The Transformers (IDW, formerly "Robots in Disguise")

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

Re: Robots in Diguise (IDW ongoing series)

Post by andersonh1 »

Issue 1: It's a good start. It's still strange seeing Bumblebee in charge, and since he's still one of the G1 characters I'm least interested in, the parts of the issue that don't feature him are the parts that engaged me. However I definitely enjoy seeing minor characters like Horribull and Needlenose get some page time and some lines. Ratbat in charge hearkens back to Marvel G1 where he was the leader for awhile until Scorponok fried him.

Prowl is ruthless, whether he will admit it or not. And I'm willing to bet Starscream is who he's collaborating with. Both of those character strike me as the type who will work just as well in a political intrigue setting as they did in a wartime setting. I hope Prowl learned from Sunstreaker's mistake though, or it'll come back to bite him.

Who is Metalhawk? A Japanese character? Time to go hit the reference sites and find out.

And if the last page or two are any indication, Prowl might have a rival for ruthlessness. He might want to consider not crossing Bumblebee.

I've enjoyed both first issues this month more than any of IDW's comics for a long time. I think things are looking good for the future.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

andersonh1 wrote:

Who is Metalhawk? A Japanese character? Time to go hit the reference sites and find out.
Yeah, he's a Japanese Pretender guy. There's that BotCon version of him coming out this year that's a Thunderwing remold.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

andersonh1 wrote:Who is Metalhawk? A Japanese character? Time to go hit the reference sites and find out.
Well now you HAVE to watch Masterforce. ;D
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I've watched...a very little bit of Masterforce. The bit where Snaptrap calls the Seacons and they form Piranacon, and then Ginrai has to combine with his trailer to put the beatdown on 'em? I know it's not the same characters or anything, but that's two of my favorite toys fighting each other there, so it's good stuff in my book.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Yeah, one of the best things about series like Headmasters and Masterforce for us western viewers is seeing toys we had as kids but never saw on TV in animated action at last. It's almost trippy the first time round.

Besides that though, Masterforce actually has.. like.. a plot, and characters, unlike Headmasters, which was just Toei's- rather clumsy- attempt to squeeze the old US context into a less episodic "anime style" story structure. Masterforce truly has its own groove, and is better for it; one of my favourite TF series hands down.

BUT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT RIDW
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Issues one and two:

This is what comics oughta be.

It is interesting how much of this book resembles the pre-Megatron status quo. The Autobots are in charge, and there is great discontent. Some of it is actually valid. Metal Hawk is a rabble-rousing demagogue. But, for a mech in the street, the apparent death of Hot Rod and his crusaders would look suspicous. The fact that the planet is damaged would not do much for anybody's temperment. (And, it is safe bet that this status quo is going to set up for the Decepticons to rise again.)

The Autobots are trying to keep the planet together. And, even their most expedient tools for doing that are politically dubious and are unlikely to work when the time comes. Prowl is making necessary, if dangerous, deals. I was kind of sorry to see Ratbat die. But, we can safely assume that Barber has no more plans for the character, and there are more interesting things in the works for Starscream. \

Grade: A/B

Dom
-cannot recall Bumblebee trusting Starscream....little help?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:Dom
-cannot recall Bumblebee trusting Starscream....little help?
He’s referring to the *extremely* poor results Sunstreaker got from going in with Starscream in the backstory to AHM.

Anyway, Arr Eye Dee Issue 2:

Yup, I still like it. Things are moving a little fast for my tastes (yeah, I’m fickle with pacing), but at least important events are transpiring and driving the story. Man was I sorry to see Ratbat go already, but the triumphant return of Arcee kinda made it worthwhile. She was not on my short-list of suspects for Prowl’s accomplice (I was naturally expecting a Decepticon), but it turns out she plays off of Prowl well, and the relationship highlights characteristics in both of them nicely. When it’s become clear that even *Prowl* is having to compromise what scruples he still has, you know things are getting tense. And I like that, it’s what I was wanting/expecting from this book from the get-go. It feels a little cheaty to make it so Bumblebee didn’t *really* kill Horri-Bull, especially when they level the blame at Ratbat and then just off him, though it should set it up easier to have guys who’ll want to throw in with Starscream/Bumblebee and others who’ll want to stay with the Soundwave/Shockwave remnants of Ratbat’s leadership. So long story short: They pull a lot of BS with Ratbat, but I think the resulting story interest might be worth it anyway. This issue actually made me interested in Starscream for the first time since Roberts wrote that awesome AHM Coda story about him then just kind of forgot about him. Loved the way he was genre-savvy enough to figure that Ratbat’s plan was doomed to failure. It’ll be interesting to see where they go with him and Bumblebee from here. Bumblebee’s losing it, by the way, and I would bet money that Prowl expected as much. Battle-lines are being drawn, both visibly and behind the scenes, and already I feel like there should be some solid payoff in the next couple issues.

Now I actually rather hope Hasbro gets around to doing a WfC Starscream toy, so I can have one close enough to this version.

So MTMTE is an adventurey, wise-cracking, blockbuster, while RID is a tense political thriller. Cool cool.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

And, the preview for issue 3 is up:

http://www.polarismagazine.co.uk/previe ... isguise-3/

Thoughts in the spoiler tag:
Spoiler
Barber gets more done in 6 pages than Roberts gets done in a single issue. Right when I was wondering who Barrelroll was, it became apparent. (He was there to die.) So far, Barber is steering clear of straight forward faction lines. And, this is good. I am actually curious about what Starscreams angle is and (more importantly) how it will go wrong. The appearance of robohobo mars the preview pages slightly though...

Dom
-hunkering down for the week.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Metalhawk's design is starting to bother me. Not the actual design, but the proportions. He's got this really thin, spindly chest and arms. I'm not sure who it reminds me of; some Energon or Cybertron-era toy. If his arms are going to be that small, then they should be closer to his body. It's 'very'' strange. Maybe he'll get armour later that makes him resemble his Pretender shell.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Issue 3:

Okay, first a bit of irony. This issue of "Robots in Disguise" has done as much to tempt me to buy a toy as anything else this year. If I did not know about "Prime" Wheeljack, I would be fine with "Generations" Wheeljack. But, no...

Anyway, I am skipping that toy.

The comic itself is solid. We all expected schisms and divisions to crop up. But, the lines are much different than one might reasonably expect. This issue focuses on Wheeljack taking a systemic view of Cybertron and the politics, with a healthy amount of technowank. This might be wowing me a bit more than Costa's run as a whole, if not the first 6 issues of his run. Either way, this is an amazing book.

Grade: A

Dom
-will pick up Barber's "GI Joe" movie prequel after it is compiled.