Combiner Wars

The IDW Comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's now significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade.
User avatar
Shockwave
Supreme-Class
Posts: 5994
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by Shockwave »

I did try the code, but it wouldn't work.

User avatar
JediTricks
Site Admin
Posts: 3728
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: LA, CA, USA

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:I did try the code, but it wouldn't work.
Weird, maybe you spelled it wrong, it was working for me for preorders at that time. My Megatron preorder already shipped.
Image
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?

User avatar
Dominic
Supreme-Class
Posts: 9105
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by Dominic »

I am not sure if this is one of the options that Tiger posted a while ago. But, Honeybear found this today.

http://mattbooker.info/2015/03/18/bette ... blackjack/

User avatar
Shockwave
Supreme-Class
Posts: 5994
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by Shockwave »

Leader Megatron (G1): Preordered from BBTS. I have wanted this ever since I saw the pics and having it in hand, it delivered. It's just so pretty. I seriously can't stop looking at that head sculpt. It's appropriately geewunny, reminiscient of the old cartoon but detailed like in the current comics. The chest is also pretty remeniscient of G1 Megs as is most of the rest of the figure. Good posability, he can take the pose shown on the card included with him, which I think is a good test. Transformation isn't quite what I expected, he basically is an upscaled version of the most recent Legends figure with his arms forming the turret of the tank and the legs and everything else forming the tank. The arm cannon has some nice touches to it, you can leave it with the launcher pointing forward like Armada Megs, or turn it around or more geewunny flavor. As JT mentioned, the treads work and it's awesome. Highly recommended. If you don't have Megatron, get this one. If you have a Megatron and you hate it, replace it with this one. If you have one that you like, chuck it in the fire and get this one. Basically, just get this, you won't be disappointed.

User avatar
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class
Posts: 7022
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:49 am
Location: In front of my computer.
Contact:

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by Onslaught Six »

Shockwave wrote: If you have one that you like, chuck it in the fire and get this one.
This is what Prowl thinks Hasbro is saying with this. :lol:

I can't say he's going to replace my Henkei Megs. But it's a tough decision. I think scale is going to be the biggest factor here. Maybe I'll display Leader Megs in the back of all the Voyager-sized dudes and have Henkei Megs with all the Deluxes and combiners.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Image

User avatar
JediTricks
Site Admin
Posts: 3728
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: LA, CA, USA

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by JediTricks »

While looking for a few figures in storage, I came across Classics Megatron and Classics Jetfire, and compared them to their Generations counterparts. HOLY SHIT DO THOSE OLD GUYS SUCK! Jetfire is painful, this figure was always a little frustrating to me but now I'm strongly considering selling it, it's just awful. The sculpting is wonky as hell, there's a chibi feeling to it with the giant helmet head, the wings are dorky, the vehicle mode is lazy, and parts move way more freely than I remember. There isn't one thing I prefer about it over the new figure.

Megatron is just weird. I like that he transforms from a gun, but the proportions in robot mode are off - fusion cannon, wings, chest. The colors are just hard to look at. The head sculpt isn't much of a thing, it's kinda there but kinda not. There isn't much to the rest of the sculpt, the legs have Megatron-ness, but that's about it. It's not entirely terrible, I wouldn't sell it, but it's not great either.
Image
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?

User avatar
BWprowl
Supreme-Class
Posts: 4145
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:15 pm
Location: Shelfwarming, because of Shellforming
Contact:

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by BWprowl »

Onslaught Six wrote:This is what Prowl thinks Hasbro is saying with this. :lol:
Not really in this case. It's Megatron. I expect them to make a bajillionty different toys of the guy, and at least LeaderMegs and ClaMegs are doing very different things. Plus we got a new ArMegs out of the deal with the new Leader, so that's a bonus to justify the sculpt as well.
JediTricks wrote:While looking for a few figures in storage, I came across Classics Megatron and Classics Jetfire, and compared them to their Generations counterparts. HOLY SHIT DO THOSE OLD GUYS SUCK! Jetfire is painful, this figure was always a little frustrating to me but now I'm strongly considering selling it, it's just awful. The sculpting is wonky as hell, there's a chibi feeling to it with the giant helmet head, the wings are dorky, the vehicle mode is lazy, and parts move way more freely than I remember. There isn't one thing I prefer about it over the new figure.

