Forever is a Long Time Coming", because an over the top Johnny Bravo type pretty much sums up G1 Slingshot. Not Wildrider is largely carried on his vehicle mode as you said.

I also agree with pretty much everything else you said, especially the release plan, which practically guarantees that I will not be getting these. The likely hood of finding all five of either in one place is going to be minimal, and that's if they even make it here at all and don't just wind up like everything else we never get here (skids, Waspinator, MP-10 Prime in either version, MP Grimlock, Swerve, Cosmos, the list goes on and on).
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Shockwave wrote:I also agree with pretty much everything else you said, especially the release plan, which practically guarantees that I will not be getting these. The likely hood of finding all five of either in one place is going to be minimal, and that's if they even make it here at all and don't just wind up like everything else we never get here (skids, Waspinator, MP-10 Prime in either version, MP Grimlock, Swerve, Cosmos, the list goes on and on).
I saw Skids, Waspinator, and the initial release of MP Grimlock over here (and I'm just a few hours away from you). I am sore about missing out on MP-10 though. That's just the way it goes with distribution though. It took me YEARS to finally get a Classics Devastator since my Wal-Mart never carried it.

For what it's worth, I did see all the FoC Combaticons AND Wreckers on shelves multiple times, so that kinda mitigates the negative possibilities that could befall these new things. It's still a crapshoot though.

Anyway, this is why the internet exists! Really, if I can jump on pre-orders of Japanese Power Rangers and Revoltech Schoolgirls, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to get off my ass when BBTS sends out the call for pre-orders on these gestalts and scoop them up that way. Plus then I get a big box of combinery goodness all at once when they ship out! Box days are fun.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Wow, I can't even beleive these are real things that are happening. The Stunticons look great! I do sort of wish Wildrider was still in the group because he was my favorite of the old gang, but I can get over that pretty easily. Offroad looks neat anyway, and the other dudes just look amazing. I'm sold on these five.

Huh, and they have Superion, too. Well, whatever. Actually, the copter guy looks good there.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

BWprowl wrote:I am sore about missing out on MP-10 though. That's just the way it goes with distribution though.
See I was thinking about this recently and this is the part that really bugs me about your "MP-10 should be the end all be all G1 Prime" argument. Because really, if you think about it, you're right, it really should be. It's of a decent enough size and scale and detail that one should be able to get that and have it be THE G1 Prime for any collection. But the shitty distribution is what makes it impossible. Well that and Hasbro not making it in large enough quantities for everyone to get. I was even somewhat miffed about YOTH Prime. It still kind of burns my ass to walk into TRU and see fifty YOTH Starscreams sitting there shelfwarming while Prime doesn't even have the price tag on the shelf. WTF? Really. I did actually wind up seeing all of Ruination at Target once. Once. The only time I saw a complete Bruticus was when TRU had the two pack with Grimlock. So yeah, I expect to be completely screwed for this.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Shockwave wrote:See I was thinking about this recently and this is the part that really bugs me about your "MP-10 should be the end all be all G1 Prime" argument. Because really, if you think about it, you're right, it really should be. It's of a decent enough size and scale and detail that one should be able to get that and have it be THE G1 Prime for any collection. But the shitty distribution is what makes it impossible. Well that and Hasbro not making it in large enough quantities for everyone to get.
Getting ahold of MP-10 in his home country was presumably easier, especially with Japan's widespread pre-order systems (had I been a richer man way back when that toy first came out, 'swhat I would've done). Afterwards, well, he had his release, and there's always eBay (we in the pre-order-only import toy biz call it the "You Missed Out Tax" for a reason). I could actually probably afford one that way now. I should check.

Hasbro did drop the ball on getting enough out to TRU and keeping them there though. I almost don't blame them, they've always had trouble getting the MPs to catch on over here. Some, like Skywarp, just plum didn't sell, which made retailers like Wal-Mart go off them, so only TRU will take them now.

