Animated Review Thread

Some cartoon with big chins and a little girl that got beloved by fans and taken off TV to make way for a different show on another network. Yeah, that's fair.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Animated Review Thread

Post by Onslaught Six »

I didn't talk about the flaws too much. And like 86, a lot of it was "Hey, this could've been so much worse!"

The studio didn't want the TFs to *talk,* for Chrissake.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Onslaught Six wrote:I didn't talk about the flaws too much. And like 86, a lot of it was "Hey, this could've been so much worse!"

The studio didn't want the TFs to *talk,* for Chrissake.
S'right - part of the reason I found the movie entertaining is my having read the script beforehand. I knew how much worse it could've been.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I read that script, but I fail to see how the movie was appreciably better. (A few painfully bad bits were taken out, but that is like saying that I only got 5 enemas, instead of 6.)

Dom
-Colonicons, Enamize!
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

It's not that the end result movie was better than the script--it's that the script in and of itself was better than how horrible it could've been.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

I think it was the humour in the dialogue that got me the most. Believe it or not, I've still only seen the movie all the way through the once, and don't have an enormous pressing need to see it hundreds more times. It's a flashy popcorn-fest, but damnit, some of the action sequences are still really neat, and the CG does impress. Frenzy is winning.

At the very least, it has given us a semi-decent new continuity unencumbered with the recent brand of unecessary pseudo-mystical technobabble, and a few interesting characters. Plus the aesthetic, which 'different' if nothing else. Then there's the brand saturation and the mainstream acceptance of TF as a cool thing to be into. Of course, the people that thing the live-action Transformers movie is the BEST MOVIE EVAR aren't likely to be the kind of consumers that appreciate subtle nuances in some of the better fiction anyway..

Hooray, hideously off topic already! Really is home, heh.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I've watched the movie all the way through...three times.

Twice in the theatre (once on my lonesome, then later with my then-roommate), and recently with my brother and his wife, because she badly wanted to catch it. They seemed to like it okay, and if "normal" people think it's decent, then it does it's job as a big-budget movie that needs to attract more than the fandom.

It holds up, but, as I've said before, I'm so done with the movie toys. Hopefully I'll feel differently when the sequel comes out, but for now...I haven't even unpacked the ones I already have. The Animated Aesthetic's just so much more pleasing to my eyes.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
CrossRook
Gestalt Combiner

Post by CrossRook »

I saw it six times in theaters, then countless times at home. I frickin' love that movie.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

onslaught86 wrote:I think it was the humour in the dialogue that got me the most. Believe it or not, I've still only seen the movie all the way through the once, and don't have an enormous pressing need to see it hundreds more times. It's a flashy popcorn-fest, but damnit, some of the action sequences are still really neat, and the CG does impress. Frenzy is winning.

At the very least, it has given us a semi-decent new continuity unencumbered with the recent brand of unecessary pseudo-mystical technobabble, and a few interesting characters. Plus the aesthetic, which 'different' if nothing else. Then there's the brand saturation and the mainstream acceptance of TF as a cool thing to be into. Of course, the people that thing the live-action Transformers movie is the BEST MOVIE EVAR aren't likely to be the kind of consumers that appreciate subtle nuances in some of the better fiction anyway..

Hooray, hideously off topic already! Really is home, heh.

As a moderator, I feel I should come in and do something about this....namely help take it further off track, thus advancing our goal of truly recreating BWTF.

I agree, the new continuity is free of mystical gibber-wank, and the mainstream acceptance and accessibility are good. But, my complaints were never about the movie's secondary elements, but about the movie itself. If I rated movies by secondary factors, "Hunt for Red October" would be one of my least favorite movies, and "Transformers" would be my favorite movie.

Dom
CrossRook
Gestalt Combiner

Post by CrossRook »

Dominic wrote:"...the new continuity is free of mystical gibber-wank"
Then what's the Allspark? ;)
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

A single McGuffin, used sparingly in the movie, is one thing. Compare that to pretty much all of the post "Agenda" beast content and about 90% of Furman's output in recent years. And, aside from the Allspark, the movie comics are actually pretty well grounded, actually preserving the Allspark's importanced, in contrast to Unicron showing up and drinking lattes.

Dom
-wonders if anybody will get that reference. (Hint: Self-indulgent writer jumping from Marvel to DC circa '95.)