The Transformers (IDW, formerly "Robots in Disguise")

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Robots in Diguise (IDW ongoing series)

Post by Onslaught Six »

What, does Wheeljack pull out swords and start acting like Drift, or something?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Wheeljack is drawn to look like the current toy. It is not exact, but the art looks more like TFP than TFG.

Dom
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Yeah, Wheeljack does look like he's based mostly off the Transformers: Prime design rather than the Generations or the War For Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron designs that so many of the other characters have taken on.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Got the first issue yesterday and I find this very interesting. I've often wanted to see what life would be like in a post war Cybertron and this first issue definitely delivers. First impressions: Metalhawk needs to shut the fuck up. Seriously, the guy's a dick. All he ever does is undermine Bumblebee at every opportunity. Like he's constantly telling new arrivals shit like "Yeah, the Autobots fucked everything up". Really? What did you do? You ran the fuck away you god damn pussy. And now you think that makes you better than the ones that stayed and fought for something? Seriously, he needs to shut the fuck up. At least this is what I would say if I were Bumblebee.

SENATOR Ratbat. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Senator of WHAT, exactly? The Decepticon delegation to the Autobot "High Council"? Yeah, good luck with that title, Batty. I do like Prowl's solution to the Decepticon problem. It might be a bit extreme, but there would have to be some way to control former enemy troops who might want to start things up again.

I also see that everyone (who has said designs) are using the War For Cybertron designs. I like most of the designs so seeing them in a non video game context is kinda cool.

Overall, so far I really like this series. It's offering ideas and doing things with the Transformers concept far beyond just Teh good gaiz vs. teh bad guyz! Plus, the mass return allows the writers to almost literally use any characters from any iteration of Transformers without having to explain why they're there.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Ratbat is using his pre-war title. Starscream muses a bit on this in issue 3.

Metalhawk is not too far out of line. Look at the US. Who are the one's who are currently leaving? it is, for the most part, the educated. They are taking their brains and money elsewhere, ala Godwin's Gulch. This dynamic even applies to parts of this country. And, if you have a good deal someplace, and another group or 2 ruins it for you, why not be hostile against them?

Either way, this is the book to be reading now. Barber can write.

Dom
-only reads MTMTE as insurance to get this book consistently.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:Ratbat is using his pre-war title. Starscream muses a bit on this in issue 3.

Metalhawk is not too far out of line. Look at the US. Who are the one's who are currently leaving? it is, for the most part, the educated. They are taking their brains and money elsewhere, ala Godwin's Gulch. This dynamic even applies to parts of this country. And, if you have a good deal someplace, and another group or 2 ruins it for you, why not be hostile against them?
I find it interesting that Prowl had Ratbat assisinated. Course, we're only three issues into it, but I'm guessing he didn't want part of the old regime that lead to the war in the first place being put back in power. It makes sense and is logical. And I also find amusing but not unrealistic that Ratbat thought he was just going to go back to his prewar political status like nothing had changed.

As for Metalhawk the answer to your question is, because it doesn't help. This is like someone freaking out after witnessing a tragedy. You know what's not helping? Your yelling about! Now, if Metalhawk and the other Nails didn't want to be part of the war, that's fine, but when the war's over and everyone's trying to make the best of a tense situation making snide comments and constantly undermining the current authority doesn't do anything for anyone. In fact, it just makes things worse. All Metalhawk has done is create a third faction, the NAILs. And Bumblebee is an idiot for making him part of the government and giving real authority to Metalhawk. It only undermine's Bumblebee's authority even further.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Shockwave wrote:
Dominic wrote:I find it interesting that Prowl had Ratbat assisinated. .
WHAT???

So another Marvel TF G-1 Decepticon leader gets killed off in the IDW TF G-1 comic?

Is IDW on a mission to ruin the TF fiction?

I guess killing off or MIA megatron,Optimus & Galvatron wasn't enough IDW damage in the Choas saga.

To make matters worse Scorponok got buthered in the weird IDW TF G-1 headmasters clone saga. Thunderwing went crazy & lost his marbles. Sixshot got taken off-line by galvatron. overlord got taken apart from the inside by a micro-virus.

My guess is Shockwave gets destroyed by orion pax.

I haven't bothered to read any IDW TF G-1 comics,since choas ended in december 2011.

I was debatting a return or not in june 2012 via TFP's from amazon.com.

I might just buy the simon furman re-generation issues 80.5 thru 100 & that's it. I'm hoping simon furmans regeneration saga is so successful hasbro/idw ask simon not to finish it but to continue it with more comic issues.

here's hoping IDW'S 2012/2013 RID & MTMTE are epic fail get cancelled & simon furmans re-generation continues past #100 & takes over as the sole TF G-1 IDW comics.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

No, Shockwave is still around but apparently has no interest in leadership. And there's still Starscream.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Shockwave wrote:No, Shockwave is still around but apparently has no interest in leadership. And there's still Starscream.
I was referring to the rumors about IDW 2012 regarding the issues #7 thru #12. that revolve around shockwave getting killed.

I fully realize shockwave hasn't died yet in the IDW TF G-1 2012 comics,as their only up to issues #3

Starscream is a joke,he's no way near the top leaders that the following decepticons who either got killed or lost their marlbes or got heavily damaged in IDW TF comics: Scorponok,Galvatron,Megatron.Overlord,Ratbat,Shockwave,Thunderwing,Jhiaxus.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

find it interesting that Prowl had Ratbat assisinated.
I got the impression that he wanted Ratbat subdued, but is just not too upset that he died. (Look at the conversation he and Arcee have about it. "Uh, did you at least try to arrest him?" "Yeah. Sorry. Could not make it happen." "Bullshit, but ah screw it."

All Metalhawk has done is create a third faction, the NAILs. And Bumblebee is an idiot for making him part of the government and giving real authority to Metalhawk. It only undermine's Bumblebee's authority even further.
Most people would be NAILs. "You fucked it up for everybody you idiots."

The main characters in most comics are the people you least want to deal with in real life. RiD follows that dynamic.

....To make matters worse Scorponok got buthered in the weird IDW TF G-1 headmasters clone saga. Thunderwing went crazy & lost his marbles. Sixshot got taken off-line by galvatron. overlord got taken apart from the inside by a micro-virus....
What comics are you reading?

Clone saga? Who cares if IDW Thunderwing went crazy or if Ratbat got killed? IDW has the license to write the comic, and they are not writing the same comic that Marvel did.

When did Sixshot get taken out by Galvatron? He got jobbed in the Metroplex "Spotlight". Micro-virus? When did Optimus die now, what?
I might just buy the simon furman re-generation issues 80.5 thru 100 & that's it. I'm hoping simon furmans regeneration saga is so successful hasbro/idw ask simon not to finish it but to continue it with more comic issues.

here's hoping IDW'S 2012/2013 RID & MTMTE are epic fail get cancelled & simon furmans re-generation continues past #100 & takes over as the sole TF G-1 IDW comics.
That would save me so much money....

Dom
-unless Furman did a good job or something.