But the thing is, it's not the toy's fault that it's the best version of a given character and just can't be found anymore. I wanted SHF Kamen Rider W because that's the best figure of the character that will ever exist, but I came into the SHF line way after it had come and gone, so I just went ahead and bought it aftermarket at a convention. It's how these things work. I've recently hit upon wanting Cybertron Thunderblast for some reason, so I've been checking into her on eBay and trying to make up my mind, but I'm not going to hassle Hasbro about a toy from nearly ten years ago being hard to find, that's just the way it goes.
I was even somewhat miffed about YOTH Prime. It still kind of burns my ass to walk into TRU and see fifty YOTH Starscreams sitting there shelfwarming while Prime doesn't even have the price tag on the shelf. WTF?
I've not seen a single MP in TRU since Thundercracker, which is too bad, since I'd have hella bought Soundwave or Acid Storm (I'm not crazy about Hasbro's deco on Sunstorm), not even the YOTH versions of Prime and Screamer. More to check around online for one day, I guess. Not like there's any shortage of toys that exist for me to buy,
So yeah, I expect to be completely screwed for this.
*whispers* ~iiiiiiiinterneeeeeeet...~
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Well heck, if I was richer I'd just go on ebay or BBTS and buy everything I want. I'm not so I don't. Now, not being able to afford something doesn't bother me. It's not even getting the chance to not afford it. I don't blame MP-10 for not being available, I blame Hasbro for not making enough of them. Ok, yeah, they had a whopping two MPs that shelfwarmed. Whoop de do. Every single one since has sold out and skyrocketed in aftermarket value. Clearly they're not making enough of these otherwise TRU wouldn't have trouble with not ever having any in stock.

I also wouldn't blame Hasbro for Thunderclash being rare/expensive ten years after the fact, but what I would ask is, is the reason you're looking for it now because there weren't any to be found ten years ago? Or, were there plenty there and you just didn't get one for whatever reason? Scenario one is the one I have the problem with. Scenario two not so much.

Yeah, the interenet. Two problems there, one of which is unique to me and won't be a problem much longer, is that my finances get pretty heavily monitored. Anything I buy online essentially needs to be under a certain amount (ie: <$50) and should happen as sparingly as possible in order to not look suspicious. It's much easier for me if I can just go to an ATM, get some cash and go to a store because it's less trackable. Or at least less suspicious. That situation is coming to a close soon though so that might free things up a bit. The other problem is shipping costs but there are usually ways around that or to make it cheaper.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Shockwave wrote:Well heck, if I was richer I'd just go on ebay or BBTS and buy everything I want. I'm not so I don't. Now, not being able to afford something doesn't bother me. It's not even getting the chance to not afford it. I don't blame MP-10 for not being available, I blame Hasbro for not making enough of them. Ok, yeah, they had a whopping two MPs that shelfwarmed. Whoop de do. Every single one since has sold out and skyrocketed in aftermarket value. Clearly they're not making enough of these otherwise TRU wouldn't have trouble with not ever having any in stock.
On the other hand, if Hasbro's still selling their MPs through TRU, and TRU's selling through their stock of MPs and making money off of the deal, both parties are happy there. They've clearly found the magic numbers it takes to sell *enough* of these things. Guys like us who might want to find a Soundwave or something miss out in favor of all the people (or scalpers) who bought them *before* us, but it's not like Hasbro's making it hard for us to get, like, food or something. I'm not super-crazy about MPs anyway, so maybe it just doesn't get to me as much (I do rather want MP G2 Sideswipe lately though).
I also wouldn't blame Hasbro for Thunderclash being rare/expensive ten years after the fact, but what I would ask is, is the reason you're looking for it now because there weren't any to be found ten years ago? Or, were there plenty there and you just didn't get one for whatever reason? Scenario one is the one I have the problem with. Scenario two not so much.
That is a good point, actually, and I probably *could* have bought Thunderblast back when she was actually in stores had she caught my eye (I got 'back' into collecting TFs in the latter half of Cybertron after a minor hiatus), but I didn't, hence the "You missed out" tax.