Megatron is just weird. I like that he transforms from a gun, but the proportions in robot mode are off - fusion cannon, wings, chest. The colors are just hard to look at. The head sculpt isn't much of a thing, it's kinda there but kinda not. There isn't much to the rest of the sculpt, the legs have Megatron-ness, but that's about it. It's not entirely terrible, I wouldn't sell it, but it's not great either.
See, I can't imagine being this fickle. Did your tastes in kids' action figures really become that much more refined in so few years? Three years from now, are you going to be bitching hardcore about how HOLY SHIT DO THESE OLD GUYS SUCK Generations Warpath and Springer and Leader Megatron are and demanding that we get new versions to fix all their obvious flaws?
Image

User avatar
Dominic
Supreme-Class
Posts: 9105
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by Dominic »

I hear that the wave two limb figures come with comics and full page character profiles that the wave one figures lacked. But, that is (apparently) okay because the first wave figures are being re-released with the comics and profiles. If somebody wants a complete and consistent set, they only need to buy the first four figures again.


If I was not one limb away from completing Superion, I might actually have been done because of this shit. The profiles are an upgrade from those stupid trading cards. But, if somebody wants a complete set, they need to re-buy a wave's worth of figures. (Gotta wonder if Hasbro planned that.....) And, if somebody does like the cards, they are out of luck because the new figures do not come with cards.

All this, and reports that deluxes are now selling for $20 in some places.


Just keep pushing Hasbro.


While looking for a few figures in storage, I came across Classics Megatron and Classics Jetfire, and compared them to their Generations counterparts. HOLY SHIT DO THOSE OLD GUYS SUCK! Jetfire is painful, this figure was always a little frustrating to me but now I'm strongly considering selling it, it's just awful. The sculpting is wonky as hell, there's a chibi feeling to it with the giant helmet head, the wings are dorky, the vehicle mode is lazy, and parts move way more freely than I remember. There isn't one thing I prefer about it over the new figure.
Yikes.

Not sure I would agree that 2006 Jetfire sucks. It has problems. But, it is no worse (I would argue better) than the new Jetfire. I was never as enthusiastic about it as some people. I noticed the flaws in '06, so they are not "new" to me now. Maybe that is why I am not as bothered.

Megatron's colours are terrible. And, while the new figure is probably an improvement, I am not sure that the older figure is now that much worse than it was in '06.

Three years from now, are you going to be bitching hardcore about how HOLY SHIT DO THESE OLD GUYS SUCK Generations Warpath and Springer and Leader Megatron are and demanding that we get new versions to fix all their obvious flaws?
Standard should go up over time.

User avatar
BWprowl
Supreme-Class
Posts: 4145
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:15 pm
Location: Shelfwarming, because of Shellforming
Contact:

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:I hear that the wave two limb figures come with comics and full page character profiles that the wave one figures lacked. But, that is (apparently) okay because the first wave figures are being re-released with the comics and profiles. If somebody wants a complete and consistent set, they only need to buy the first four figures again.


If I was not one limb away from completing Superion, I might actually have been done because of this shit. The profiles are an upgrade from those stupid trading cards. But, if somebody wants a complete set, they need to re-buy a wave's worth of figures. (Gotta wonder if Hasbro planned that.....) And, if somebody does like the cards, they are out of luck because the new figures do not come with cards.

All this, and reports that deluxes are now selling for $20 in some places.


Just keep pushing Hasbro.
You might as well complain that the shipping boxes have differently-colored packing peanuts. Literally nobody else cares about this stuff. We buy toys for, y'know, the TOYS.
Three years from now, are you going to be bitching hardcore about how HOLY SHIT DO THESE OLD GUYS SUCK Generations Warpath and Springer and Leader Megatron are and demanding that we get new versions to fix all their obvious flaws?
Standard should go up over time.
Except that toy quality has basically plateaued since at least '99-'00. The quality of detail and articulation has NOT appreciably improved and really, how could it? Unless you want all toys from the Legends class up to have articulated fingers and automatically transform into cock-sucking machines, I don't see how TF toys in general could GET to higher standards.
Image

User avatar
Dominic
Supreme-Class
Posts: 9105
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by Dominic »

Hasbro kept raising the bar through the last decade. Late-UT was better than early UT. Generations/Classics changed over the course of 5 years. The decline started in 2012 or so, and the trend has been downward from there. (Wrists and ankles are less common.)

TFs are still have better than the 5 points of articulation on most Marvel and SW figures. But, that is a low bar to clear.

Post Reply