Upcoming Classics figures

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Upcoming Classics figures

Post by Dominic »

No, we cannot agree that the movie was decent. And, there is no excuse for Hasbro to have mishandled the distribution as badly as they did. They have been handling high-profile movies for over a decade and should have built up institutional skill in handling this sort of thing.

I am okay with new-character recolors, but can mostly agree with PW that endless same-character recolors, (which he seemed to be complaining about), are thin gruel. (I really liked Nightwatch Prime, but can see how some people would be annoyed with it.)

Dom
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Well, with the exception of Don and probably JT, can we agree that the movie was watchable? :D

I liked the 'first' Nightwatch Prime they showed. The one they released in Europe, before they splattered bright blue goop all over him.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Prime_Wreck
Deluxe

Post by Prime_Wreck »

See I don't really care for any of the movie variants or repaints. Between SW and TF I make the execs at Hasbro rich enough.
"Supersizing your Value Meal is the right of all sentient beings"

onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

We can settle for "The movie was very popular with the kind of crowds that buy toys." They had to release vast numbers of repaints to keep stock on shelves. Amusingly, all the Camshafts have long since sold out here, but there's still plenty of Swindles. Apparently there were issues with underproduction at the time.

As for repaints in general, there's many a great character to add new life to an old mould. There's also many examples of problems with the original that were fixed with the repaint, as well as the all-round bonus of having two colour schemes to choose from. If you don't like the first, hey, alternative. And given they're being used to recoup costs and keep fresh product on the shelves while new moulds are being designed and manufactured, it's not like they're standing in the way of fresh product.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

So, Smokescreen.

His gun is red now. That's...pretty sucky. And his cannons are unpainted, like Prowl's. And I was planning on only putting up one.

Still. I'll get him, because it's Smokescreen and he'll do up PBS finally.

I think what I dislike most about it is that...well, he's Smokescreen. And I've honestly never been 'too' fond of G1 Smokey's colour scheme. It's so...bright and toyish. I know, I know, it's a real vehicle, but it still looks pretty dodgy. I'd somehow prefer a dark blue Alts Smokey homage instead.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I like Smokescreen, but the color scheme seems to work better for the vehicle than it does for the bot mode, which looks a little busy. Still, I can't pass him up.

Classics is the first line where I've been seriously tempted to buy two of each figure (at least the less-expensive ones), one to keep sealed and one to open and fiddle with. I haven't done it because I just can't quite make myself buy the same thing twice given my limited hobbies budget finances. Why I'm going in this direction I don't know, since I've never been an MISB collector, but the thought has crossed my mind.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Transformers packaging typically just isn't attractive enough for me to enjoy doing that. Mind, the 'cardbacks' of late have been pretty damn good and during the original Classics line, I actually hung all the deluxe cards up on my wall in that fashion.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

More Smokescreen pics. Looking good.

http://www.tf08.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=121
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Gah, and he's clearly mistransformed. The backpack should be shifted up so the tab is behind his head. Granted, this gives him a bit of a gap in his body, but meh.

I blame AniJazz and MoobieJazz, but this vehicle really is more suited to him than it is PBS. PBS needs a more angular vehicle.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Eh, the color scheme doesn't really sing to me, but I'll at least note my approval of the way they've painted his face, to evoke the cartoon's chinstrap.