Animated Review Thread

Some cartoon with big chins and a little girl that got beloved by fans and taken off TV to make way for a different show on another network. Yeah, that's fair.
donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Re: Animated Review Thread

Post by donosaur »

but still... a mace? that's about the most counterintuitive weapon imaginable for a scrawny pterosaur guy to wield. It would be like giving Bulkhead a blowgun.
.................................................................................................................................................................... _,_,_..
...................................................................................................................................................................(..vvvvv
..................................................................................................................................................................(..../"/"
.........................................................................................................................................................(\.....(.....) )
......................................................................................................................................................... \ \../../hh hh
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Heh! True true. Swoop was always the one Dinobot who generally went in with guns rather than his sword. It still really bites that Grims and Snarlag can't use their weapons as jets of flame.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

At least Swoop can lug his mace around in Beast Mode, making him the only Dinobot with some semblance of altmode weapon storage.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Having bought Swoop, it turns out he's a pretty decent figure. Still very plain and lacking in detail, as are most TFA figures, but has a number of nice features including the flapping wings, and the torso lengthening. He's a thin enough figure that the lack of details doesn't bother me in the same way that it does on most versions of Animated Prime, or on Bulkhead. I think a very nice Beast Machines Silverbolt could be made from Swoop's general design, and erase the memory of that less than stellar toy.

And I like the spiky lava mace on the chain... very cool weapon.
donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Post by donosaur »

I got Swoop too. I find him to be not nearly as graceful in execution as the other animated toys I've seen. The loose bird head formation is a little bothersome, and his legs need to collapse a bit more to make a decent pterodactyl. I'm impressed that his arms connect to his wings and still flap, but even though they're functional they don't look that good. On the other hand, hey! robot pterodactyl! There's no way I cannot enjoy this thing. And his robot mode is awesome. Tall, thin, a little weird in the arms but he has tons of cool poses and that head sculpt is crazy.

Now for the mace. The mace is currently laying in pieces on my desk and I'm trying to figure out what it was meant to do. Flip out flames? Springs? I'm trying to figure out what step in the development they said "f--- it" and molded it all as one piece. If anyone has any ideas on fixing this, let me know what you've got. All I had to do to fix Snarl's club was paint it.
.................................................................................................................................................................... _,_,_..
...................................................................................................................................................................(..vvvvv
..................................................................................................................................................................(..../"/"
.........................................................................................................................................................(\.....(.....) )
......................................................................................................................................................... \ \../../hh hh
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

It was supposed to have flip-out spikes. They removed them because of possible child hazards--they swallow it and pull the thing and it gets lodged in there.

Yeah, I dunno either.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

DvD actually figured out how to restore the flame gimmick on the mace, and I'd link to it if his kitbashing page wasn't down, mysteriously.
donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Post by donosaur »

I found a tutorial on TFW2005 that made sense and I followed it. For some reason I thought they should have, well... done something more, but given the mold I think this may have been what was intended. NO idea why it would have been changed though, it seems totally pointless. Anyhoo, here's the link, mine turned out sorta like this although I haven't painted mine. http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs ... ce-165741/
donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Post by donosaur »

How come no one told me Ratchet had a space on his arm where you could mount Lockdown's EMP Blaster??? Great, now I HAVE to go buy him.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

It was, like, a major cool point for the toy...like six months ago.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.