More than Meets the Eye (IDW ongoing comic)

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: More than Meets the Eye (IDW ongoing comic)

Post by Dominic »

My general issue with "More than Meets the Eye" is that for everything it does I like, it does two things that I do not. The book has good ideas, but those get lost in pointless digressions, whimsy and "teh feelz". It has some good moments. But, they work better as moments when the book is not trying to create moments. (Put another way, neurotic little assholes like Swerve are cool if they are uniquely neurotic. But, there are too many of them on the Lost Light, and they all get page time.)

Just gonna wait for Wreckers and seen what happens.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Yeah, it does have some pretty cringe worthy moments and that many neurotic characters does get on my nerves a bit too. I'm going to get meta for a moment, which I almost never do just on general principal, but I think a lot of the current TF appeal for me is that IDW is still continuing to do things that the big two inherently fail on. Things like I mentioned before where changes and character deaths actually stick. So I guess in that way, if the neurotic cast does get thinned out a bit, you can be (mostly) sure that they'll be gone for good (yeah, I know, Rewind. Like I said, there are cringe worthy moments). I also like that they are actually exploring the changes that they've made too. Post war Autobot Megatron, Starscream in command of Cybertron and trying to juggle the responsibilities of leadership. Actually, that would make a good issue, seeing Starscream reflect on his leadership now vs. when he failed at it before. Anyway, yeah IDW is still continuing to impress me with their TF titles in spite of the cringe worthy moments. The fact that they don't just follow the big two when they could and have come so close in the past is what keeps me reading. Well, that and the fact that it's Transformers.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I agree that more changes stick at IDW than at the big two. But, that might be a questiion of a slower turn-around on a looser curve. IDW recently introduced a floating time-scale in RiD, along with pointless back-writes.

Sunstreaker and Thundercracker were dead for a while. Then, they got back-written alive again. (Sunstreaker was alive the whole time. Thundercracker did not get shot in the face, regardless of what the art implied. Cue the fucktardery debate....and go!)

Remember when Optimus Prime gave up the name and left? That may as well have never happened. Nightbeat came back from a death that was very similar to Bumblebee's and Shockwave's. Kup is back. Scrapper is on the edge of coming back. (The clumsily drawn panel that is being fixed in the compilation is probably indicative of a long term plan to bring him back.)

IDW is still doing better than the big two in this category, but not by enough to counter other problems. (RiD is the most anemic thing I have dropped in a while.)

Marvel is doing a full re-set. And, some of the upcoming series look promising. Hama's "GI Joe" is allegedly finding a solid direction. And, while I am likely going to go back to waiting for compilations, "Injustice" is still a damned find series. There are better books on the racks right now.

I am planning to give "Sins of the Wreckers" a chance.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

When did Nightbeat die? Kup was never really dead to begin with, he was stuck back in time in the dead universe. They essentially just fished the much much older him out of it along with Nightbeat.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Nightbeat died late in Furman's run.

Shot in the head, and it was to late. Nightbeat had a bad fate, bad fate. His corpse washed away, through a whole in space. Nightbeat had a bad fate, bad fate.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Sunstreaker and Thundercracker were dead for a while. Then, they got back-written alive again. (Sunstreaker was alive the whole time. Thundercracker did not get shot in the face, regardless of what the art implied. Cue the fucktardery debate....and go!)
Or you could just accept Thundercracker wasn't a back-write and that the art was purposefully vague in order to leave his fate open ended.
Nightbeat came back from a death that was very similar to Bumblebee's and Shockwave's.
Nightbeat was shot in the head in a chamber leading to the Dead Universe where the dead are alive, and that no longer exists thanks to Shockwave... While Bumblebee had a huge hole blasted through his chest and then his corpse, along with Shockwave, were consumed by the singularity created by Shockwave's chronal drive. Granted, I think Shockwave's description of what he planned to do with that singularity could serve as a means to bring them both back alive at some point, but that remains yet to be seen...
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Sparky Prime wrote:Or you could just accept Thundercracker wasn't a back-write and that the art was purposefully vague in order to leave his fate open ended.
Dominic wrote:Cue the fucktardery debate....and go!
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

^
|
|
|
|
sigh -----|
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

:roll:
Sparky Prime wrote:Or you could just accept
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Just ignoring all that...

#46 - Animals - Fort Max as the duly appointed enforcer of the Tyrest Accord aggressively enforces what he was appointed to, to the point of enforcing crimes that haven't happened yet. He's also shrunk even more in the art. This book is the second half of the Scavengers story from the previous issue, and plays well with it. Max, with Red Alert in his ear, finds the Weak Anthropic Principle and goes after the Scavengers, killing the slaver Demus (this panel deflates the awesomeness of the end of the previous issue, but whatever), only to find out that not everything is what it seems, that the Scavs aren't total criminals, that Grimlock is on their ship... so many things happen in an action way that still tells a good story, I don't want to ruin the second half, but there are ideas that may piss a few fans off, without being twee or fanservice. I found it fun and a solid comic issue with good character arcs and an ending worthy of the experience.

At no point did we run into The Lost Light, and that absence wasn't felt whatsoever, this book did very well.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?