The Transformers (IDW, formerly "Robots in Disguise")

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

The Transformers (IDW, formerly "Robots in Disguise")

Post by Dominic »

The Jon Barber written series starts this week.

Dom
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Robots in Diguise (IDW ongoing series)

Post by Dominic »

Got it and flipped through it.

The art is generally better than the MTMTE book. Writing looks solid enough. (But, this is just a quick flip through.)

The hobo-bot is a bit much, being more or less on the level of Megatron's gladiator hair from "Origins". It is not enough to ruin the book, but I am taking off points.

Dom
-
Spoiler
Bumblebee might want to consider having Metal Hawk whacked.... Just sayin'...
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Alright, there’s a lot I like in this issue, so I’ll get the parts I don’t like out of the way first. Unmarked spoilers ahoy! Why are you even here otherwise?

The designs of some of the neutral TFs, especially in those early crowd shots, are not very good. I’m not saying every TF has to look alike, but a lot of them are *too* utterly non-TF or even non-robotic in some cases, and it really throws me off. I like the idea of neutral guys on different planets for ages that adopted new alt-modes and functionality to suit that, but in practice, some things actually look too weird. And this is coming from me, so it’s apparently pretty pervasive. I’m also no wild about the implications of Prowl’s mysterious ‘friend’. While not quite as blatant a plot-deadline as MTMTE’s message from the future, it’s still more of an obvious mystery-hook than I’d like, though the execution at least makes me more optimistic about how it could turn out, though I’m also worried that they may be trying to pin some of Prowl’s more unsavory decisions and actions on this guy, which sucks because I really liked where they were taking Prowl’s character (and indeed, he’s great in the rest of this issue, more later). Also, some bits of the writing are a bit off. I don’t agree with Dom about Bumblebee having Metalhawk offed, since that would arguably make things worse, but WHY does ‘Bee let ‘Hawk come with him for the greetings, when all he does is sabotage his attempts at hospitality and explanation? Metalhawk comes off as a more than annoying jackass here, following Bumblebee around and berating him at every turn. I know ‘Bee is a nice guy, but it’s downright saintly that he never so much as tells Metalhawk to just go away for a while.

Those bits aside, I really liked everything else in this issue. Technically, it’s much of the same as Stormbringer, with a bunch of a-bit-too-human robots on their home planet discussing their issues (more social than environmental this time), but the difference in execution is just *worlds* apart. Whereas Stormbringer was dense, boring, and badly-paced, RID #1 is actually interesting to follow, and entertaining to boot. The whole thing conveys the tension of a recently re-integrated society very well, with the Autobots worrying about the Nails and the Decepticons, as well as how their own guys react to both. Prowl puts up a brave face, but you can tell even he is starting to sweat with how things look to be going down. That tension comes to a head and is conveyed very well in the final standoff scene between Bumblebee and Horri-Bull, and props have to be given to the writer here for managing to craft a situation wherein an Autobot killing a Decepticon actually comes off as a surprising and important turn of events. Everything in the issue leads up to that moment, and that impresses me a hell of a lot more than the parade of faces leading up to a more random plot-twist that MTMTE gave me.

Other cool stuff: Ratbat’s back to being a Senator, Ironhide being pissed off at the planet, presumably knowing that he was the one who set it up to come back to life in the first place, Prowl being generally awesome (“Yeah, you’re the leader, I listened to what you said, can we move on now?”), them keeping up with this ‘Bumblebee is the leader’ thing that I never saw lasting as long as it has, and Skywarp apparently making it back (and now I have to wonder, where’s Thundercracker now?). Oh, and apparently I misread the scene at the end of RID #1, Bumblebee does *not* think Prowl had anything to do with Rodimus’s shuttle exploding (or if he does, he’s keeping quiet, possibly out of denial, possibly out of fear of Prowl). Anyone else thinking the Autobots are going to split into ‘Prowl’s guys’ and ‘Bumblebee’s guys’ later down the line? The art’s nice too, I like the way they’ve pulled off the WfC aesthetic here (while a small thing, the glowy bits are very well done), and I won’t deny that a little bit of that is because WfC Bumblebee has already been my ‘display as leader of the Autobots’ Bumblebee for some time now.