I did, however, buy a TMII Blackarachnia off eBay a few years ago, and that one I know was a case of "was insanely hard to find in stores" from day one.
Yeah, the interenet. Two problems there, one of which is unique to me and won't be a problem much longer, is that my finances get pretty heavily monitored. Anything I buy online essentially needs to be under a certain amount (ie: <$50) and should happen as sparingly as possible in order to not look suspicious. It's much easier for me if I can just go to an ATM, get some cash and go to a store because it's less trackable. Or at least less suspicious. That situation is coming to a close soon though so that might free things up a bit.
Well by all means, don't let my apologist brand-loyalty harping steer you back into the self-destructive financial spiral of uncontrollable toy addiction (at that rate, Hasbro's doing you a favor by not making these things available in your neck of the woods), I'm just talking about availability in general. I'm doing well enough financially myself these days that I can consider throwing $30-40 on evil boat girlbots on eBay, but I can still sympathize with where you're at. You gotta prioritize. Back when I was still trying to Make It, I passed up on a lot of toys I might have wanted at the time, just told myself "I'll buy this a few years later on eBay if I still really want it".
The other problem is shipping costs but there are usually ways around that or to make it cheaper.
I used to worry about shipping more, but then I started realizing how much money you waste on gas driving from store to store looking for these things, so it ends up working out. Not to mention, paying $15-20 for overseas shipping on my weeaboo chingchong toys has kinda desensitized me to mere $5-10 shipping on local stuff.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I dunno, I kind of feel like maybe Hasbro is actually perhaps under producing them. But, at the underproduced rate, they sell out so they don't see any reason to make more. My whole gripe really just comes down to opportunity. If I miss an opportunity, that's my fault. But if I don't even have the opportunity to miss, that's someone else's fault and, to me at least, indicates a flaw in the system somewhere. I guess I just wonder why they can manage to have about 20 YOTH Starscreams there but again, the MPs are nowhere. Supposedly the reissue MP Grimlock has already come and gone and I never even saw a price point for it, much like YOTH Prime. That indicates a production problem to me. Sure, crank out 100,000 Starscreams but only about 50 Primes and, umm... 10 Grimlocks. I'm exaggerating, but you see my point.

You do make a good point about the finances although I really have gotten better at that. And you're right that Hasbro has made things pretty easy to skip with their shoddy distribution. The other way I've cut things back is by only having 1 of a certain character. So if I actually were able to get MP-10, I would then sell Classics Prime because I don't need two "G1" Primes. This does not carry over to other scales or other lines. So having Optimus Prime from Car Robots wouldn't count as "G1 Prime" so I could still have both in my collection. The same applies to currently having 1 Legends Prime and 1 Classics Prime. Plus, I don't feel the need to buy new versions of characters I already own. Example: I actually really want to get the updated Armada Starscream. But, I already have Classics Starscream. On top of that, I also have WFC Starscream. So that's actually two Starscreams and I just don't need a third. I'd prefer that money go to another figure that I don't have. So in that sense, it's become a lot easier to skip a lot of things on the shelves. The fact that there have been two movies lines during this phase of my life has also helped since I don't like the movie designs, that's like an easy year of free skip for me.

EDIT: Holy crap, I was just looking at the release waves for these on TFW and realized that they're not even releasing the full sets in the same waves!! Wave one will have Silverbolt and 3 other Aerialbots and one Stunticon and then wave 2 will have Motormaster, the other 3 stunticons and the remaining Aerialbot?!?! Fuck. I'm out. There's no way this will ever come together here I'll tell you that right now. I guarantee you that one of those is going to wind up short packed and scalped to hell and then there'll be at least a 6 months to a year turnaround between waves. This is gonna suck. Big time. Game over man, game over!