United (Million Year Publishing) Artfire

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

United (Million Year Publishing) Artfire

Post by Dominic »

Artfire: (firetruck/robot)

Artfire is a mould bastardization of RTS Grapple, which itself is a retool of TFU Inferno. Inferno is a firetruck and Grapple is a crane. Artfire is a recoloured Grapple with Inferno's head and hands. The crane is used as a place to mount the two Target Master figures, creating a sort of boom-mounted water cannon. (The water cannon is *very* arbitrary and is firmly in the "this alternate mode counts because we say that it is what we say it is" category.)

I hate to say it, given how much I anticipated and paid for this figure, but Artfire is....not so good. It is proof that even an obvious recolour of a solid mould can go wrong.

The head swap itself is fine and helps to differentiate Artfire from Grapple. But, assuming that the head and hands are gang-moulded, it results in Artfire having the more dated block-fists that Inferno had, rather the open hands of more modern figures such as Grapple. Like previous uses of this mould, the front window is completely unpainted, including the divider bar in the middle. This makes the figure look unfinished and is bothersome on mass retail figures. But, on an exclusive that is not only expensive but aimed at adults, it is offensive.

The weapon mounting in vehicle mode looks like something that a fan would come up with. As with Stepper, there are no mould changes to the basic figure (beyond the above mentioned head and hand swaps). However, unlike Stepper, this vehicle mode can hold the Target Masters in the boom-mounted hood. Besides feeling like a fan-mode to begin with, it is clear that the hook was neither made nor remoulded to hold a Target Master. In fact, the hook feels ominously close to breaking when the guns are being attached.

The Target Master figures are mixed.

Sparks is a recolour of PCC Pin-Pointer, almost in a reverse pallet of my own custom figure. The colour swaps (Pin-Pointer/Sparks) are yellow/black, black/grey, with the engine block being black and the face being red. The face paint on my copy is too thick and clearly smeared on. While this is objectively forgivable given the figure's size, it feels out of place on an expensive exclusive. (My custom figure was based on the character's colours in the comic, effectively making my custom more accurate.)

Nightstick is a recolour of....Nightstick. At this point, I am almost thinking of Nightstick as a character class or army builder than as a specific character. The moulding is just vague enough to be either Nightstick or Fracas. This version of the figure has black legs and a silver body with silver arms. (Hasbro and/or Takara need to spring for a new Nebulon mould.)

Dom
-did not get the included comic.