Overall, I rather liked it, and I’m actually excited for the next issue. This actually felt like the first part of a story, rather than the extended prologue/introdump/trivia collection MTMTE came off as.
Spoiler
Dom, I don’t know that Bumblebee’s the type to have Metalhawk assassinated (and I’m not even sure it would be a good idea; if he turned up dead who do you think the FIRST guy the Nails suspect would be?), but I can totally see Prowl ordering that sort of thing later.
When I get home today, Universe Prowl’s gonna start an extended desk tenure.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Was planning a trip to the comic shop to grab this and the new TMNT this weekend, but Diamond shafted them on copies and I didn't get one. They were super cool and said they're working to make sure I get one on next Wednesday though. So I won't be able to read it (unless there's scans?) until next weekend.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I’m also no wild about the implications of Prowl’s mysterious ‘friend’. While not quite as blatant a plot-deadline as MTMTE’s message from the future, it’s still more of an obvious mystery-hook than I’d like, though the execution at least makes me more optimistic about how it could turn out, though I’m also worried that they may be trying to pin some of Prowl’s more unsavory decisions and actions on this guy, which sucks because I really liked where they were taking Prowl’s character
The impression I have is that it is less a question of shifing responsiblity from Prowl than it is showing how far/wide his influence runs. Prowl is willing to have somebody whacked. We know this. But, that does not mean he has the practical ability to do it himself. But, that is what "friends" are for.
I don’t agree with Dom about Bumblebee having Metalhawk offed, since that would arguably make things worse, but WHY does ‘Bee let ‘Hawk come with him for the greetings, when all he does is sabotage his attempts at hospitality and explanation? Metalhawk comes off as a more than annoying jackass here, following Bumblebee around and berating him at every turn. I know ‘Bee is a nice guy, but it’s downright saintly that he never so much as tells Metalhawk to just go away for a while.
The more Metalhawk keeps stirring up the pot, the worse things could get though. And, the quicker Metalhawk gets shut down, (which would admittedly not be likely to help the plot), the quicker people would forget about him and settle down.

Anyone else thinking the Autobots are going to split into ‘Prowl’s guys’ and ‘Bumblebee’s guys’ later down the line? The art’s nice too, I like the way they’ve pulled off the WfC aesthetic here (while a small thing, the glowy bits are very well done), and I won’t deny that a little bit of that is because WfC Bumblebee has already been my ‘display as leader of the Autobots’ Bumblebee for some time now.
I am thinking "Bumblebee in the middle", between Prowl and Metalhawk maybe?

The WfC aesthetic (complete with pinkish/red highlights) was a bit jarring at first. I do not dislike it, but it looked weird.
Was planning a trip to the comic shop to grab this and the new TMNT this weekend, but Diamond shafted them on copies and I didn't get one. They were super cool and said they're working to make sure I get one on next Wednesday though. So I won't be able to read it (unless there's scans?) until next weekend.
Sometimes, I swear that Diamond is trying to kill the industry.

Dom
-how far behind in this book is too far behind?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I know, right? I can forgive a creative team missing a month here and there if it's rare (less than once a year is my benchmark. Atomic Robo had their first delay ever that the creative team actually caused, and that's because the artist had some family issues come up. It's only a month late. They've never done this before, though they've been late thanks to Diamond.)

The only reason I'm also not totally pissed at my comics shop is I know how these things work, and also I really like that place.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Stuff like this really is not the fault of the store though. I have heard more than enough horror stories about Diamond to give stores a pass when it looks like Diamond is to blame.

Of course, stores around pretty much admit that to not bothering to order things....

Dom
-but, yeah, if you can find these books, they are good.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

This is the first time anything like this has happened with them, so I'm giving them a free pass. If this becomes a consistent thing, I may well drop TF.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Six, I think my shop may have a few copies left. If you're worried about Diamond not coming through for your place, would you want me to grab a copy here and mail it to you?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

BWprowl wrote:Six, I think my shop may have a few copies left. If you're worried about Diamond not coming through for your place, would you want me to grab a copy here and mail it to you?
If next week goes by and it still isn't in there, then yeah...I'll call that Diamond fucking over my store. We'll see.